Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Favorite recipes to make?

Donator — They/Them Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/11 03:30:14 )
I've recently been in a food making mood and would like to make something great but at the same time, doesn't take too many ingredients to make or are too long to make.

Usually I like to make homemade versions of restaurant food or even any recipes that uses the slow cooker.

Do you have any recipes you'd like to share?

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/11 04:16:52 )
@WretroughWorld:

my chocolate cake recipe
1. 2 cups of flour
2. 3 eggs
3.1 cup milk
4.1/2 cup chocolate powder
stir until a light brown color
put into the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 20-30 minutes
wait for it to cool
strawberry cream cheese (i like the Philadelphia brand best)
drizzle Hersheys milk chocolate syrup on if (how ever much you prefer)
Bon appetite!

Voltie — HIM Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/11 05:09:12 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Homemade pasta sauce is a great slow cooker recipe. Use it for spaghetti, lasagna, chicken parm, baked ziti, stuffed shells, maybe even as a pizza sauce if you don't mind it a little chunky.

This isn't an exact recipe, because my girlfriend always plays it by ear but it usually goes something like this:
Brown up a couple pounds of ground beef (or other meat) and drain the excess fat.
Dump the meat into the crockpot/slowcooker, add in a couple cans of tomato paste, mix it up, add a big can of tomato juice (shake it first), and mix again.
That's the basic part done, and from there you season it and add extra tomato products as you like to bulk it up.
Italian seasoning blend, garlic powder, and minced onion/onion powder. 'Too much' is not in my girlfriend's vocabulary for this. Usually a generous dusting covering the whole pot full of each one.
Then she would usually finish it by adding in cans of plain tomato sauce to fill it up, but I've been getting her to add cans of flavored diced tomatos or stewed tomatos.
Fire roasted diced, olive oil+Oregano+garlic diced, italian stewed. They're all good in this, and the slowcook time will cause them to basically melt away in the pot anyway.
Last thing is a sprinkling of sugar. It helps cut the acidity of the tomato. Something like half a tablespoon.
We make that up in the late evening (like 9-11pm), then we leave it to slowcook on low overnight. So simmering for like 12-16 hours.

Art by kiwi

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/11 05:32:59 )

A friend showed me this one and I really like it on warmer days Cowboy Caviar

Perfect for cooler/colder days. I made this, this week! Use 2 cups of broth, not 4! Pot Roast

I also make my own recipe for egg in tortillas.
1-2 eggs per person
1 red bell pepper per person (and maybe half an onion too? I can't eat onions)
1-2 tortillas per person depending on size
Salt and Pepper
+ Whatever kind of sauce you want like a Green Sauce, an Aoli, Sriracha, etc

Slice the Bell Peppers (and onion) and cook then over medium heat until just barely softened add salt and pepper to taste
Take those off the burner and add your eggs to the pan. Can be cooked anyway you like, I like fried but others like scrambled salt and pepper to taste
Warm the tortillas when the eggs are done (10 seconds)

Prep the tortillas by adding the veggies, eggs and sauce on top. Then your meal is done. And also I feel like this sounds like a lot of steps but it's just cook veggies, cook eggs and then put in tortillas.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/11 18:52:22 )

Donator — They/Them Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/12 00:44:55 )
These are all great recipes! I'm definitely gonna try these once I get home!

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/12 01:05:07 )

@WretroughWorld: Great let us know which ones you made and how you liked it!

Donator — They/Them Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/12 01:15:13 )
@Totalanimefan: I gotcha, I'll update soon!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/13 12:59:50 )
@WretroughWorld: Arroz Rojo is very easy to make and if you just want rice, adding lima beans (also called butter beans), peas, cubed carrots, and corn makes the dish more rounded and filling. To have as a side dish, braise whatever meat or vegetables in the crockpot (it's easy to buy refried beans and add some cotija for a full meal) for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and so on. The leftovers can be added to tamales if you have more time or just feel more ambitious.
Arroz Rojo by Everyday Latina. - https://everydaylatina.com/arroz-rojo-mexican-red-rice/
Crockpot or slow cooker recipes. - https://everydaylatina.com/?s=slow+cooker/

Donator — They/Them Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/13 17:17:03 )
@Totalanimefan: Sorry I was a bit late. Yesterday I made the cowboy caviar and let me tell you it's great and filling. Thank you for the recipe!

Donator — They/Them Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/13 17:18:35 )
Still gonna try new recipes to enjoy and pack to lunch! Post away!

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/13 17:20:09 )

@WretroughWorld: it’s no problem. I didn’t think you were late with an update.
Isn’t it good!? I tried it for the first time in Sept and I was in love. It’s so good and good for you. Just I bunch of veggies eaten in a fun way.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/14 20:33:59 )
I make Lasangna my way a lot. It disapppers in my house, lotsa times very little left overs.

Oven Ready Lasanga Noodles
2 bottles Prego or Spagetti sauce your choice
Cottage Cheese
Shredded Motzeralla and Parmasan Cheese
1 pound ground beef.

Fry the meat, when done add spagetti sauce.
Put a bit of sauce on bottom of a cake pan.
Add a layer of noodles.
Add Cottage Cheese, half the bags of motz and parmasan cheese to the sauce mix.
Then just layer the sauce mix on the noodles and keep going til you run out of noodles
bake in the oven for 55 mins, then add the rest of cheese and bake 5 mins, let rest for another 5-10 mins and your done.

Another recipe we make is Lumpia(pretty much eggrolls) that was taught to my by my friend. But that takes hours to make(at least for me cuz my arm bugs the crap outta me) cuz of all the rolling of the wrappers and then deep frying them.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/17 17:38:13 )

@macsen191: I like making lasagna in a similar way. :) I haven’t made it in a long time

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/20 18:32:23 )
I'm making a batch tommorow. My son requests it all the time and he's a really picky eater. He also loves the Chicken and Rice casserole we make.

Voltie — he | they Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/3 00:15:08 )
I feel like as of lately I've really been figuring out how to actually cook and feed myself a bit better. I think I've perfected spicing up macaroni and cheese, like the Kraft boxes, and they taste nothing like the box by itself. I don't really have measurements for this stuff, just measure with my heart, but it makes mac and cheese HD.
I end up using bacon grease (just a bit, I save it for incorporating into cooking), butter, milk, the cheese packet it comes with, garlic + onion powder, paprika, salt + pepper, creole seasoning and shredded cheese of your choice. I usually go fiesta blend

As for other stuff, I found this recipe online for a hot coco mix mug cake that has been my saving grace for when I want something sweet. I have this big container of hot coco mix and have primarily used it for these instead of just having hot coco.

Ingredients:
1/4th cup flour
1/4th cup hot coco mix
2 tbsp sugar
1/8th tsp salt
1/4th tsp baking powder
1/4th cup hot water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4th tsp vanilla extract

steps are really simple, get all your dry ingredients into a mug, mix in the wet ingredients until combined, then microwave for about 1:00-1:30 depending on your microwave.
It tastes so good ; _ ; !

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/3 06:08:00 )

oooh~ i see a lot of good recipes. it's been a long while since i've cooked anything substantial to be very honest...but i'm going to have to try some of these recipes!

bloop

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/7 16:16:11 )

Not a slow cooker recipe, but absolutely one of my favorite soft pretzel recipes. It's really easy to do on a chill stay-at-home day!! I'd even go as far as to say this is great beginner's into bread recipe, too. One of those quick learns. You can skip the baking soda/powder bath. It affects coloring, and longevity of chewiness. So without it, it's a bit harder after the first day (but not inedible, don't worry) and you won't get that same browning effect. Cool chemistry is the reason I think.
View here.
Anonymous:
Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups water, warm
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 packet active dry yeast
  • 4 ½ cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons oil, divided
  • ⅔ cup baking soda
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • coarse salt

Steps

• In a bowl, mix water, salt, and sugar until combined. Add yeast, and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.
  • Add flour and 2 tablespoons of oil, and mix thoroughly until a dough forms.
  • Remove the dough and use the remaining oil to cover the bowl.
  • Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a towel, and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
  • Cut dough into 8 pieces and roll them out into thin ropes, twisting the two ends to form a pretzel shape.
  • Add baking soda to a large pot of water, and bring to a rolling boil. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds per side.
  • Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
  • Enjoy!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/16 04:48:03 )
You can get a lot of mileage out of sheet pan dinners which are pretty quick, don't dirty many dishes, and can make leftovers.

Also things like Slow Cooker Butter Chicken make for easy meals.

And, sometimes, we'll use leftover rice to make chicken fried rice that can be eaten by itself or as Omelet Rice.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.