Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Cirque ad Infinitum Act 11: Lin's Blaze of Resolve

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 23:49:52 )

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Velvet called out as she wrapped her arms around her body for warmth, treading carefully through the chilling fog. Cold night air seemed to run her through with each shaken step through the dark obscurity ahead, but she had to persevere. What ever was going on, she couldn't give in to hesitation.

"Vyctor? Dr. McMoy? Why'd you guys go and leave me behind?!" Stomping the ground with her heeled boots, she clenched her hands into tight fists. A reluctant sigh escaped her. "Of course I know it wasn't your fault, argh! It's all this f-ahCHOO!" She sneezed, and suddenly there was an explosive sound to her side. Startled, she fell backwards as a flock of crows swooped down from the cloudy skies above and began to circle around her, their cawing loud and aggressive. Their beady red eyes focused on her as if she were prey, her arms raised to defend herself.

After an unsettling breath, however, she realized they weren't attacking.

Velvet hesitantly struggled to a stand and brushed herself off as they simply watched. She blinked with a nervous scratch at her cheek, "Just noisy boys saying hi the only way you know how, huh? I guess you're alright if you don't go pecking at me..." She trailed off as they appeared to be flying in a singular direction before looping back with a curious caw.

She tapped her lip in thought, "Do... they want me to follow them?" Thinking hard for a moment, the lost fashionista decided to throw her lot in with creepy birds. "Bonus points if you lead me back to my friends," she said aloud but her message seemed to fall on deaf ears.

"No matter what happens," Lin began, "I will protect you, little prince." He placed a hand gently on Io's head.

The Oracle reached up to grab his arm as if seeking warmth. "You are continuing to give me nicknames even now?"

The Ringmaster smiled, "Now is the perfect time, of course!" He frowned just as quick. "We only have a little while before that bastard takes over, so we should use every bit of it."

"I suppose you are correct," Io took the man's larger hand in both of his, and held it with a nod. "You will ensure no one interrupts me?"

Lin gave the other's hand a reassuring squeeze. "Promise. Ain't nobody going to touch a hair on your head 'cept me, jellybean."

"I will hold you to that, should everything fall away from us."

Lin let out a laugh, "Can you even imagine nothingness? What a cruel punishment indeed! Nah, I swear I'd sooner die than let this moment go to waste."

"Lin!" Smolkie shouted. "Stop it this instant, I say! Miss Wattson is innocent!"

That voice. Beyond familiar and oh-so-irritating. It was like a knife through the darkness. Lin opened his eyes then and saw through his burning gaze a young woman squirming in his grasp. Velvet Wattson, she who assisted Arika days ago. He had his fingers wrapped around her throat, but the realization that life was ebbing from her face made him release his hold as if struck. She fell unceremoniously to the ground and gasped for breath.

"That's right, my boy!" Smolkie approached him as the others tended to Velvet. "You're better than this! Fight the dar-" He was cut off by the Ringmaster's whip cutting through the air and just narrowly missing him.

"Silence," Lin's voice came out a harsh snap. A lifeless rasp echoing the shadows billowing from his form. "You abandoned Io," his eye flared with energy red and hot. "When things grew difficult, you gave up. What could you understand of Cirque ad Infinitum? Of my family or the life of my Io? You had your chance to adopt him, to prevent Veles' evil, and you failed." He cracked the whip of fire and flames burst high in a circle around you and the group. There was no escape.

He held the whip in one hand, grip painfully clenched.
"I hesitated once, but I will not again. None of you shall pass while the Oracle's will yet struggles."

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 23:50:19 )
Summary
Velvet has stumbled upon the Ringmaster, but...
Lin doesn't seem to be in his right mind, much like the others.
You've saved Velvet, but now you and the gang are trapped!
Can you endure Lin's assault, or will your friends fail you?

Instructions
The game you will be playing is hot potato - only called pass the flame
At the start of each round, Lin will @ping a random online Voltie
The pinged Voltie must ping another Voltie within an indicated time frame
Time frame and number of pings needed for each round changes and will be stated
You cannot ping who pinged you
If a Voltie does not reply to a ping and effectively pass the flame, there will be a second chance period
During second chance, the first person to roll a 6 on a D6 gets the flame and is responsible for pinging the next Voltie
Failure to pass the flame the indicated number of times will result in a loss of 1 life point for you as a community
You lose the game if your life points go to zero

The community begins the game with 10 life points

Prize
Victory against Lin will unlock additional poses to the Ringmaster EI.
Participants will be granted a free copy while additional copies can be purchased at Joyful Jamboree.

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 23:51:00 )
The Ringmaster fell to one knee, breathing labored. "I... cannot..." He shook his head weakly. "I... will not... let you pass..." His voice broke through clenched teeth as tears ran down his face. "I must not... fail him." The flames that surrounded them surged upwards as if renewed by Lin's indomitable spirit despite his deteriorating condition.

"You haven't failed anyone, my boy," Smolkie stepped forward with a wary smile, sweat dripping from his brow. He knelt down before the Ringmaster and brought his pocket watch to bear. "You fought hard, but it's time to rest - rest, I say. Allow us passage so that we may help Io achieve whatever it is that needs doing, hm?" Channeling his mystical power into the watch, Smolkie slowly pressed it against the young man's forehead.

"You have struggled against this most malignant of foes long enough, I think!" The hypnotist nodded and with conviction, cried out: "Debilis tenebrae animus!" Lin gasped in pain as strands of shadow shot out of his body and swirled to where the watch met his skin. The others watched in morbid fascination as Smolkie thrust the watch away and drew with it the corrupt energies that had tormented the young man for so long.

Laughter would always come from his room, and little Lin was to thank for that. He was a blessing not just to his ailing father, but to all the nurses and doctors who he would make smile with his acts of wonder even then. One day as they were conversing, the father made an appeal most cryptic to his dear son.

"Could I talk to you about something of seriousness for a moment, my sweet boy?"

Lin grinned big as he shuffled a pack of cards, "Of course, da! I'm just a kid, so I dunno if I can do anything big, but ya know I'm here for you!"

His father smiled while laying a frail hand atop his head, "I know, sweet boy. You know what awaits me, don't you?"

Lin stopped the sway of his legs and instead looked down at his feet, uncharacteristically quiet for a brief second. An almost indiscernible second. Then he looked up and nodded, radiant grin ever present. "I know you'll have to go away soon, but that's a-OK! Ya know why?"

"Hmm... is it because you can take on anything as my son?"

"Nope!" Lin drew a card from the deck and flashed it: one of the Major Arcana, the World. "Cuz Io tells me uhm... we are each the center of our own world, and within me exists everyone I know and love! That means you, da, Io, and all my friends at the orphanage!"

"Ah, you both are so wise for ones so young. If only your da's family could see the world with that same light. Come close, sweet boy, for I wish to tell you of my will."

Lin's father would pass not long after that, peacefully, and little Lin would see himself at the center of a struggle for power. His father was a wealthy man who gave back to the community with many things, but the orphanage Lin frequented was one of his favorite ventures. Lin spent a great deal of time there building true relationships.

Thus when the day came that a meeting was held to finally decide who would claim him as their son, and subsequently, gain access to his father's wealth, Lin had only one answer for them.

"I'll be living with my friends at da's orphanage," he spoke into the mic, face barely peeking up past the podium. "Thass all! Thank you for coming today," he hopped down off the box he was standing on as a stunned silence fell over the room.

"W-wait, you can't do that! You're just a kid! What about the money?!" A nobody shouted, outraged.

Lin glanced at him with a smile, "I can and I did! It's in the will. If you gotta know, I'll probably use it to better the orphanage... and then? Hmm, I've always been good at tricks! Maybe I'll start a circus?"

"A... a circus?!" Another cried. "This is ridiculous! I didn't spend so much time on some snot-nosed little brat just to have him-"

Lin had already left.

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/5 23:52:28 )
Warm-up round will begin in 10 minutes to give participants a chance to read and get settled in.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:05:52 )
OMG This sounds like fun. XD
Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:09:38 )
It sounds like they are consumed by the darkness, pointing fingers blindly. Not being adopted by someone doesn't mean you get to blame them for any pains or misfortunes you suffer. Being a parent is a very big step.

Donator — He Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:09:48 )
Ohhh this is exciting

Donator — Ze/Zir Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:13:44 )
Jesi Says --->

OOOO yas a fun game

also oh damn Lin looks gr8

~LittleWhiteDragonlet~
Voltra Art Shop ~Open~ | Avatar and Art Gallery

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:14:31 )
Aw man. I guess try not to ping users who are online but not active then.
We can't help it if Lin does it, so we'll have to avoid doing it ourselves

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:15:45 )
That sounds like a plan Rallaa~

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:16:39 )
WARM-UP ROUND START!

Duration is 10 minutes. There must be 20 pings to pass!

@Saeyra: You have been flamed! Pass it on or burn.

No life points will be lost in this round should failure come to pass! Official rounds will begin afterwards!

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:18:49 )

@SnakeWeaver: I pass it to youuuu

Always ping me please.

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:19:19 )
@rallaa: I pass the flame onto you!

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:20:25 )
@Elithiya: You look so pretty and angelic~

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:21:49 )

oh gee, this one seems nerve wracking >.<

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:21:57 )
@Elithiya: Please take this. It's hot.
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:23:33 )
@Elithiya: Just a dark snake look XD I am a sea snake after all~
Free Tiny Pride Flags

Donator — He Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:23:51 )
@Apollo Im Burning: take it please xD

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:24:21 )

asldfkjslfj
@Amber Lynne: please take it ; o ;

pls don't

Donator — Ze/Zir Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/6 00:24:55 )
Jesi Says --->

sdfghjk this is ;;; more stressful than anticipated lmao

~LittleWhiteDragonlet~
Voltra Art Shop ~Open~ | Avatar and Art Gallery

Fae | 27 | They/Them
Please Always Ping!
RLC Commission Prices

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.