Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Signing your own Art?

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 16:52:19 )
I had no idea where to put this thread since I'm just asking a question so I'll put it here since it doesn't belong in Mini Shops or Artist Galleries XD

So, signing art, uhhh.... I've never really signed my art before but I was wondering if I should...and what to sign it with XD

I've never really thought my art was good enough to sign before, but idk. I can still see things that irk me about my art, and I'm worried that maybe signing it detracts a little from the art itself, even if it's a small sign? What if some people just see it as obnoxious? OTL
I don't know and I'm kind of confused on what I want to do.

What's the best course of action? Sign my art or not?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 17:59:45 )
@Dipper: I always forget to sign my artwork. I'm terrible at it. I even came up with a cute little symbol to replace my name when I was a teenager and I use it never. I've always liked the idea of signing the back of my work when I was worried about obstructing the image.
Also, get out of that "good enough" mindset (I know its hard, artists are their own worst critics.) because A:your art is good enough and B: anything you create is a glimpse of who you are, so its always going to be good, and there is always room for improvement.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — Tenno Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/21 21:01:55 )

I honestly don't sign my work, mostly since no one really looks at my art on any site. xD

I know when I was in middle school, I signed my work a lot. I even had a good sig that I came up with. I'd get one of my pins that didn't sit well on my skin. I'd draw then color in a paw print on it, then sign it like that. It was a great way of doing it for a while there, but it was quite messy.

I did try to make a sig for my digital work, but I'd always forget about putting it on. Dx So in the end, I just gave up on signing my work. xD
Please ping me to get my attention

Pixel art by me
Click here for my twitter and other things.

Donator — pancake Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/21 22:46:16 )
I don't sign my art anymore because I always forget. But I can't tell you how many times I've found it useful that others sign their art. It makes it easy to find the artist if you just see one piece and you want to see what else they've done. So my vote is that everyone should always sign their art.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/21 22:51:39 )

I sign my work.
Mostly because if I'm posting somewhere like in a discord chat, or on a forum (here for instance), if someone sees it, likes it, and wants to see more... it tells ya what my site is.

Plus, it makes it more difficult for others to steal, but I don't think my stuff is good enough for that either. Lol.

Mostly, it's just the URL for my website so people can look through if they want.

I personally don't get why artists do NOT sign their stuff. That just... makes no sense to me.

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Voltie — Nayu Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/23 13:08:38 )
I usually sign with my username.. but pretty small.. and only when I remember to haha. P:
Ping me for attention. I tend to wander.

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/23 13:27:20 )

I sign my work with just a short variation of my name, even if I'm not drawing something for a site.
I put it in a space that isn't quiet touching the art, but pretty close. If people don't like it being there, well that's too bad. :P

Voltie — Damned Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/24 02:18:49 )

@Dipper: As I mentioned in the Wonderland event threads, I am terrible at drawing but I still date every drawing I do and even one abandoned attempt. No signing, just dating.

Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not here. I'm a lurker.

Deals With the Devil

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/26 18:34:59 )
Thank you for all the insight from everybody, it was extremely helpful ^w^
"I'm the loser of the game you didn't know you were playing."

Ping me for a response.

"Someday, somewhere, somehow..."

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/26 20:52:05 )
I'm trying to get into the habit of signing more stuff. I made up a little signature layout that works and isn't super intrusive I think, but I also really need to work on signature placement too I think :vanora_sweat:
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.