Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Under 1200 Calories, But Full? (Advice Please?)

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 03:07:20 )
November 2017 - February 2018
Hey guys. So I've just recently started on a diet to lose weight (first week of February) and I've noticed a recurring pattern that is bringing up some concerns for me.

Most days I am quite a bit under 1200 calories, which is the minimum recommended amount according to most sources. I eat three meals a day and one to two snacks, but usually only average about 1000-1140. (Today is the closest I've gotten in awhile at 1170) And this is regardless of how I try to vary things I eat and how much I try to hit that "magic number". I am just literally unable to consume 1200 calories because I'm too full between 1000-1140 to possibly eat anything else.

This happens AT LEAST 4-5 days out of the week, sometimes even every day. And it concerns me since it's not just a rare occurrence or a once-in-awhile thing, it's most of (or all of) the week.I've heard (and been constantly reminded by my weight loss app) that being under 1200 can have a negative impact on my health. But the problem is, I'm not trying to eat this little, I'm just too full to eat anything else by the time the end of the night comes around and I notice I'm under.

And this isn't even taking into consideration calories lost by exercising. If I log my exercise, I tend to be just a little over 1000 or even under 1000 net calories on most occasions. I either measure or weight practically everything I eat and if anything I tend to overestimate or round up my calories if I'm unsure. So my actual intake would likely be less than what is recorded. And because I carefully weight and measure things, I don't think it's an error in recording calories.

I even tried to add calories to my diet today to get closer to 1200 by eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich to indulge a little, but I still couldn't make it to 1200 calories overall. And often times a serving size of something is too much for me so I have to undercut it.

I'm eating a lot of vegetables, fruits, cereal and hummus. And I've been staying away from snacks like potato chips and foods with a lot of fats. So it's not that my diet mainly consists of junk food or anything of that sort.

The only days I manage to make it over 1200 are usually the days I eat ice cream and that's only because I add a banana and chocolate syrup to it. And I'm not always in the mood for that heavy of a snack so I don't eat it ever day. And even on those days I don't always reach 1200, so it's not even a guarantee that I will make it to that point.

Should I just not exercise at all? Should I force myself to eat the remaining calories if I'm not hungry? I don't want to get into the same rut as before by ignoring my body's signals that I'm full, but I also don't want to experience too many negative impacts on my health either. (the only thing I've noticed is I'm a bit more tired than I was prior to dieting, but not substantially.)

This hasn't prevented me from losing weight at all and I seem to be losing at a decent rate. (I lost about 12 pounds since Feb.) I'm just concerned I'm not eating enough

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, since this is really concerning for me.

I am 5'1 1/4 and newly starting a vegetarian diet for ethical reasons if that helps at all.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 03:12:36 )
The thing with satiety is different foods have different types of energy, and different types of energy involve different amounts of calories and such. There's also the matter of your physical stomach. What does 1100 calories of food look like in size, typically? See, your stomach may stretch- but depending on how hungry you are when you eat and other factors, you won't need or feel able to eat that much. I think there are other pieces to the puzzle too.

As for the amount of weight loss... I'm pretty sure up to two pounds a week is considered safe. If you're particularly worried, my best recommendation would be to see a doctor. In this case, perhaps a nutritionist would be the most logical practitioner? I only know things I've read and the like. That said... If you're eating a lot of legumes, for example, you're quicker to feel full I've read. Again, don't quote me on any of this. I'll do some research online and maybe ask my father who's accustomed to random medicalish questions if needed. (He's not a doctor, but he's been to so many and is from a family of them so he kinda just learned a lot from listening in xD)

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 15:52:51 )
@juneberry: Thank you so much for the response and for being willing to ask your dad. I'm sure there is indeed a lot I'm missing as far as the puzzle goes. But I'm not exactly sure what it is. It at least seems that I'm losing weight at a safe rate which is good. But yes, please do let me know what you find out if anything from your dad or research. I'd honestly appreciate it a lot.

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 18:09:59 )
@Lithinel: Timing was off last night so I'll ask him when he's feeling better today (runs, fun stuff). I'll keep you posted for sure though! If you want, I can turn to health sections of writing servers I'm on- most of them have places to talk about health and science research and/or to vent about health issues. Not sure why most writers have those, it feels like. xD

How are you feeling overall? You started this in February and noted the weight loss... You said you don't feel any notable ill effects, but any little thing is good to keep in mind. Also, I would say to keep an eye on your blood pressure (I say this to anyone). Depending on the veggies you eat and your body in general, you'd be surprised how they can affect you. My father's addiction to celery and already having a tendency towards high blood pressure turned out horribly because celery has a surprising amount of salt if you eat entire stalks of it at a time.

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 18:51:51 )
I'd be interested to see the source that says you need 1200 calories minimum per day. I am the same height as you, also vegetarian, and I usually feel fine with about 1000. My partner recently started using a weight loss app, they are much taller and heavier than me, and 1200 is the minimum amount that was recommended to them. It's just weird to think it would be the same for someone my size.

You said you've been feeling more tired since you began your diet. If you started your exercise routine and your diet at the same time, is it possible that it's the exercise that's making you tired instead of a lack of calories?
Sean, 25, they/them

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 23:31:54 )
@juneberry: No worries at all. Ask him whenever you can. I really appreciate the gesture honestly, so whenever you get the chance is fine. And yes, please. That would be great if you could please turn to some of your writing servers if possible. And actually, would you mind recommending a few to me as well? As a writer myself, I think that could even be a beneficial place for me to join.

The only side-effect I really have been feeling is a little bit of tiredness. Nothing more than that. But I don't know if it's due to so few calories or another reason. We actually have a blood pressure pump at our house that both my parents and myself use a few times a week usually, and thus far it seems to be healthy or "normal." I will definitely keep an eye on it though.

@theory: Honestly, almost every single source I check says that no one should go under 1200 calories a day, regardless of height. This is on different health websites (though some may not be accurate it's the same on all of them) any google search turns up the same results. As well as my weight loss app. After I finish logging my calories in for the day I'll get a message reminding me that my daily recommended minimum is 1200. I've always thought as long as you have 1000 at least you'd be fine. But that's apparently not the case.

I never thought of the exercise being the cause for lack of energy. Tha's actually a very good point, so thank you for bringing that up. I did start exercising and dieting at the same time, so it's very possible it could be the exercise causing me to feel tired. Especially since I wasn't use to it before,

Voltie — She/It Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 23:35:50 )
@Lithinel: Sure I can! Shall I DM you the discord groups I'm in for it? I've only notably got two in mind. One requires (sorta) joining their forum, but you don't really have to be too active. Can be though. They're doing an event for camp that I'm in~ the other group is run by my mag actually. xD But I'll take a look into getting info while I wait for your response~ But for tiredness... It can be from a lot of things. I get tired a lot due to medical issues like my fibromyalgia and such more than from not eating enough :/ It also depends on how you sleep, how *well* you sleep... There's a lot to it, basically!

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/1 20:41:41 )
The guidelines can be really off for some people because everyone's body is different and the amount of energy you need will differ depending on your body composition and what you do mentally as well as physically on a daily basis. But Literally NO diet recommendation takes all of things into account, as far as I know. There's not even an objective way to measure that. The only thing that can account for all of what you do is your own body.
In my very biased-against-diets opinion, ignore the guidelines and just do what feels right. If there's nothing majorly wrong with your system, your body can regulate itself.
Ping me

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/2 08:13:09 )

@Lithinel: I recently found out that im underweight which isn't healthy. I do eat enough everyday but I never pay attention to calories. I rarely exercise but when I do (and ik i rlly need to) i end up feeling dizzy/shaky afterwards. I am 5'1" as well and I'm 90 lbs. I'm also still a teen. I should check my weight again soon, but I don't trust the scale at my house, so ill have to wait til I go to the doctors. I do prefer eating healthy over junk food but I still eat junk food and fats. I always feel insecure about my body and I'm not skinny enough. I used to put off drinking anything for days, so that meant no water, nothing. Also, last year I would skip breakfast and not eat at all til like 1 or 2 which my body wasn't used to. I often got lightheaded and dizzy, but I'm great now. Trying to be healthy, good thing I love pretty much any food especially fruits and veggies. Anyways, when I workout I'm pretty sure I burn calories (probably not enough tho) but the problem is my body isn't used to me working out. (I workout at home) So, I feel even more tired, thirsty, out of breath, shaky, and faint afterwards. Ive been trying to take care of my body lately because I've gotten to the point where I wanna be perfect and look perfect which i know is never gonna happen. I just want to get rid of some belly fat, that's all. (My body does have a lot of issues, but I don't wanna get into that rn) If I could eat a salad everyday, I would. Idk what foods would help me lose belly fat before summer or what at home workouts would help but I'm gonna try to workout whenever I can!
Also like theory said, lack of energy could be because of the workouts you have been doing. I get extremely exhausted afterwards as well, and I'm not on a diet atm, so its just the workout.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.