Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts I Left My Heart in Middle Earth!

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 08:56:49 )
@Saeyra: I'll join but I'll be the Unicorn -giggles-
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 12:17:30 )

@Eruca: I'm tall, slender, light on my feet and good hearing. Tolkien's description of an Elf.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 13:47:36 )
@Saeyra: Yah, I know River is his wife, but I feel like Tennant cared about her more intensely in the library episode when he has no idea who she was than all of the other meetings when the doctor already met her a couple times. I think because the writing later on was much more plot driven than it is concerned with the characters... I mean at this point it's down to taste.

Yeah, same about Capaldi... I feel like he finally spent a season not saying lines meant for Smith and then it's over. :x I like Bill too but wish she was a little more sassy because it's clear she has a certain kind of world view, but it came out really contrived in moments like when they met the 1st doctor. I mean, Bill is such a new companion, she didn't get a chance to get past the wonderment before *spoilers* she had to go. It's a good story, but it would have been better if she were more developped in the first place. We know facts about her but it's all underused. I'm not really emotionally attached to her like I was Donna or Martha, so for me she's less compelling of a character. Acting was great though, especially the mirror thing.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 13:50:33 )
@Tuijp: Add some prosthetic ears and you're ready for a movie. lol

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 13:52:59 )

@Eruca: or some plastic surgery
I will also need longer hair.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 13:56:04 )
@Tuijp: You must be aware of that guy who got major olastic surgery to look like an elf. Still didn't manage to look like Lee Pace as Thranduil.
:vanora_xd:

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 14:36:41 )

@Eruca: I believe he changed a lot in his body. I just need the ears.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 14:38:03 )
@Tuijp: You're one up on that guy.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 16:01:30 )
@Eruca: You are right about Bill leaving too soon. She was so fun and childlike, I feel like they had a student-teacher relationship that could have really been explored but didn't really get the chance to. I wasn't really into the Clara-Doctor relationship which was more father-daughter I think..didn't really make that much of a lasting impact on me. I do love Nardole though, he brought the sass!

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 19:35:32 )
November 2017 - February 2018
@tuijp: You can give me the titles if you want to, but I probably won't watch them to be honest as it is. So it's up to you.

@eruca: Sorry for the delay, I've just got back on. But for me, the saddest companion departure will always be Rose. Not just because she was by far my favorite companion but because of her relationship with The Doctor and how much they truly cared for each other/were in love. It was utterly heartbreaking and I was sobbing by the end of Doomsday and The End of Time. Plus, I found Rose to be the most relatable out of all of the companions. What departure was saddest for you?

Oh wow. Really? I think Tolkien being racist/fascist is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. I've even heard people accuse him of being sexist because of the lack of female characters, which is complete hogwash as well. Though he had many more male characters than female characters, all of his female characters were strong, independent, and actually served a purpose. But exactly, it's not like he was trying to write a factual record of history.

@saeyra: Hey, I'm jumping in on the Doctor Who convo too. So I wanted to be sure to ping you so you'd see it.

It seems we all sort of have different opinions about River. In my case, I never really liked River much at all to be honest. I mean she was fun, and brilliant, and a cool woman, but I feel they tried too hard to make her "special." It wasn't enough to have her be The Doctor's wife and the fact they keep meeting in the wrong order, but they also had to make her Amy and Rory's daughter, who was stolen from them. And even then THAT wasn't as far enough in proving her level of "specialness," they had to drag it even further. I mean while on Doctor Who anything is possible, they just took it too far I feel. She felt more like a Mary Sue to me than well rounded and realistic/relatable companion. Plus, while I feel that The Doctor definitely loved River, I don't feel he was truly IN LOVE with her despite the fact that she was his wife. And that made their storylines less compelling and quite a bit less emotional to me than they could have been. They were still sad of course, but I didn't find myself crying nearly as much as I did with most other things.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 19:48:37 )
@Lithinel: Yeah the whole Rory and Amy's daughter thing was really weird but I guess they wanted to make someone capable of truly understanding The Doctor to be his wife. Sure, humans can empathize with his loneliness and his need for adventure but they will never know how it feels to regenerate and to live so long and see so much. They had to make another Time Lord. Sure, she seems like just a female version of The Doctor and that's not really creative but maybe they will flesh her out more in the future? The only other time lord is The Master and frankly his relationship with the doctor is beautiful as it is, no point trying to change that one. I am not trying to change your opinion on her I am just showing you how she looks like from my perspective. :vanora_smile:

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 20:24:37 )
@saeyra: That is a very good point, and I can kind of see where you're going with it. Maybe that's actually another reason I don't care for her is because she's just like a female version of The Doctor. They're too similar. I respect your opinion and definitely wouldn't try to change it. :) I just haven't been much a River fan from day one. And I really don't know why.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 21:04:53 )
@Lithinel: I was the most sad when Donna left mostly because Catherine Tate and David Tennant had a unique chemistry. And all the Doctor Donna possibilities!! Oh well. But Rose leaving was a pang on the heart too.
Glad you decided to join the conversation! The next part is for you too. c:

@Saeyra: IMO, two people don't have to understand each other completely to be in love, e.g. The Doctor and Rose. River is really different from Rose, she has more experiences with the time lord thing to bring her "footing" closer to the doctor. But she doesn't have to BE the doctor either, and I think it was a mistake to need the Doctor's wife be so similar to him (or that he had a wife at all... I mean... seriously? marriage? really?). If it's about a badass female doctor, Jodie Whittaker is doing it right now. lol

Speaking of that, what do you think about the decision to go female? Are you excited for the new season?

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 21:22:12 )
@Eruca: Well Rose kinda became time itself in Bad Wolf so she has alot more understanding about time and The Doctor than almost everyone, even probably River. I wouldn't mind following River on some of her adventures without The Doctor. She seems really independent and clever in her own right. We just didn't get the chance to really see her in action without The Doctor taking the spotlight. Maybe they were trying to set up a spin off? Or testing the waters for the eventual female Doctor Who. They have been really cautious about doing it. First they had River, then they made Missy (which I loved). Before taking the plunge with the actual Doctor.

I feel like Jodie Whittaker has big shoes to fill and I am really hoping she will do a good job because she is setting a precedent for future female Doctors. If she does badly they won't ever take a chance like that again. So fingers crossed!

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 21:48:32 )
@Saeyra: To me, bad wolf was just time somehow deciding in some non-agent way to message the Doctor, and the most effective way of doing that was to show him the image of Rose. I feel like it didn't really have to do with Rose the human per se. Maybe that's just my weird way of interpreting an intentionless universe in a story where they try to attribute intent to time.

I really think the quality of the acting has less of an impact than the overall writing quality. I mean, I say this because I believe in Whittaker as an actor cuz I'd been following her stuff for a while. At least, for me, none of the previous doctors have failed in this respect. But the show as a whole has hit and missed in other ways.
I hope she does well too. And her team. Fingers crossed indeed.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 22:21:06 )
@Eruca: From what I understood she looked into the time vortex and she merged with it or it possessed her body, it wasn't just an image. She was actually there, The Doctor even held her in his arms.

Well actors have their own way of interpreting a script. Some actors find their sweet spot straight away and the transition is really good and some might take some time like Capaldi. But you are right, the writing is really important and they also need to find their stride and make it believable.

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 22:45:09 )
@Saeyra: I forgot about that as a mechanic, probably because it makes no sense. lol I guess that's just the right excuse needed for Clara to jump into the Doctor's timeline.

Yeah, I kind of see what you mean. Whatever happened happened on international television. lol Now we have a new batch, whatever it's worth.

A lot of fans on youtube are saying stuff like "This is the downfall of Doctor Who!" and like "Doctor Who ratings are so low it's gonna be dropped in the new season!" And I'm sitting here wondering where on Earth they found evidence for that. Am I missing something? Maybe it's actually not on Earth. lmao

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/13 23:41:10 )
@eruca: Donna was probably the third most painful departure for me. Hers was number two, but Clara's in Face The Raven hit me harder than Donna's. And I'm not sure if it's as much as her death (since she technically came back) but rather the reason WHY (ie she thought Rigsy was going to die, so she decided to take his place) and when she told Twelve, "never be a warrior, always a doctor.) The next part is for you as well.

@Saeyra: Again, this if for both of you. I am pretty excited for the female Doctor actually. I haven't seen any of Jodie's work, but I'm willing to actually SEE her in action before making any judgements as to whether or not I like her as The Doctor. That's what so many people don't seem to get. It's not her gender that's going to determine whether or not she's good as The Doctor, it's about her acting skills and if she can pull the role off well. As long as she still has the quirkiness that The Doctor is supposed to have, I'll be pretty good. I'm just disappointed she's not ginger. (JK)

Donator — Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/14 00:12:44 )
@Saeyra:
@Lithinel: Oops, sorry I forgot to ping you in the other replies. :P Didn't Peter Capaldi used to be ginger?

Yeah, Clara dying was such a shock and left me wondering wtf was gonna happen. lol Somehow, I liked Rigsy though. I wanted him to be the companion afterwards, tbh. :P
Ping me

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/14 08:04:31 )
@Eruca:
@Lithinel:

Is Clara the first companion who died? Her death was so sudden and unexpected for me too. You always expect the doctor to win in the end and the companions to survive and retire. I know Rory and Amy sort of died but they kinda lived out their lives in the past and died of old age.

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.