Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 09:45:22 )
We\'ll carry on

I saw late last night that the Freemasons here have a day where a few people can come over for a guide through the building, get a few things explained and drink coffee for an ‘open minded’ discussion (tho I’m not sure how open minded some people will be around them).

That open day is on 11-11 and I’m seriously tempted to go just because I’m curious.

Anyone ever wanted to visit the Freemasons?
Where has your curiosity brought you?

oh look, another 11

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 09:50:19 )
The Freemasons are such a thing.... I both agree and disagree with the whole illumi-naughty conspiracy type hype. My grand-thing had an affair with a guy in the freemasons, and when said guy passed away the masons preformed what looked to my trained eye to be a magical ritual at his funeral. Full ceremonial garb, speaking in (probably) latin, symbols and tools that look decidedly magical in nature. I have never been more uncomfortable in a church, and I'm a former-goth-turned-metal-head, so thats saying a lot.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 10:09:26 )
My father is a Freemason but had never brought us to anything more than the Freemason family and charity events.
Although, I still know a lot about Freemasonry as my dad just leaves their books and garbs all around the house. When I tell Freemasons that my father is one, some of them treat me as their own daughter. My group of friends in high school were all daughters of freemasons - it was by chance and we only found out when a teacher asked in class who had a freemason parent since we were on the topic of freemasonry XD
I'm unaware how different freemasonry is all around the world tho ^^;

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 10:18:03 )
We\'ll carry on

@Glume: when my grandmother passed away, she had her funeral in church and there were 4 priests. They all did their own rituals and had parts in latin.
That was also the last time I've been to church.
@Ixora: I don’t know much about my father and even less about his fathet. I do know they kept a few things secret from my mother and she never found out what it was.
My grandfather had a bunch of things upstairs and my mother was not allowed to come near, let alone touch, them.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 10:22:31 )
My personal research has led me to discover, unsurprisingly, that they have only recently allowed women to participate in their freemasonly fun. Of course, they get their own group that is removed from the rest. Probably it all just amounts to a modern day Fred-Flinstones-elk-lodge, but its still sketch af.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 10:26:28 )
We\'ll carry on

@Glume: there are 2 lodges around here: one for men only and one dor men and women

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 10:28:59 )
@Tuijp: That seems pretty strict.
For my father's lodge, they seem to told there is an amount of knowledge a freemason must tell his family.
My mother doesn't really care XD and we are family friends with most of my father's lodge brothers.

@Glume: There are Masonic bodies catered to females related to a mason - like Job's Daughters, Order of Amaranth, International Order of the Rainbow but these organizations have opened themselves to people who aren't related to a mason as long as they adhere to some Masonic principles (mostly the part where they believe in only one supreme being)

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 10:47:52 )
We\'ll carry on

@Ixora: the masons here only opened up a bit in the last few years. Before that, people could know where they were because of a sign on the door but that was about it.
Still most people don’t know where they are and only guess they’re around. They also guess what they do.
So far, I only met one who showed she was a mason by a necklace. When I said I like the lecklace, she tried to hide it quickly.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 10:54:35 )
@Tuijp: Really? So I guess there are many cultural differences among masons not only by lodge but also by country as well.
The masons are don't hide that they are masons and are very accepting when meeting a new brother or family of a brother.
Houses even have masonic stickers and stuff outside.

I think at the very least they should open up to family - it can cause some problems otherwise and children are bound to ask about it anyway.
I had asked me dad about it before and he said that freemasonry is not a secret organization and that they don't hold secret knowledge like people believe and that the rituals mostly are the things that they cannot share.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 11:00:53 )
We\'ll carry on

@Ixora: fo shizzle.
An old neighbour worked in the city, cleaning yhe streets and before that on the market, basically right next to the masons. He had no idea until I told him.
He said they weren’t there, what made me say they were and told them where they were. A few days later, he came to me to tell me I was right.

Some probably do open up to their family about it, but then their families can’t tell anyone else about it. They are that secretive around here.
Basically why I want to go and see.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 11:11:01 )
@Tuijp: I guess it's more of... they don't hide but they don't broadcast themselves either?
Well at the very least it'll be a fun new adventure XD
And very interesting to tell people that you've been to a lodge.

I'm at the point where I don't really care about it anymore and about my dad's "overgrown fraternity" XD
Just really curious about why some people really want to be a part of them when yes, you do get a ton of connections but at the same time you also need to pay tithe and attend meetings and read books written in symbols with vowels omitted ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 11:19:04 )
We\'ll carry on

@Ixora: you can know where they are when you pay attention to the symbols on the door, but that’s it. It also takes some digging on the internet to find their website.

I wouldn’t want to be a part of it, but not because of the book and learning symbols. I’d probably like that part.
More because you need to go to the same place evwry week and meet the same people every week. Let me do my own thing and we’re fine.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 11:27:39 )
@Tuijp: Yeah and some people are unfamiliar with the symbols as well.

You don't really need to learn the symbols to read. It's pretty easy to make out just takes some effort to actually read it. I found this page online and the books still actually look like this.
Lol. I think you only need to go regularly when you first join. My dad barely goes anymore ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 11:34:33 )
We\'ll carry on

@Ixora: it would be a waste for me to pay a lot and not go.
I also probably don't have the money for it. XD

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 11:42:32 )
@Tuijp: I guess that's true and most join for the connections XD
I don't really know much about their payments can't really complain as long my dad kept me housed and fed XD

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 12:13:21 )
We\'ll carry on

@Ixora: maybe I could join and get one of those rich people to adopt me 🤔

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 12:28:54 )
@Tuijp: I don't see why not XD

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 12:50:06 )
We\'ll carry on

@Ixora: adoption here is until 18. After that, a man can kust become your father if you say he is really your fathet and not the man who is registered as your father.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 13:33:19 )
@Tuijp: Even if the man doesn't agree that he's the father? o.O
But then again, above 18, the father doesn't need to legally provide for the child? :/

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 13:44:10 )
We\'ll carry on

@Ixora: no you need his permission and/or dna test to prove it

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.