Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Wonderland Dipper's Guide to Codes & Ciphers (no event codes)

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:20:39 )
Note that the Event Codes will not be discussed here.

I just want to make a hangout to talk about codes and ciphers in general because I love them. Every now and then I might do a ramble post about a different kind of code or cipher.

I don't know how many might come in, though....I won't do a ramble if it'll break the triple posting rule.

I'll reserve a couple of posts so I can keep track of what I want to ramble about and what I already have rambled about.

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:21:18 )
Intro

Codes and ciphers have been around for millenia. Currently, there are certain codes that are well-known in today's world, such as Hieroglyphs, Braille, and Morse Code.

Codes use symbols or characters to represent letters, words, or phrases. They usually require a code book (rather like a dictionary) to encrypt and decrypt when using symbols to replace whole words and phrases.
To be added.

Ciphers are made with a common alphabet (such as the English alphabet), with the letters being moved around or changed to conceal the message. Because the letters are merely being shifted and substituted, no code book is required. Instead, knowledge on how the letters have been moved is required.
Will put in here soon.

Rambles:

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:21:29 )
To ramble about:

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:21:34 )
Useful Links:

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:22:03 )
Open for posting.
I'll keep editing my intro in the meantime.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:49:11 )
I've always been fascinated by alternate alphabets, and the natural progression to decoding said alphabets. I was really into it in highschool because I had a lot more time on my hands, but I've been drawn towards alternate alphabets again because writing in code is just cool, darn it. I found a website: http://www.omniglot.com/ and its a great resource for writing your own codes, as it has a lot of alternate alphabets to look at. Some of my favorites, possibly harder to decode, can be written in any direction and often are on a line (Like... cursive code?).

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:53:32 )
@Glume: Ooh yeah, I only really got into them during high school hehe. I finally bought myself a little pocket book of codes and ciphers then. Speaking of which, I took out a library book on codes and ciphers more than 500 pages thick...I think I need to renew, hehe oops ^^;;;

Ahhh, that's pretty sweet >w<

Haha thanks for posting. I thought I'd changed the title but yes, my eyes are screaming for posts hehe >w<

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:56:03 )
@Dipper: That is a hefty book! Does it include history as well as practical application?

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 11:59:18 )
@Glume: Isn't history important in every code or cipher endeavour? >w>
Yep. I think history is important to understand how they came about as well *almost launches into a ramble about Braille but doesn't*
Actually, my little pocket book of codes has a little bit of history here and there, it's almost 200 pages but about the size of my hand hehe. I assume that it would only have about 50 pages if it was the size of a normal book XD

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:07:23 )
@Dipper: I especially love the native american code talkers (possibly because I'm native myself) because they literally just spoke an unfamiliar language and it was brilliantly baffling.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — Nayu Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:18:49 )
@Dipper: Horray a thread! /settles in/

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:22:37 )

Oh, I really like this topic. You know, this wouldn't be bad for a hangout after o.o
*huggles*

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:23:48 )
@Artemis: yay, welcome!

@Miss Kitty: Hehe, maybe I'll ask for it to be moved once the event is over XD

Voltie — Nayu Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:25:16 )
I always find my friend’s threads cozy xP

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:25:39 )

@Dipper: So this is how to get you out of lurker mode xD May have to keep that in mind.
I'd say teach me on oh wise on codes but you know I'm gonna go back to sleep in like 5 minutes lol.

Voltie — He/Him/His Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:29:09 )
I always admire people who are skilled in deciphering codes. Unfortunately, for me it is not my thing. It gives me headache lol
There is something haunting in the light of the moon;
It has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery.

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:31:35 )
@Artemis: hehe *stokes the fireplace for it to be warmer and cozier*

@Miss Kitty: Hehe, ultra-lurker mode de-activated XD
Sleep well >w<

@Fielkun: Some things aren't for everybody, I suppose, but I still feel like a newbie in these things XD
There are so many people I admire for things I can't do...like website coding XD
Speaking different languages, etc. XD

Donator — Puzzling Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:33:18 )

@Dipper: Will do ^^ *hugs* (Make a code for me to do when I get back?)

|

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:34:45 )
@Miss Kitty: Tell me when you'll be back because I'll probably only get around to it when I get home unless it's a simple one XD
Just a code or would you want a cipher? >w>
"I'm the loser of the game you didn't know you were playing."

Ping me for a response.

"Someday, somewhere, somehow..."

Voltie — Nayu Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/2 12:37:00 )
@Dipper: oooooh cozy /sits by fire/
Ping me for attention. I tend to wander.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.