Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/8 12:18:27 )
We’ll carry on

Here’s a story for you all the enjoy:

As a kid, I grew up as a homophobe, but in the literal sense of the word.
There was a gay couple living in my neighbourhood and my mother explained that they were both male, but loved each other.
I thought nothing of it really, until I got a newspaper round.

One of the neighbour kids had a newspaper round, but he didn’t want it anymore. His mother asked mine, she asked if I wanted it and soon I had the newspaper round for this weekly, local newspaper.

My round was my neighbourhood and I did it every Wednesday (Wednesday afternoon are free hours for elementary school here).

One day, a man ran out of his house and shouted at me, asking if I was the one who did the newspaper round.
Me, being scared as hell, said yes. He ranted and screamed, until I was nearly crying. He then stopped for a moment and I told him I only got it a few weeks back.
He apologised, but man was I scared of him from then on.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/10 19:50:27 )
Lord! What a jerk! I've never understood people who can be so mean over something so small.

And "-phobe" tends to mean an irrational fear, as I recall, whereas your fear of that bum was very rational ahahaha.
previously keef with a k

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/11 10:10:10 )
We’ll carry on

@keef: the irrational part is that I thought that, because he reacted like that, every gay man was secretly an angry man

Donator — They/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 05:16:27 )

bit ironic that he was a angry gay man when the word gay technically means happy. XD

this reminds me tho of the time a neighbor yelled at me when i was about 10yrs old.
I just stared blankly, confused, and continued what i was doing since she was yelling at me in another language.

I probably should've figured out she was yelling something along the lines of,
"GET DOWN FROM THAT TREE, YOU'RE GOING TO FALL AND BREAK YOUR NECK."

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/16 10:12:08 )
We’ll carry on

@Zuzu: my mother knew them since the 70’s. They used to be neighbours of one of my (homophobic) uncles and, when she was house sitting, they would invite her over for dinner and wine night.
They also kept an eye on her that she didn’t go to bed too late or that she worked too much (she was a caregiver for families in need full tume, worked for the red cross and had several different trainings and course of her work and the red cross).
So, overall, they were happy people and they loved taking care of others, just not that one time.

If you’re high enough in a tree, you can’t really tell what they’re yelling at you, even when it’s in your own language.
“Don’t climb that high up a tree”, “don’t climb on top of the school’s roof”, “be careful, you’ll fall to your dead” all sound the same.

Donator — They/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/17 16:59:13 )

@Tuijp: have you ever climbed to your school's roof? XD

I was pretty high in the tree but oi could still hear what the person was saying,
tho maybe i should've not climbed as high cause i did fall out of the tree on a different day,
when no one was around. luckilly i wasn't hurt, but i did put a dent in the metal shed roof. :vanora_sweat:

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/18 11:37:19 )
We’ll carry on

@Zuzu: there was an elementary school at the end of the street, not my elementary, and there was a huge tree next to it. When you climbed it to the too, you could climb onto the roof of the school.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/18 16:29:16 )

Its very hard for me to be a homophobe because all the gays I ever met were super sweet, happy and funny people. Sometimes really loud and obnoxious but never mean. My mom kept telling me being gay is wrong but... it never made sense to me. So I just laughed at the notion and continue with my life.

Always ping me please.

Donator — They/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/18 19:16:18 )

@Tuijp: oooh that is cool, i kinda always wanted to climb onto my school's roof, but no such luck with having trees nearby. -3-
(Avatar Closet)

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/19 16:31:19 )
We’ll carry on

@Zuzu: it was always fun. There were several tall trees around.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.