Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Mini Shops ℝefined | profiles, graphics, layouts - full! come chat!

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:16:36 )

@Prodigy: Ohhhhh damn!
I love how subtle it is!
[And that blue hair is win, too!]

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:17:38 )
@Neko: Oh that's smart! I haven't even thought about updating all that stuff. ><

@Lady Luna: Thanks! :D Yeah, she's my girl that I can practically dress in anything and have her look good. xD Everyone else has a pretty set style.

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:18:16 )
neko says;
@Prodigy: right?

omg you do faceups? i cry. i love doll customization so much. I havent ever done it tho.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:18:28 )

@Prodigy: Having one that is pretty much 'ehhh, I wanna do X' is ALWAYS good. Lol.
Although she looks so unimpressed there. XD

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:21:06 )
@Neko: Yep! I've been doing them since I started collecting. :D It's one of my favorite parts of the doll hobby. Right now I think I have like 10 commissions to work on but they're all so much fun, so I don't really mind.

@Lady Luna: Yeah, she flips between looking badass/chill to super cute really easily. Her sculpt is pretty versatile. ^^ I have dolls of all different sizes so I love seeing how different they can be!

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:22:42 )
neko says;
@Prodigy: Ah, you sell them?
I wanted to customize some monster high girls but I have 0 of the materials so it'd be quite costly. @ - @

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:24:20 )
@Neko: I have a collection of my own and then I do commissions to paint other people's dolls. ^^ I've bought a few to paint/customize and then sell in the past but most of my hobby income comes from faceup commissions. The materials can be really expensive, but luckily they last FOREVER so you can buy them once and then just replenish stuff here and there.

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:25:36 )
neko says;
@Prodigy: I imagine the only things you have to really repurchase are sealant and pencils. The pastels should last a while, as paint or doll hair.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:26:48 )
@Neko: Yeah, pastels last forever. I still have my same pastels as I bought when I first started the hobby! I buy sealant pretty often, as well as watercolor pencils and sometimes paint, but usually I get the small bottles so they don't dry out or separate so quickly.

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:27:45 )
neko says;
@Prodigy: I'll probably start but get supplies one at a time. Q . Q Hopefully I'm decent at it.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:28:26 )
@Neko: It mostly just takes a lot of practice! I did a faceup comparison a little while ago comparing my faceups throughout the year and holy cow it's crazy to see how much my work has changed!

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:29:12 )

@Prodigy: That's awesome~
What'd she run ya, total?

Donator — nyan? Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:29:56 )
neko says;
@Prodigy: Right! luckily I have an idea of what kind of style I want to have with faceups, as I watch people on youtube do them daily and I've really got a liking for big dolly eyes and lots of sparkle.

sell me rigs please♥

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:32:37 )
@Lady Luna: I think she originally was about $240 USD, but I've upgraded her body since to a different one from another company, so now I think she's worth around $350-400 or so. I've had dolls from about $150 all the way up to $900. >< It all really depends on the size, resin color, company, etc.

@Neko: That's good! Looking at tutorials or other faceups is a really good way to get the hang of your own style. That's how I first started, too. ^^ And YES to sparkle. ALL THE SPARKLE.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:33:42 )

@Prodigy: Damn.
But I'm not surprised.
BJD's are gorgeous.... but damn they are expensive, LOL
Especially for a poor Canadian!

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:35:20 )
@Lady Luna: They're SO expensive. I started with a small Hujoo that was around $30 and then a small vinyl Dollfie from Volks that was about $25. They gave me the practice for faceups and stuff that I needed without the huge cost. Luckily, there are more and more companies that are coming out nowadays with lower priced dolls. ^^

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:40:07 )

@Prodigy: I...... didn't even know that there were ANY under 50!
But in all seriousness, I'm not surprised that there are more coming out.
BJD's are gaining popularity. It's still not ... uhh, I guess 'mainstream', but there's at least a large enough fanbase and such to warrant it~<3

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:42:21 )
@Lady Luna: The ones under $50 aren't resin, they're made of ABS instead, but they're still super cute! Really good if you want to try out the hobby without getting your wallet to hate you. >< But yeah, I'm glad they're becoming a bit more accepted now since they're a lot of fun. My coworkers always are entertained when I get doll stuff mailed to my work address.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:43:02 )

@Prodigy: I may have to look into that~<3
I would love to give face painting a try. Not.... not that I think I'd be any good, LOL

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/02/1 22:59:32 )
@Lady Luna: You never know! Omg you should see some of my early stuff. I looked like I was drawing with a crayon! But practice definitely makes perfect with faceups. ><

Ping me so I don't ghost you by accident!
ART REQUEST

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.