Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk I know no one is perfect but @_@; (Medical Diagnostics)

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/24 21:32:29 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I'm just frustrated!

In short Me :

I can remember as far back as 3rd grade having awful bathroom problems.
My diet wasn't bad. I wasn't a junk food addict.
Like the only years in my life I was nutritionally negligent was 2012 and 2014.
So the waves of intense diarrhea and constipation,
bloody stools, etc. Became a norm for me. I had a colonoscopy when I was 19, they saw nothing.
My grandmother has the same problem. We both
were given the generic IBS/possible IBD diagnosis and no typical medicine gave us relief. I
t was frustrating being told many years of
my life by doctors to eat healthier. I WAS! I'm not big on sweets much,
yeah I do like chips but I was never crazy with them. So for
years I just accepted it because the doctors (several) said it's just how it is.
It wasn't until I met a doctor in 2016 who asked me if my
grandmother or I had been genetic tested for Celiac. Nope.
Low and behold, after my diagnosis, I told her and bam she was was diagnosed
after being tested too. So for all these years, I'm not a bread fiend but obviously gluten
IS IN A LOT OF THINGS, I just had soul splitting bathroom
episodes because of the sandwiches and such I'd eat. Wow, way to find out so very very late.
Why were hands thrown up and shoulders shrugged
all these years? I was consistently blamed for a bad diet and not being honest
when that wasn't the problem. @_@ A few months after cutting
out gluten and I was using the bathroom like a normal person. How amazing it is to poop,
effectively! On occasion I'll still eat something with
Gluten either by mistake or "Fuck it that looks good" and I severely pay for it usually. xD

In short my cat:

Spent $5000 over the course of a dozen or more visits trying to figure out her problem.
No answers. Intense steaming diarrhea, bloody, going like 5-8 times a day.
Not making it to the litter box on time.
She was always grain free. Tried elimination diet suggested by vet. No luck.
Tried prescription diet. She got massively worse.
They had her on antibiotics for 27 days, dewormed her 5 times,
and even gave her this med to fight against the growth of cancer cells
(which were never confirmed her blood work was fine.) several procedures
and meds and she was getting worse by the day.
Until I spoke with a feline nutritionist who said. "Put her on a brand name
raw diet for 10 days, preferably rabbit or venison or duck.
Let me know what happens." About day 6 her diarrhea was gone.
and now a week or so later after that she is great. No symptoms.
Happy and peppy. :/ The nutritionist suggested the raw, but the vets I was going to were
EXTREMELY against raw and told me trying it would
be putting her at risk. Don't even think about it. But here she is,
seemingly better and needing to heal from the long course of antibiotics.
Again, $5000 in vet appointments. Going as fa as treating non confirmed cancer.
Vs a simple diet change I was told would be bad- but has
been the single only thing to restore her health. I just have to make sure I am safe about how I feed the raw.
(I use a freeze dried raw as
it's less likely to make a mistake compared to raw-raw.)

*face desk*

Donator — she, her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 02:31:16 )
That is the most frustrating thing known to man, not being heard by your health care provider and having things be brushed off.

It’s not the same but over the last year I have had horrible menstral cycles, bleeding for several weeks 20-30 days, heavy and all my obgyn could say was take birth control, which I could never start due to the length of time I’ve been bleeding. I had a DNC because they said my lining was most likely the issue, which it wasn’t. A year of no help or relief and by researching know others go through the same thing with the same treatments given is mind boggling how is this brushed aside?

I most recently went through the vet thing as well, if I had gone to the nutritionist sooner we could have helped my little guy before he declined to a point of no return.

I’m happy you and your little one are doing much better though :)
Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 02:57:51 )

SirLionelNigelConrad:
Gluten allergy is a serious problem that is actually not very widely known, as I'm sure you have come to realize. It is interesting and good that the gluten free movement has taken off so much. While most people really have no need to avoid gluten this fad has made it easier for those with Celiac. Do you find it is easy to get information on food that is safe for you to eat?

Haha for real though, if not for everyone thinking gluten harms them when it doesn't I wouldn't have so many options!
It's made the transition the couple of years much much easier as I've been able to sort through "this tastes like utter shit." and
"Hey, this is better than the real deal!" (and no in between) in my area it's very accessible. I don't know about others, but I'm okay
if I eat something that was "made in a facility" with gluten, but the product itself doesn't have gluten in its recipe.
To which I don't THINK basic microbes affect me (unless they low key do andit's some kinda response I'm not immediately detecting.)
My internet friend with celiac for them says they can't have anything made within a facility and even the smallest smallest bits sends them
into a horrid flare up. Maybe tormenting my gut all these years granted me that much...for now anyway...

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 02:59:15 )

Lithium:
That is the most frustrating thing known to man, not being heard by your health care provider and having things be brushed off.

It’s not the same but over the last year I have had horrible menstral cycles, bleeding for several weeks 20-30 days, heavy and all my obgyn could say was take birth control, which I could never start due to the length of time I’ve been bleeding. I had a DNC because they said my lining was most likely the issue, which it wasn’t. A year of no help or relief and by researching know others go through the same thing with the same treatments given is mind boggling how is this brushed aside?

I most recently went through the vet thing as well, if I had gone to the nutritionist sooner we could have helped my little guy before he declined to a point of no return.

I’m happy you and your little one are doing much better though :)

I'm very sorry for your loss. :( It makes it so hard when people aren't listening. Just want to shake them and shout out.
"JUST PRETEND FOR A MINUTE THAT I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG. FOR ONE MINUTE. WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY?"

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/25 11:44:31 )
We’ll carry on

The granddaughter of a neighbour has a very serious gluten allergy. I talked to him a few days ago about in the store, as he was looking at spaghetti. In the store in our town, you can’t find many gluten free things at all.

My brother has always been allergic to a number of things and he just added some more. He found out that gluten aren’t too good for him, just like lactose.

My neighbour told me that, he and his wife, often go to a store miles away, because they have all sorts of diet products.
Before Christmas, I’ll ask if I can go with him for a little trip, so my bro won’t spend hours on my toilet after Christmas dinner.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/27 17:47:51 )

@Tuijip: You are a beautiful person to do that. :) I can't imagine not having the access that I do. Without it I might have just been like "Whelp, I've suffered this long. Might as well just prolong it." (I do not advocate that. xD)

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/28 09:07:19 )
We’ll carry on

@Millet: I have some access to diet food items in another store in town, but they’re hella expensive and there isn’t much choice.
My neighbour is fine with me traveling along with them. I’ve known them since I was 2 or 3 and they know about the allergies my bro had as a kid (their son is a year older than my brother, their daughter is a year older than me and a year younger than my brother and I was in class with their youngest daughter for a long time)

As a kid, he was allergic to chocolate, sugar and artificial food colouring. We had to cycle about 10km to go to a store to get him some candy.
We have sugar and artificial food colouring free candy in the supermarket now but still not a lot.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.