Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Cirque ad Infinitum Act 6: The Reaping Ritual

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:25:46 )

All eyes were on the Ringmaster, Lin, as he stepped forward into the light cast down on the vast stage.

"And now dear guests, fellow adventurers of this life so rooted in time unforgiving..." he began slow and cryptic, gaze swooping from audience member to audience member. "This is the moment you've all been waiting for! I advise you not to blink." He took an extravagant bow and vanished as the spotlights that were converged on him split into separate lights that focused on two empty spots atop the grand stage.

Suddenly, a gust of wind blew over the heads of spectators and intensified rapidly to form what seemed like a whirlwind over the stage. The audience let out a collective gasp as children jumped and yowled in excitement. Hair and clothing whipped about as the unnatural force rested where the light settled. A female remained, beautiful staff in hand with colorful garb adorning her.

Simultaneously, the shadow cast by a support beam of the stage bubbled as if a black puddle. It then moved, to everyone's surprise, to the remaining light source, and the bubbling blackness swirled upwards to create a figure most terrifying. It was covered in a cloak that billowed over the floor, and held a massive scythe loosely in both hands. It seemed to be quite tall and lanky, but hunched over and careless in its presentation.

The female released her hold on the staff and it floated by her side. "Do not be alarmed, city-dwellers. My name is Treat, progenitor of the Reaping Ritual." She bowed her head slightly, "I am very pleased to see you all, and extend my heartfelt thanks for the help you offered my dear companion in his time of need last year."

The figure let its scythe scrape the floor, chains rattling as it chuckled deeply. "Mm, Voltra was deliciously helpful. Trick would've been in a bind if you weren't there for him, yes? Trick wishes to say..." Its voice was a chilly rasp and sent shivers down even the most endurant spine. "He appreciates you, yes. Each and every one of you, heh... heheh!" It turned to face a portion of the audience and they saw a mouth open from nothing on its blank face and express a wicked grin.

"My gift for you, Trick," said the witch with a smile, offering a tiny box wrapped in decorative paper and topped with a magnificent bow.

"Trick will never tire of this ceremony for the strange but... decidedly good feelings it does invoke in him," whispered the reaper with his unnatural grin. He reached for the present with long inhuman fingers in an almost surgical way, afraid his touch might destroy such a seemingly fragile item.

Suddenly, the spotlights over the outdoor stage blinked out. They were replaced by a crimson glow emanating from the raised platform people were gathered around. The audience made sounds of soft wonder, but Trick reared back in surprise.

From beneath the witch, strands of deepest black spun up from the stage and coiled around her like a web of vipers. "Trick! Trick, help me-" She was cut off as the tentacles clasped over her mouth.

"T-Treat!" The reaper went to grab her outstretched hand, but she was yanked downwards into the swirling abyss beneath the blood red light. "No... no! You cannot have her! She is all that Trick has!" He brought his scythe to bear with a reverberating echo of chains, eyes alight with sickly green flame.

A deep, deep sourceless laughter could be heard then by all in attendance, and a chilling voice seemed to threaten the immortal beings: "Don't worry, little reaper. The table wouldn't be set without both of you."

Trick released a bloodcurdling cry cut short by his forced descent into the unknown. There was stunned silence in the audience until a young man began to hoot and holler, "Those effects were freakin' awesome!"

Before anyone could reply, a black fog that had been steadily seeping over the stage and slowly creeping along the grassy fields blasted outwards in one powerful gust of unnatural wind. There were no screams despite the terrifying affair, but surely that was impossible?

When the fog started to clear, the shopkeepers met up and cast a wary gaze around the bleak fairgrounds. There were no humans in sight save for them, but above in the darkened skies? A thick flock of cawing crows flew in circles. Some perched here and there, but most were content to fly.

Vanora was the first to speak up, "So on a hunch, I'm going to guess all this isn't part of the show."

Vivienne shook her head vigorously, "Oh no, oh no, oh no! This doesn't look good at all! Where'd all the people go? What in the world's happening?"

"This must certainly be the dreaded arc wherein evil besets the heroes," Vontell adjusted his glasses with a nod. "We have to be strong, friends, else the darkness claims us as well!"

"I'm afraid it's a little late for that, my boy," said a voice unfamiliar to all but Van and Vivi. A well-dressed older man approached the group with a frown.

Vivi's eyes lit up in recognition, "Oh, it's you! Smolkie, the hypnotherapist!"

"Indeed it is! It's a shame we've met again under such tumultuous circumstances, Miss Harper. Before we catch up, however, I do say there's a matter of great import to address."

"Oh?" Velvet gestured to their surroundings, "And what could be more important than all this?"

"Welll... how do I say this," Smolkie rubbed the bridge of his nose with a sigh. "I suppose I'll just come out with it, hm? One of you has been tainted. Tainted by the darkness, I say! I can sense it and ohh... it's just terrible. Before we do anything else, I do suggest we, ah, find the one who has been touched by evil and, erm, incapacitate them before it spreads!"

"Whoa now," Vyc crossed his arms. "You mean to say one of us is not right in the head or somethin'? You just show up with that claim, man. What if this person is you?"

"It - it could be, I suppose, but I must assure you that it's not! I have naught but my word, you see. I urge you to trust me because I have the knowledge and power to exorcise that which has wormed its way into one of your hearts, but we must act now before it grows stronger!"

Npc — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:26:56 )
RECAP OF EVENTS
All the NPCs have been helping the carnival troupe the last few days with their acts.
They get a day off on the Reaping Ritual to witness the main event, the gift exchange between Trick and Treat. However, during the exchange something horribly wrong happened, Trick and Treat are missing, and the the carnivals grounds look... Different.
All the exits are sealed shut and everyone is in a panic.

All the NPCs have gathered together to discuss. A strange man claiming to be an exorcist wants to help them. However, he senses a darkness present in the group… One of the NPC are possessed! But who?

MECHANICS
The possessed NPC must be found before they spread the darkness or cause harm.
Each round will last for 35 minutes.
The NPC will make their cases as to why they’re not the possessed at the start of the round.
The players will have 30 minutes to discuss who they believe it is.
The vote will be called for, users have 5 minutes to place their vote during this time.
To vote, send @Smolkie: I accuse [INSERT NAME HERE]
If the users select the correct NPC, the game ends and the users win. If the users select wrong, the game will start the next round.
Warning: There will be consequences for your actions should you vote wrong.

PRIZE
All participants will receive a Carnival Food EI, also available in Joyful Jamboree after the activity is over.

Npc Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:29:07 )
ROUND THREE RESULTS...

"Oh 'm so sorry my dear, so sorry!" Smolkie has remorsefully as he produced his watch, "But it's what we must do..."

Vivienne looked over to Vanora fearfully, who gave her a reassuring smile in return. Vivienne looked back to Smolkie, swallowing as she stammered, "I-I guess... Okay... I'm ready..."

After performing his hypnosis, a troubled expression reached Smolkie's face, "Regretfully... She was not the one."

You have chosen incorrectly! Vivienne will be unavailable to help you in up-coming activities. Three allies down.

THE REMAINING ACCUSED...

VANORA
"Oh Vivienne... My dear Vivienne... You didn't deserve this..."

VONTELL
Vontell seemed to be upset by this event.
"I don't see how she did anything to draw that much suspicion onto her.
Vivienne is the most gentle girl I know! We have to end this madness!"

VYCTOR
Vyctor gave Vivienne a pat on the head.
"Hope you're having sweeter dreams than this nightmare..."

VREGORY
Vreg sniffled slightly to himself, no longer participating as he searched a garbage can for comfort food.
Eugene gave the group an evil eye.

WHO DO YOU THINK IS SUSPICIOUS? YOU HAVE 30 MINUTES TO DISCUSS WITH EACH OTHER.

You may also ask the NPC questions, but they will not be answered until the next round, should there be one.

THE ACCUSED

VANORA
"Egh, I thought I'd be able to feel something, but no go! I'd hate to think it's me or Vivi, but... it could be.
We don't have any idea what we're dealing with here."

VIVIENNE
"This is awful! One of us, possessed? I can't believe it. All I know for sure is that it's not Van or I!
We've been together this whole time."

VONTELL
"Hmm, I can just barely feel the darkness in our midst.
This Smolkie fellow must be very powerful indeed to sense what ever forces are at work with such accuracy!"

VALENTINA
"Those effects were something else. I'll have to look into how they were done, maybe shake down some info from the Ringmaster.
Oh, did you want something?"

VYCTOR
"Man, talk about a rude awakening. I was tired after dealin' with that little brat and knocked out under a tree.
Somebody's not themselves or something?"

VELVET
"Well, don't look at me! I mean... ahem, I'm not under the influence. Happy?"

VREGORY
All eyes turn to Vreg with his mouth full. He's standing questionably close to a trash can.
"Is good food! Friends want some?"

ROUND ONE RESULTS...

Smolkie approaches Velvet, slipping a pocket watch from his coat, "I promise this won't hurt at all... But you may be out of commission for a while, avoid any strenuous activities and the such!"

"W-What are you talking about? Stay away from me or I'll have my daddy-" Before she could continue she slipped into unconsciousness as Smolkie swung the watch before her, performing his hypnotic ritual.

After a pause, Smolkie shook his head, "Oh no no this is all wrong... This poor girl wasn't the culprit at all, I say! We'll have to try again!"

You have chosen incorrectly! Velvet will be unavailable to help you in up-coming activities. One ally down.

THE REMAINING ACCUSED...

VANORA
"That really is a powerful trick... But it'd be bad to use it too many times. Everyone, please think more carefully.
Vivi and I know each other better than anyone, and she looks and feels the same to me!"

VIVIENNE
Vivienne looks at Vanora with worry and squeezes her hand.
"Horrible... but I know Velvet'll be okay! I hope whatever's here will just leave us alone..."

VONTELL
"There must be a more logical way we can approach this...
I've heard a request for a question. You may ask me anything, and I'll answer.
As for my run-in with darkness before, I merely lost some eyesight, I was never possessed."

VALENTINA
"Oh! What a fascinating device! You'll let me tinker with it when we're done here right?
Speaking of, are we going to wrap this up soon? It's taking so long, some of us are taking a nap!"

She gestures to Velvet. She doesn't seem to have been paying attention.

VYCTOR
Scooping Velvet up, Vyctor moves to lean her comfortably against a tent as she rests.
"Did you really need to do that? Damn... She's not going to wake up happy."

VREGORY
Vreg looks concerned as he scoots away from Smolkie, Eugene squeaking at the man.
"I-Is fancy lady okay? Is scary..."

You may also ask the NPC questions, but they will not be answered until the next round, should there be one.

ROUND TWO RESULTS...

"Hm... Seems I've gotten myself into a serious situation then. This wouldn't be the first time, you know. I guess I should have spent the time listening! ... It's a clock you see." Vyctor could be heard groaning in disgust in the distance.

"Well then, doc! I guess there's no way out this. What's this process going to involve? What internal mechanics are at-" Her questioning was lulled into silence as the watch took its effect

"Oh.. Oh no this won't do at all! We must be careful my friends, she was innocent as well! A little eccentric perhaps, but not possessed, not one bit!"

You have chosen incorrectly! Valentina will be unavailable to help you in up-coming activities. Two allies down.

THE REMAINING ACCUSED...

VANORA
"Oh this isn't good at all... Val can be an airhead but she wouldn't harm a fly! ... Well she might, but not one of us!
Maybe this was all a misunderstanding?"

VIVIENNE
"Not another! Val's hardy at least b-but this isn't nice at all! I don't want to lose anyone else! They're just sleeping... right?"

VONTELL
Vontell nods as he's asked about his past.
"What I encountered were entities known as the "Agents of Entropy", the culprits behind Voltra's infamous blackout a few months ago.
What I can tell you is that this isn't their modus operandi. The carnival is littered with bright lights, and they cannot stand to be in them.
They could also shift form and mimic. No... Whatever this was, it seems to be a very different power."

VYCTOR
"Just had to go out on a pun huh...?" Vyctor shook his head, sighing as he helped move Val as well.
"Never change, you kook." He turns, looking seriously at you guys, "Let's get it right this time, huh?"

VREGORY
When asked who he thinks is suspicious... EUGENE FURIOUSLY SQUEAKS AT YOU.
"Y-Yeah....he says the hyp...hypne... I just want to go home is scary here..."

Npc Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:30:25 )
At your insistence, Smolkie turns his gaze on Vanora Aria, beloved mascot of Voltra. She returned his look with a curious tilt of her head. Cupping his chin, he gave a hard nod and began walking towards her, but neither the movement nor conviction goes unnoticed by a recovering Vivienne. She staggers to her feet and cries out.

"Hold on... please!" She moved between them as if to intercept him. "It... it wasn't me, and - and it's not Van!" She shook her head with a wary smile at the hypnotherapist, "It's impossible since... since we've been with each other the entire day, and if I'm not possessed... surely she couldn't be either? Please, Smolkie, you have to listen to me!"

He gave a sigh, "I'm afraid that's not always the case, Miss Harper. Oh, it rarely is when you're dealing with forces of darkness! Of that you can be sure. They're quite good at fooling the heart, you see, but you needn't worry! With a right little hypnotism and a quick snap of my ole fingers, we can be certain."

Vivi hung her head for a moment with a hand held over her chest, breathing labored after her ordeal. "I'm sorry doctor, but..." Looking him in the eye, then, or at least the deceptively comical spectacles that would hide his intentions, she pointed an accusing finger. "What about... you?!"

"M-me?" He took a step back.

"Yes! There's definitely something evil going on, but you're the only one who can feel it clearly. If you were the one possessed, what would happen?"

She felt a hand on her shoulder and blinked, glancing back at Vanora. "That's enough, Vivi," she whispered. "After all, you've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer, have you?"

"Van, what are you-?" Vivi's eyes went wide as a knee flew up against her stomach. Letting out a moan of pain, she fell to the ground unconscious, and Smolkie was left staring into the twisted face of a grinning Vanora.

"Was wondering when you'd figure it out, old man, though I suppose you couldn't do much without them," she gestures toward you and lets out a sigh. "I expected better, honestly, but oh well! That's what you get when you bet all your chips on a feeble fool and his rusty sidekicks, hm? Heh heheh!"

"Return the young one this instant, you fiend, and all the others you've taken!" Smolkie brought his watch to bear in a pose he thought intimidating, but it merely served to bemuse Vanora.

She arched a brow, "Forgive me if I'm not quaking in my boots just yet. Besides, you look more like you'd break a hip before anything else." She shrugged, "Welp, it's been fun but I gotta run. Souls to torture and all that. You understand, hm?" Blowing him a kiss, she spun on her heel and leapt into the mist as the crows sang overhead.

"Wait! You're not getting away, I say!" Smolkie glanced down at Vivi and then looked to the others, "I leave her in your care! Don't worry, now. I'll do whatever I can to get your friend back."

Moments later and the Hypnotist pursued Vanora into a large caravan with 'Property of Cirque ad Infinitum staff, greatest family eternal' printed on the side.

[to be continued in Act 7...]

Donator — Ze/Zir Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:42:28 )
Jesi Says --->

:Y oh no! another trial, eh? What are those consequences for wrong answers...will more people be kidnapped? :O

~LittleWhiteDragonlet~
Voltra Art Shop | Gallery

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:44:50 )
The most difficult part of this, for me at least, is that I do not know the NPCs so I do not know who is acting off and who is acting normally.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:45:06 )
I don’t know how to decide who to accuse. D:
Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Donator — Ze/Zir Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:46:22 )
Jesi Says --->

Well, Vregory and Valentina at least seem normal to me...but I also don't know the NPCs very well rip

~LittleWhiteDragonlet~

Donator — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:46:43 )
Yeah, I don't wanna accuse any of them..

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:48:13 )
Oh wow, what a pickle we have here.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:49:09 )
I aint to sure on VELVET or VYCTOR?
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Donator — Ze/Zir Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:50:16 )
Jesi Says --->

I think Vyctor would be too obvious, given his whole *gestures to him* though Velvet...maybe? She might be a bit more curt than usual in that reply :U

~LittleWhiteDragonlet~

Fae | 27 | They/Them
Please Always Ping!
RLC Commission Prices

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:50:41 )
[size=8]I Was Nearly Sure Id Miss Todays Event.
That Being Said, I Sure Wish I Knew The Npc Better Than I Do.
Eughhhhhhhhhhh[/size]

Donator — Sea Snake Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:52:10 )
Can we question the NPCs to get more information?
Free Tiny Pride Flags

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:52:30 )
@Smolkie: I accuse [Velvet]

Star's Memory Jar | Star's Quest |Star's Runway | Shadow Realm Market
Pls Mention as i wander

Avi art is best gift

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:53:42 )
Why is Vreg in the trash though?
That just wierds me out all on its own.
I honestly dont know everyone all that well.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:53:47 )
I think we can eliminate Vreg and Val. Their statements are just too "them" for them to be possessed.

I'm thinking maybe Vontell or Velvet.
I remember reading some little comics from the blackout, wasn't Von associated with some kind of darkness in that?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:54:36 )
    Omg I'm staying neutral :o

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:54:45 )
An accusation already? That was swift.
Item QuestHangoutSales

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/10/31 23:54:51 )
@Bone Wench: That's normal Vreg.
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.