Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Cirque ad Infinitum Act 8: Berinhard's Ring of Fright

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:29:58 )

A large tire shot out of the dense fog and spun right towards the unsuspecting group. Fortunately for them, a hero was waylaid by recent events. A figure dashed in front of them, feet pressed firmly against the ground. They held a long wooden stick in one hand which they used to swing at the tire, and the two forces clashed in a squealing contest of might.

Hero was knocked back an inch, but retained their footing and ultimately prevailed. They blasted the tire upwards and out of sight. They released a shaky breath afterwards and turned to the group, "Hello friends! Are you all alright?"

They looked at each other and then back at the strangely-clad individual with the paper bag over their head. "Thank you so much," Vivienne spoke up first with a smile.

Vyctor gave a shrug, "Don't know who you are, but that woulda hurt. Thanks a lot, bud."

"Is good save," Vreg nods before Eugene pops out of his hair and squeaks hastily into his ear. "Oh, Eugene thanks bag head too!"

"Oh!" Smolkie's eyes lit up in sudden realization, "Might you be the Hero fellow who won Berinhard's Ring of Might? They say a masked fighter was victorious, and you did just save our lives quite heroically!"

"Aww, shucks..." If the paper bag could blush, it would be fierce as a tomato. "But ahh, heheh... I haven't saved us quite yet, you see, for there's an itsy bitsy liiittle problem."

Velvet pointed behind Hero while still tending to Vivienne. "You mean him?"

Berinhard the Strongman emerged from the fog to tower over Hero. "How could tiny ant be resisting my attacks, hm?" His voice was booming and while familiar, held an unnerving quality to it. His body was also terribly disfigured. Thick arms were now monstrous in size and supported a rippling torso with disgustingly bulbous legs dangling from a tiny gut. He slammed a massive fist into the ground and shouted, "Must be thinking yourselves better than the Strongman, but non! Berinhard is the powerful one here, the only one who can be changing things!"

Hero stepped forward and swung the stick to get a better grip. "You aren't the Strongman I came to fight," they began. "The Berinhard I know from stories would never think strength is the only thing that matters. In fact, you yourself taught me that."

Berinhard narrowed his gaze and there seemed to be a flicker of light there, but it was replaced just as quick with a deep red. His facial hair snaked over his face as if it were alive, sentient. Luscious strands slid up his temple to frame his eyes which glowed an unnatural crimson.

"Talk big for the worm that will be squished," he spat. "Weak sayings. Useless beliefs. Power is the only victor in this, the Ring of Fright!" Berinhard pumped his fists together in quick leaps that shook the earth.

"He - he has clearly been enthralled by the darkness! We must free him, I say, but without first weakening him... there will be no way for me to exorcize whatever evil has seized him," the Hypnotist shook his head. "Please, you must hold him off while I prepare the spell so he may be recovered!"

Vontell glanced back at him with a smile, "You need not even ask! I shall be your stalwart shield."

"Will help too!" Vreg took a stand alongside Von, but his legs were clearly shaking. Eugene, on the other hand, leapt from his hair and squared up by boxing in place.

"There's a good man," Vyc gave the rat king a slap to the back before cracking his knuckles. "This kinda thing's more my speed. Let's go!"

Hero joined their ranks with a chuckle, "Looks like I'm not alone this time! Good to know there's heroes in Voltra too."

The Strongman laughed an ugly sound that bellowed out of him, "Come then, worms! Will be smashing you all to bits and pay tribute to Him with your dust!" The crows circling overhead cawed as he reared back a fist and attacked!

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:30:20 )
Summary
The good news is, Vanora's safe!
The bad news is, Berinhard the Strongman has emerged a little different from when you saw him last...
He attacks the group without much explanation all the while hinting at a presence known only as Him.
Hero has also returned after seemingly not being able to leave the fairgrounds.

Because of your choices in Act 6, fewer allies will be in fighting form to weaken Berinhard.

Instructions
Each NPC has been allotted a damage die and given skills
Discuss with each other what skill you want each NPC to use
You have 20 minutes to discuss and roll damage
Please only roll for each NPC once per round!
You will have 5 minutes to vote after discussion concludes
Some skills do damage while others guard, break defense, and heal
Strategize and help the NPCs defeat Berinhard

21/30 HP
Damage die for Vreg is D8

Rattack - Eugene calls up the rat gang to lead a swarming stampede.
Trash Smash - Vreg pulls a trash bag out of nowhere and uses it to bash the opponent silly.
Electric Boogie - Busting out some wicked dad moves, Vreg draws forth bolts of lightning to hammer the opponent.
Feels Good Man - Vreg whips out a bandaid to heal one ally or himself for 15 HP with a dopey grin and a thumbs up.

70/70 HP
Damage die for Von is D12

Manifest Potential - With a snap of his fingers, Von summons a powerful elemental onslaught from within.
Magic Weapon - Von draws a random weapon from the ether to strike his foe.
Soothsayer - Von emits a wave of healing energy that restores all his allies for 20 HP but not himself.
Tainted Touch - A risky move that will do heavy damage if successful, but Von hasn't perfected it...

50/50 HP
Damage die for Hero is D20

Lightning Lash - Hero strikes with the force of a thunderstorm.
Omnithwack - Consecutive hits with their stick that would leave any foe dazed.
Fireball - A self-explanatory spell for even the most seasoned hero.
Hear the Champ - Hero offers encouraging praise to their allies that reduces damage they take for that round.

80/80 HP
Damage die for Vyc is D10

Fist of the Frozen North - Vyc rears back a hand, pours massive amounts of energy into it, and strikes with the force of a glacier.
Be a Man - Vyc takes a hit for an ally chosen by you and only suffers half the damage.
Guard Breaker - Vyc winds up a destructive roundhouse kick that is sure to blast through defensive maneuvers.
Loosen Up - Vyc takes a moment to crack his joints and prepare, boosting the might of his next strike!

Prize
Participation in this event will unlock additional poses in the Strongman EI and grant all participants a free one.
Additional copies will be available in Joyful Jamboree for purchase with Tickets.

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:31:01 )
Berinhard fell to his elbows with a resounding thud, clearly defeated but not unconscious. "Ah, it is ready!" Smolkie leapt forward as his watch gave off a glorious pulse of energy. Pressing it against the monstrous Strongman, everyone watched in surprise as a column of light burst from around his body. It seemed to be holding him down with paralyzing force.

"Here's my thought," Vyc reasoned as he walked towards the Strongman and rubbed his hands together. "There's no way that moustache is just a stache, so time to rip it off! That'll get you back to normal for sure," he brushed past Smolkie and grabbed the moustache with both hands. Grunting, he started to pull and yank, but the hair wouldn't budge.

"Is just... Berinhard's moostache, little man..." The Strongman groaned in discomfort until the tattoo artist gave up and rubbed the back of his neck in confusion.

Smolkie spoke up then, "The moustache is just facial hair, I say! Not a source of darkness, oh no. Such things lie deep within the heart and must be cleansed." He gestured to Vanora, "Exorcised like what I did with your friend there, you see?" He frowned and added, "She shall wake, surely, as I was able to complete the exorcism before the attack. She just needs rest, mhm."

The Strongman struggled to push himself upright but couldn't, and simply growled. "Have lost, but... cannot be letting you go. Even if Berinhard does the fall, will not be sacrificing family!"

"We have no intention of there being a sacrifice at all," Vontell smiled gently with a glance of concern down at his hand. "Might you be able to explain what is going on here? What is this tribute you spoke of?"

The Strongman collapsed back to the ground with a heavy sigh, "Hoo... is very complicated story, that..."

"Then allow me to ease your worries, hm?" Smolkie pressed his pocket watch into Berinhard's forehead and chanted the words: "Debilis tenebrae animus!" Black smoke began to pour from the Strongman's pores as the Hypnotist pulled the watch away with much resistance. "Darkness holds sway over your tongue, my boy, but it is high time we severed that connection. . ."

"What would you know about it, woman?" The man's voice was loud and rough.

Young Berinhard huddled up in his closet to escape the noise. Every day his father would scream at a new female companion or whatever he was calling them, and that night was no different. Sometimes they stuck around for a few days, but often they would be gone by morning light.

His father was big and strong. A towering man who used his power to strike fear into the hearts of all those unfortunate enough to receive his wrath. His tender son was surely one of them. He would raise his voice, and his hand, to get what he wanted from Berin and anybody else. No one was exempt from his rule.

Not even the police officer who had the pleasure of hauling him in. Berinhard was entered into the system, then, finally free of shattering abuse and terrifying domestic disputes. At the Sunflower Orphanage, his life was changed.

At a young age, Berinhard was very much a coward. He was weak and meek. Scared of his father and living in a terrifying shadow. But at his new home, he met Arika and the others of Cirque ad Infinitum. He found friends. And his resolve to be brave, to grow strong, was all for them. He shed his childish skin in the orphanage and swore to protect his new family as the Strongman. Their Strongman.

He would be everything his father wasn't.

Meanwhile, the group thanks Hero. Hero brings their fingers to their forehead in a farewell salute, "Don't mention it. That's what heroes are for." With a flutter of their cape they turn, walking away with a cool dignity towards the distant sunset. However, they only got a few steps away before smacking hard into the barrier at the fairgrounds exit, falling into the dirt below from the impact. In an embarrassed panic, Hero scurried back to their feet, dashing off to find a place to hide while hoping nobody noticed.

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:38:50 )
[Waiting for players. Game will begin in 10 minutes.]

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:52:16 )
What the flip. Your mustache has fists!

Here's my idea for the start.
Vreg - Electric Boogie
Von - Manifest Potential
Hero - Lightning Slash (Cuz it combos with the electric boogie maybe)
Vyc - Loosen up

Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:56:19 )

Aww man @Berinhard! Is that really you? Are you possessed?!

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:58:04 )
@Angelus: He's possessed in a sense, the darkness that flooded in the area infected him. We need to try to get Berinhard back to who he really is~

Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/2 23:59:33 )

That's kinda awesome, it's so Kingdom Hearts!
And lol that one of Vreg's attacks is 'Electric Boogie'.

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:02:53 )
I like that vgreg can heal allies ^^

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:06:50 )
Indeed. He'd be good for healing up Vyc after he takes hits for others.
Just imagine Vreg covering Vyc with badnaids as vyc gets punched in the face by Berinhard's giant meaty arms.

Donator — Ze/Zir Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:08:26 )
Jesi Says --->

I think @Rallaa: has a good idea as far as which moves they all should use this round :>

~LittleWhiteDragonlet~
Voltra Art Shop | Gallery

Fae | 27 | They/Them
Please Always Ping!
RLC Commission Prices

Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:08:39 )

Read the whole story segment since we're waiting for the game to begin.
Scratch Kingdom Hearts, I'm getting Wrinkle in TIme vibes. Which is still awesome.

Donator — Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:10:35 )
Ohhh fun~
Alright here are my choices.
Vreg: Electric Boogie
Vontell: Manifest Potential
Hero: Hear the Champ
Vyc: Gaurd Breaker

Art Thread | Garage Sale

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:11:07 )
Roll the damage dice for NPCs now!
Discuss which action they should take.
Damage rolling and discussion will close in 20 minutes.

Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:11:36 )

I'm afraid I'm not entirely clear.
Who are we rolling for?

Rallaa rolled a D8 1 times for; and 5. Totalling: 5
For a grand total of 5!
Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:13:17 )
Vreg, Electric Boogie, go!

SnakeWeaver rolled a D8 1 times for; and 3. Totalling: 3
For a grand total of 3!
Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:14:11 )
One roll per npc, right?
Free Tiny Pride Flags

Rallaa rolled a D12 1 times for; and 12. Totalling: 12
For a grand total of 12!
Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:15:54 )
Vontell, Manifest that Potential!

Lucifer Morningstar rolled a D10 1 times for; and 2. Totalling: 2
For a grand total of 2!
Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:15:57 )

So we're rolling for all of them?
I'll roll for Vyctor because he's cool.

Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not here. I'm a lurker.

Deals With the Devil

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 00:16:58 )
@Angelus: What should we have Vyc do?
I think he should Loosen up for the next round attack.
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.