Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/9 18:47:35 )
I recently started renting a house with one bathroom (one toilet, one shower) and one of the tiles in our bathroom got knocked loose. My landlord brought in a contractor to "fix it" and the contractor talked him into completely redoing our entire bathroom.

I don't really care, but we... We have to live there. And this entire ordeal is taking days, not hours. They removed the shower days ago so I've been running to my grand parents house to shower before I work in the morning.

They decided to remove the toilet yesterday and only put it back, unsecured, after my pregnant sister and I bitched about it.

And the cherry on top is they completely removed the door and hinges so in order to use the sad toilet, I have to pick up the door and place it against the frame, tell the house to fuck off for a second so I can have privacy, and then take a leak with a gaping hole in the frame.

I'm very frustrated. :( we looked up our tenant rights yesterday and it's all vague wording and fuzzy numbers regarding the landlord providing plumbing.

I just want this to be over aaaa. I want to pee in peace and shower in my own bathroom again.

Tell me of your frustrations, Voltra. How have you survived home renovations?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/10 00:48:01 )
I am thankful that my issues have never been that bad. It sounds like a serious nightmare...

The worst issue I ever had is that my shower for the longest time kept leaking. And we're not talking just a little drip. But like, each time I would use the shower, the hot water wouldn't turn off all the way and it would get progressively worse each time I used it, until it was just a raging torrent of water. And each time it would happen, I'd contact my landlords and they'd send a guy over to fix it and then like a month later, it would start doing it again. Then the last time I tried getting them to fix it, they said "oh, we'll let our guy know and send him over as soon as he's available", no one shows up. A couple weeks later I go back to talk to the landlords and I get "Oh, no one showed up? So sorry, we'll get him over this afternoon to take care of it!" ...and again nothing. So when the building switched ownership, I mentioned it to the new landlords and it was properly taken care of right away. No issues since then.

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/10 02:22:43 )
Sheesh. That's terrible.

Not a renovation story but a landlord story. My oldest is 20 and she and her husband had to downgrade apartments to something more affordable. They have tenant only parking and a laughably small section for visitor parking. Her husband's father bought him a car but the car is in her father-in-law's name so their landlord refuses to give them a parking space. She argued that they pay to live there, they deserve a place to park. He denied it. Her husband, Harrison said that the visitor parking spaces are always full. The landlord said, "Really?! Come on! There's 6 parking spaces." They tried to explain that for one, 3 of those spaces are handicap parking, so technically there's only 3 spaces available for them. And that 6 parking spaces for an 89 unit building is ridiculously illogical. It really doesn't take a genius to see how that doesn't add up well. But he wouldn't stop cutting them off two words in. My daughter is painfully shy but has my temper and Harrison noticed that her fuse was going to reach it's limit, so he had to practically drag her out of there before she got them evicted.
I just can't believe how this asshole thinks this is not an issue. More than once they went somewhere and came back to find all 3 available parking spots full, so they had to drive around aimlessly and keep coming back to see if they could park.

Edit: Harrison's father pays for the car loan, insurance and repair costs, so he's a bit hesitant of signing the car over to him in case something happens to it.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/10 15:51:15 )
One house my parents rented when I was a kid had a bathroom door that was off the hinges, so I've had to deal with that whole picking-up-door to use it and telling everyone in the house to stay away. It sucked, especially in a house of 5, and since it blocks everyone from going to their bedrooms when someone needs to use it.

But that's not nearly as bad when everything else isn't going on D: I'm sorry you have to go through it. I hope it finishes before too much longer!

ama

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.