Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat oh dear, we're in public

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 8 months ago ( 2023/08/15 18:12:08 )
Hey y'all, hoping everyone is having a decent start to their week!

It's been slow for me and I'm all discombobulated for a few reasons, but trying to stay motivated and productive to at least some degree. I realize I'm maybe not so good or consistent at interacting with this community yet but it's already been a pleasure to just see folks chatting and I'll keep trying to engage some more in other threads when I can.

Alas today I'm struggling to stay motivated at work, and instead have distracted myself thoroughly by reading the many different definitions and potential applications of the word "public," inspired by a chat I had with someone this weekend. We realized we weren't sure if a church would be considered a "public place" and I kinda love delving into the nuances of language and meaning, so here I am. It's a fun one, both adjective and noun. Neat that it can be both broad ("of or relating to people in general") and specific (relating it to government, nation/state, or business affairs in particular). Some definitions refer to types of funding making something public (i.e. public radio), whereas it can also of course just mean "exposed to general view" which is so open to interpretation haha.
Definitely gonna have to say churches are public places; didn't have much doubt there but was still intrigued to look up the word itself.

I will say that it's not as interesting as the word "salad," which I did way too much research on some years ago. But it certainly has gotten me through this work day lol.

Anyone have any fun words they like, and why? Gimme some words of the day to throw at my queen Merriam-Webster.
Hoping everyone's doing well and feeling good!

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 8 months ago ( 2023/08/22 16:33:43 )
@Alexia:
We live laugh love some lgbtq+ vocab goodness, I'd love to hear about anything that's been interesting to you along those lines too if you'd like to share!
I also appreciate that your fun words could be combined, perhaps one could engage in fickle bouts of tomfoolery eh?

@neon:
haha I do that as well, I've tried to get better about interrupting conversations but sometimes I just Gotta Know That Thing.
Also loved that article you linked, fun stuff! "...you often find the formation "troller", rather than "troll", to describe one who engages in trolling, suggesting that the word was originally a verb, and that the noun came later." <-- exactly that kinda stuff is fun, it's little details and all but I find it fascinating. Thanks for the share!

Donator — he/him/theirs Posted 8 months ago ( 2023/08/23 18:18:19 )
@Alexia:
I'm thinkin' I can understand what you're getting at; tough to have a pretty confident sense of self that also seems to require some degree of explanation to others. And it always sucks to not align with the mirror, them things I can all understand having trans experience myself!

It's what rocks about having spaces like this to be expressive and presenting in ways that align best, all that good stuff :)
Plus exploring identity and the nuances therein with terminology/etymology and such can be super helpful. Ultimately we are all our unique selves but so long as we are respectful of others it helps to have words to relate to those others with, naturally !

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.