Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Should I take my dog to the vet or wait?

Donator — they / he Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:10:51 )

So I was sitting and petting my dog when I noticed he appears to have a scratch under his eye. I assume it was from when he scratched himself earlier since he was scratching quite a bit.
The scratch just looks a tiny bit swollen and red, I don't think theres any blood though. Should I schedule a visit to the vet or wait a few days to see if it improves? Also is there anything I can do to try and keep him from scratching the area again in the meantime?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:23:06 )
You should wash the area and apply a bit of antibiotic cream so that an infection doesn't occur. I would wait a few days while doing that. If it gets any worse take him to the vet. Sadly the only thing that would stop him from scratching would be to get an Elizabethan cone of some sort so he can't reach the area.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:23:38 )
@SamSpyroxis: forgot to ping you

Donator — they / he Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:27:16 )

@Taemins Lover: Would I need a dog specific antibiotic cream or would something like neosporin work? I'm always nervous when it comes to medications and my pets ;u;

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:29:23 )
@SamSpyroxis: Neosporin would be fine to use. No worries! There is nothing harmful with it since it is just antibiotics that prevent bacteria from growing.

Donator — they / he Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:31:48 )

@Taemins Lover: Thanks for the help ;u; I'll go ahead and try that out and if it doesnt get any better I'll schedule a vet visit for him.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:33:03 )
@SamSpyroxis: no problem, but yeah. Just keep an eye on it and the second you notice it's worse you should take him, especially because it's close to his eye.

Donator — they / he Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/17 14:57:33 )

@Taemins Lover: I'll definitely do that. Thanks again!
Always @ me
DATHIGTwitter

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.