Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature To Read or Not To Read

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/5 04:01:05 )
Okay, so I really enjoy reading. Normally reading teen fiction type of books.
I would love some suggestions on more books to read, based off of what I currently have. Or we can talk about these books!

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire
The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, Clockwork Princess
The Dark Artifacts: Lady Midnight, Lord of Shadows
The Bane Chronicles
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Inheritance Cycle: Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance
Harry Potter: Sorcerers Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows
Divergent Trilogy: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant
Hunger Games Trilogy: Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay
5th Wave Trilogy: The 5th Wave, The Infinite Sea, The Last Star
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King
Have Read
Have Not Read

So, yeah, the Shadowhunter universe is my absolute favorite. So much, I actually want a tattoo from the series. I never thought I would want a tattoo from a book series, but here I am.
So I'm open for suggestions, or to talk about favorite books!
Let's Begin!

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/5 04:16:29 )
@Q t e a p o n: Did it post multiple times?! I didn't mean to, it must have happened when I was editing?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/5 04:20:24 )
@Q t e a p o n: I think it was because when I posted it, it didn't post everything I wrote. So instead of rewriting everything, I just clicked the back button and made changes and posted again. But that happened a few times where it didn't post everything I wrote. So that must have been where the multiple threads came up. I'm sorry!
And yes, this is the one!

Donator — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/5 06:02:23 )
    I have not finished The Mortal Instruments series, I believe I was in the middle of City of Fallen Angels when I got distracted from the book. I had been reading the Kindle versions of the book but have recently bought all the books to add to my growing library. I did enjoy what I had read so far.

I was absolutely heartbroken by the Divergent Trilogy. I really loved the first book, the second book irritated me, the third book.. I just try and block it from my mind. I’ve created a different version of how that storyline goes and that is how I’ve survived the trilogy.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/6 03:15:23 )
@llyr: Let me be the one to tell you that you need to finish the Mortal Instruments. Then continue the universe by reading the other Shadowhunter books. They are my absolute favorite. I will say that City of Fallen Angels is probably the one that takes me the longest to read. It's a bit slower than the other books.

I'm gonna put the Divergent Trilogy in a spoiler.
I remember right before reading this series I thought to myself, "Why doesn't the main character ever die? They can put whatever suspenseful moments they want, but you always know they live. They should just kill off the main character sometime."
Then I fucking read this book. It pissed me off so much. One because yeah, Tris dies and she's the most main character in the series.
But more importantly, it's HOW she died. Like, how it was written was like she just gave up. I can get over that she dies, but I can't get over that it was written so poorly in my opinion.
I did find it a little surprising when the movie ended with her still being alive though. Guess a lot of people didn't like that she died. Lol

@Elithiya: OMG! Yes! We shall be best buddies! I really want to get the Perseverance rune tattooed. I wish the tv show would have been better. I guess it isn't absolutely horrendous, but they're skipping around so much and it would have done so much better if it followed a bit more closer to the books.
I'm currently reading Lady Midnight, then I'll read Lord of Shadows. I'm only just now reading them because when Lady Midnight came out, I wanted to read all of Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy first. But that was released so much later than Lady Midnight. Then when I finally got Shadowhunter Academy I decided that I had to re-read The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices before I could read Shadowhunter Academy. So.. It's been a lot of reading to just start Lady Midnight.
Harry Potter, Divergent, Hunger Games, and 5th Wave I all got because of the movies. Lol
As for Hunger Games. Yes, I agree it was a bit hard to read. I never felt like I got to know Katniss in the books.

Yes! I'm so excited for the suggestions. I need more books to read once I finish the ones I have, otherwise I'll just probably reread something again.
I'm pretty sure I saw the cover of the Lunar Chronicles and was interested in it by that. Julie Kagawa sounds very familiar and I'm not sure why. I wasn't too sure about reading Percy Jackson, I guess the books are better than the movies? I also haven't heard of any of the other books you listed. But they sound like things I should check out!

Donator — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/6 04:08:48 )
    @Bubble Tea: Ah! Well then I am glad it wasn't just me that found City of Fallen Angels slower than the previous reads. I thought that maybe I had just hit a rut with the series or that I was becoming disinterested. /phew Faith restored in being able to enjoy the rest of the series/universe.

It isn't very often that I throw books across the room because I literally love most books too much to abuse them that way... BUT! I tossed Allegiant across the room like it had personally attacked me. I mean I get it, I GET IT, she dies in place of her brother- it was a quote/unquote noble sacrifice and not just throwing her life away like she seemed want to do in Insurgent. BUT OH MY GOD MISS ROTH YOU CANNOT DO THAT TO ME. And then just, Four? Ugh. It was physically painful to read how he dealt with her death.

The original plan for the last movie was to split it into two seperate movies, Allegiant and Ascendant. It had always been their plan to follow along with the same ending as the book. However it just didn't get enough attention and they decided not to make it. Which, I'm sort of glad, because at least in one version of that universe Tris is still alive. :vanora_cry:

Donator — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/6 17:02:48 )
    @Elithiya: I will certainly make sure to take note of your previous suggestions. I’ll hopefully have some free time coming up in a few months and I’m planning to use some of that time to get back into reading more frequently.

Thank you! I was just going to say the same thing about yours, I had noticed it in another thread. I love how the Roosevelt glasses look on her. She reminds me of some woodland witch.

Donator — she/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/7 10:15:12 )
    @Elithiya: It should be a thing, for sure! Reader's block AND what I call book hangover.
    I've had some books *cough* Allegiant *cough that when I was finished with it,
    I just felt really emotionally drained as the reader...
    There was no way I could start reading another book when I was still feeling the effects of the last book.

I am anxiously awaiting more accessories in general.
    I find myself wanting to add more to the arms and neck area when I'm creating an avatar.
Currently Questing;
keep warm
librarian
fabled
draconic dream

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/8 01:22:47 )
@llyr: I understand. I'm pretty sure I had that thought as well when I first read Fallen Angels. Just get past that book and I'm sure you'll be flying through the rest. It gets SO good in Heavenly Fire.
I didn't have that reaction. I was more like, dumbfounded. I didn't know how to process it at first. Yeah, I agree. I understand why Tris did it, but at the same time, how the death was written totattlly made it seem like Tris could have hung in there until there was surgery preformed and lived through it. But no!
I know!! The rest of the book was just so hard to read. Four was a mess. That chapter where he's remembering the first time he saw her jerked me a lot.

I had thought that they were supposed to split the 3rd book into two, but the second never came out and the first covered most/ of what happened in 3rd book. I was kinda thinking that they scrapped that idea and just changed the ending themselves. I'm not sure how I feel,
I kinda wish they did have her die in the movies too, so everyone could be pissed. LOL

@Elithiya: It is, it's probably one of my most favorite in designs, but it also means a lot. I feel like I've gone through a lot in my life that I had to fight for and made it through. So it would be a good remembrance to everything in the past and to the future.
I don't think there's anything wrong with having multiple runes. I think that's a good idea.
I think the show is great for people who haven't read the book. Or read the books after watching the show. That's how I feel about movies. I really like reading the books after watching the movie, then I don't hate the movie. Lol
It was torture to wait so long before I could finally start reading them. And yeah, I have my on/off spells of reading. This is one of those times that's it on. Lol.

It's funny that you mention Vampire Dairies. I'm just now starting to watch that show. LOL. I feel so behind. I've seen some of the Maze Runners. Don't think I've watched all of it.

AHH! That's where I remember her name! I was really wanting to read the Iron Fey, I just never got around to finding all the books to purchase. I'm so glad you like it! Now I really want to go out and get them so I can read it!!

Alright, I'll have to check out those too. A nice quick read is good to me. I think that's why I really like the Shadowhunters universe so much. Not too much of drawing things out.

---

On a note of "book hangover", when I was reading the end of Clockwork Princess I was crying so much that I couldn't see. Like, I had to put the book down and just cry for a while before I could finish reading it. When I did finish it, I felt so drained from crying. And I was so upset that the series ended.
I hope she writes the series that's supposed to happen afterward The Infernal Devices soon.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.