Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Voltra Discussion Ask a Writer - Voltra AMA

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/30 00:28:33 )
Hey everyone, I'm here to answer any questions you may have about either the writer position on staff, or Voltra lore in general. A lot of you are talented writers who can offer a ton to the community with your unique perspective and ideas, so please consider applying if your schedule allows for it. C;

Click here for the application if you're interested!

For those of you wondering what exactly a writer does on Voltra, it depends. There's a variety of needs within the writing role that I'll get into now.

Are you an idea person?
Think up characters, ideas for existing NPCs, event concepts, item concepts, and more.

Do you like RPing or just writing dialogue?
Interact as our NPCs! Doesn't have to be during an event, either.

Are you more of a technical writer?
Think up the ins and outs of events. Plot out mechanics and write up rules. Make people suffer with your take on challenging puzzles.

Or maybe you just like putting threads together, code and all?
Formatting can take a lot of time. Especially if you want it to look good and read as easy as possible to the community. I'm not saying we've achieved this, but we do put forth effort to make text, rules and otherwise, appear pleasant and not like an imposing eyesore.

Can I ask a question about other roles?
Certainly. A few people have volunteered to answer questions that pop up relating to their role in staff, so don't be shy. I'll let them know as well. C;

I have a random question, or it's related to the site!
Shoot. I'll try my best to answer and if I don't know it, we'll track down someone who can provide an explanation.

My favorite activity would have to be writing the lore itself for events and other threads that need it. This content is similar to writing in a RP or putting together a story for a novel of your own making, and recent examples include the Item Design Contest hosted by Velvet, and VK's introduction. The starting posts for event threads are a good representation as well. That kind of writing is what I enjoy best because it allows me to provide people an immersive read if they deign it entertaining enough. C;

Conversely, the task I don't handle well is writing mechanics or OOC content. I'm always unsure if it's clear enough and since my background is more creative writing, that's what I prefer.

I would say the interest is equal as I try to weave Voltra's lore into each event and its subsequent activities. For example, the event Blackout shone a spotlight on Vanora and Vivienne's relationship which is reflected in their interactions on the site, and any story threads posted after the event changed their perceptions.

The same event presented a preview of new minor NPCs from the Voltra Police Department. These characters showed up in Vreg's Treeshure Hunt.

Connecting lore like this is very exciting because if we do it correctly, people get interested in the NPCs and become more engaged with events as a whole wondering like "what'll happen to these guys next?" That's the hope, anyway, and what pumps me up to write creative scenes be it events, or Voltra lore/NPC interactions in general. C;

Hmm, the most challenging task was working on the Blackout event as there were countless ways we could reopen the site, but no telling which route would be the most successful. It was a lot of guesswork and figuring out how to turn an obstacle into something productive we could use for the lore. Also, we had planned on introducing some of those elements further along, so it was an experience to make the plot manifest and get that train running sooner rather than later.

The easiest thing? I wouldn't call any particular aspect easy as I take writing for a group of people very seriously. I always try to put my best out there and it can be a little draining, but rewarding when people enjoy reading/participating in the events. However, I do enjoy writing for Static as he's precious and seems to be well-received.

The short answer is, a very long time. The event process typically begins at the writers who think up the elevator pitch and early concepts. This usually involves coming up with the theme, working versions of possible threads, and ideas for EI sets among many other elements. like dealing with ghost

If this draft is approved, it moves into the official stage where a more detailed proposal is prepared for overview. This includes breaking down assets needed by role, and allows for people to sign up for activities such as running threads, creating graphics, and working on features (in the case of devs).

Once the project is in this stage, communication between everyone is key. This can be hectic since the event is still technically evolving at this point, and people are developing early concepts with their own flavor to actualize the final product.

This scale is for something like Wonderland, mind you, while the Summer event we just had is more of a mini version where the same things still apply, but are usually pitched by others in an attempt to see what people might like.

Oh, and creating lore for the event depends on how in-depth we want the story. I'm usually meticulous when it comes to flow and will want an actual novel-like experience, so characters will have backstory, motivation, and conflict.

Thread closed on August 3rd

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/30 19:21:05 )

@Deaa: something for you? o: <3

Questing: click here!

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/1 01:57:37 )
What is your favourite 'task/job' to do as writer, and why? :)

It's a Hazer! Love your dev work. ;o

My favorite activity would have to be writing the lore itself for events and other threads that need it. This content is similar to writing in a RP or putting together a story for a novel of your own making, and recent examples include the Item Design Contest hosted by Velvet, and VK's introduction. The starting posts for event threads are a good representation as well. That kind of writing is what I enjoy best because it allows me to provide people an immersive read if they deign it entertaining enough. C;

Conversely, the task I don't handle well is writing mechanics or OOC content. I'm always unsure if it's clear enough and since my background is more creative writing, that's what I prefer.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/1 03:59:11 )
Does this interest only flare most on events or is it in general any lore to do with Voltra's world and NPC's?

I would say the interest is equal as I try to weave Voltra's lore into each event and its subsequent activities. For example, the event Blackout shone a spotlight on Vanora and Vivienne's relationship which is reflected in their interactions on the site, and any story threads posted after the event changed their perceptions.

The same event presented a preview of new minor NPCs from the Voltra Police Department. These characters showed up in Vreg's Treeshure Hunt.

Connecting lore like this is very exciting because if we do it correctly, people get interested in the NPCs and become more engaged with events as a whole wondering like "what'll happen to these guys next?" That's the hope, anyway, and what pumps me up to write creative scenes be it events, or Voltra lore/NPC interactions in general. C;

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/2 11:02:38 )
We'll carry on

@Dowan: what was the hardest thing you had to do for Voltra? And what was the easiest?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/2 22:07:56 )
Interesting questions. ;o

What was the hardest thing you had to do for Voltra? And what was the easiest?

Hmm, the most challenging task was working on the Blackout event as there were countless ways we could reopen the site, but no telling which route would be the most successful. It was a lot of guesswork and figuring out how to turn an obstacle into something productive we could use for the lore. Also, we had planned on introducing some of those elements further along, so it was an experience to make the plot manifest and get that train running sooner rather than later.

The easiest thing? I wouldn't call any particular aspect easy as I take writing for a group of people very seriously. I always try to put my best out there and it can be a little draining, but rewarding when people enjoy reading/participating in the events. However, I do enjoy writing for Static as he's precious and seems to be well-received.

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/2 23:55:20 )
Thank you for your work. 🙏How long does it take to plan and write a whole event (on average)? What steps do you go through?

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/3 02:59:21 )
Hey Okios! Good to see ya pop your head in here. C;

How long does it take to plan and write a whole event (on average)? What steps do you go through?

The short answer is, a very long time. The event process typically begins at the writers who think up the elevator pitch and early concepts. This usually involves coming up with the theme, working versions of possible threads, and ideas for EI sets among many other elements.
like dealing with ghost

If this draft is approved, it moves into the official stage where a more detailed proposal is prepared for overview. This includes breaking down assets needed by role, and allows for people to sign up for activities such as running threads, creating graphics, and working on features (in the case of devs).

Once the project is in this stage, communication between everyone is key. This can be hectic since the event is still technically evolving at this point, and people are developing early concepts with their own flavor to actualize the final product.

This scale is for something like Wonderland, mind you, while the Summer event we just had is more of a mini version where the same things still apply, but are usually pitched by others in an attempt to see what people might like.

Oh, and creating lore for the event depends on how in-depth we want the story. I'm usually meticulous when it comes to flow and will want an actual novel-like experience, so characters will have backstory, motivation, and conflict.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/4 04:48:25 )
This will be closed now, and the questions/answers updated on the first post! But feel free to message me any questions you may have and I'd be happy to answer. C;

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.