Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature It's Poetry Month!

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 21:38:33 )
Locked due to 6+months of inactivity in the thread. If you would like this thread unlocked, please PM a mod.

For those who don't know, April is (at least in the US and Canada, I believe) National Poetry Month.
So... Talk poetry with me! What kind do you like? Do you even like it?

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:29:13 )
I love all kinds but mostly ones that tell a story as well. I had these kids books when I was little called arch books and they always rhymed, were quite funny and well written and had cute illustrations. Not to mention Dr. Seuss. His books were weird but had alot of heart. When I grew up I met a boy who wrote me poems all the time and introduced me to Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven. Thus my love affair with poems was rekindled and I go hunting for good ones to this day. I even made a thread here on Voltra to post your favourite poems.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:34:07 )
@Saeyra: I need to find that thread! I write and read a lot of poetry. I get emails daily of poems from the association of american poets, and as an editor sometimes I see them in my queue to peek at. I've always loved Poe and Robert Frost.

That boy from your youth sounds fun. I like 'im. I wrote poems for people a lot myself... like at the hospital when I had a crush on someone xD I used to decorate my walls with poetry on sticky notes, too.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:40:17 )
Oh wow! Since it's poetry month, I should get back into poetry.
I was heavily into poetry a few years ago, when I was in high school. It was a bit angsty, and I went for the dark kind of vibe. Haha I'm wanting to get back into poetry and writing, so this could kickstart that writing flame I need.
I've always liked the darker poetry, like edgar allen poe, which is an obvious favorite for many haha.

What kind of poetry do you like? : O

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:44:01 )
@RoseyWitch: April is a lot of things for literary work. National Poetry Month, Camp NaNoWriMo... busy busy busy! I wrote a ton of articles about poetry for this month for my litmag, so... When they're posted we'll see. I know I did some prompts for it and those might help you?

I like poetry of various forms but like Sae I tend to prefer things with a story. That said, without a story can be good too! I tend to read a lot of free verse lately, but I love form poetry too. And blackout poetry is really interesting!

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:45:54 )
@Juneberry: oh it's here somewhere in the literature section. Feel free to post poems there. I would love to read them and I will try to post some too so you don't double post. Yeah I liked that boy too. He was smart and funny. In fact, I liked him so much I married the poor sucker.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:47:43 )
@Saeyra: What makes him a poor sucker? And does he still write poems for you? Or read with you? o3o

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 22:57:07 )
@Juneberry: oh he reads alot. Like alot. He tells me stories from his books and sometimes he goes on talking the entire night. I feel he has gotten lazy to write his poems down since we got together in real life because he just recites or sings them to me when inspiration strikes. He is a poor sucker because I pull him out of his books and fantasy worlds and into reality alot and very violently too. I force him to go outside, see the sun, feel the sweat and cry all the tears.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 23:11:44 )
@juneberry: Oh wow! I should really keep up with what months are what. But wow! I think it is amazing that you have your own litmag! But I'd definitely love to see them. I'm actually getting into writing my own novel right now which is fun too.

Things with a story can make a huge impact. Or those with a ton of metaphors and hidden meanings are absolutely amazing, metaphors are scrumptious. LOL But to be honest, every kind of poetry is amazing and beautiful in it's own way, and is done differently compared to the last. It's fun to see how different one form can be straight to the point where another one is using a ton of personification and hidden meanings.

20-Lesbian
I'm randomly active bc of anxiety!

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/3 02:45:23 )
@Saeyra: I need you in my life for those things. Take me in plz. xD But yeah, sometimes it's also just hard to remember a poem when it strikes you even when you go to write it down. He should look for them to read you too. It's good you share in general though.

@RoseyWitch: I mean it's not *my* literary magazine. I don't own it by any means. I just edit and submit to it. And love the people like family. Y'know, it's like that xD Oh? Writing a novel in April is perfect 'cause CampNaNo~ also in July and November... But I mean, any month is a good month. You can also use poetry *in* your novel! Or just write some about the process. Sometimes, it's easier to write a poem than a story. And other times, it's the opposite. Write what comes to you, but I vote since it's a poetry thread... I should push you to put poems into your novel as you work on it for the month~ If nothing else, you can try writing a poem from your main character (or some other character's) perspective~ That's actually what mine in mine are for xD

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/3 03:26:28 )
@Juneberry: Haha its hard enough to get one of you outside. I think if I had two of you I would just give up and become a book-loving hermit full-time too. My resolve isn't that strong haha I get easily pulled into fantasy worlds as well. Did you find the poetry thread I made yet?

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/3 03:46:13 )
@Saeyra: No I didn't! But... To be fair, I've been keeping up with so many threads I didn't look very hard yet. I need to go work on that. Just join us in being book loving nuts then. And poem loving. Since you already seem to. <3

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/3 12:22:55 )
@Juneberry: https://www.voltra.us/forum/view_topic/941

Here I will make it easier for you haha. Tada!

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/4 22:13:57 )
@Saeyra: Thank you very much! I look forward to lurking it~

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/4 23:25:42 )
@Juneberry: No lurking! You must post!

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 20:45:04 )
@Saeyra: I have so many favorites though! I guess I could go with my usual top pick, The Road Not Taken. Or I can, like... Take one I get in my email inbox every day if one particularly strikes me. :'D

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 23:09:21 )
@Juneberry: I believe I already posted that one, its my sister's favorite one so I know it well. :vanora_smile:

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 23:13:08 )
@Saeyra: That's why I figured I need to think hard to figure out what to share xD To be honest, I could always just take something out of the Poetic Edda, which is a Norse mythology book... Mythology poems can be great fun. But Nordic ones are a pain to type out even after translations to me xD

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 23:16:24 )
@Juneberry: I usually just google the poems whose name I know and they turn up. Copy paste is my friend :vanora_xd: There are lots of websites with original poems by amateurs as well. Some of them can be really unique and real.

Always ping me please.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/5 23:17:23 )
@Saeyra: That's true! I could totally just share some off my litmag... But... That'd feel wrong without linking to it, which is basically just forceful advertising. xD Maybe I'll stick to my daily poems I get emailed.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.