Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums The Undercurrent Apples and sundry delights

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 19:52:38 )
It seems like it would be nice to talk about some of the apples and other treats we all enjoy.

Cox's Orange Pippin is my favorite apple. It tastes very sharp and sweet, a little spicy, full of flavor, excellent skin and crisp texture, and it's beautiful.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 19:55:05 )
Golden Delicious is another classic. Off the tree it is subacid and candy sweet. That is, when it is actually yellow and not greenish. The texture is incredible, one of the best, not too dry or watery and just the right kind of crisp. The golden color is beautiful, the pomes are shapely, the lenticels bright, and a lovely russeting around the stem. She is the queen of apples, I say.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 19:57:09 )
Combine Cox's Orange Pippin and Golden Delicious and what do you get? Several of their daughters! Like Pinova and Rubinette, each having qualities of both. Pinova has that subacid, almost tangy sweetness of Golden Delicious, but Cox's Orange Pippin's spiciness. And Rubinette? Just perfect. My, they are tough to grow, though. Rubinette is a fussy damsel.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 19:59:58 )
McIntosh is another delight. Off the tree, they are quite tart, and the skin is somewhat tough, but let this beauty rest for a couple of weeks and you will have soft flesh with a floral, rose-lile scent and a sweetened, vinous taste, like concord grape wine. She is the mother of Cortland and Empire, too, and many others.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 20:09:19 )
Roxbury Russet is such a good apple. To be honest, it's a lot like Golden Delicious, but not quite as pretty. Nevertheless, it makes up for this by having a richer, stronger flavor. It's not much of a keeper though. You got to eat them pretty fast.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/6 20:10:54 )
Claygate Pearmain, how I love thee! Quite a nutty-flavored little apple, just an unsual experience. And they are so tiny! It's like almonds and apple.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 00:44:26 )
Cornish Gilliflower is a great apple, not the least of which because it's Cornish! I'm a big fan of Cornwall. Cornish Gilliflower is nice and sweet and tender with a tart spiciness and a pleasantly floral quality that smells like apple blossoms. That might seem obvious, but not a lot of apples are particularly floral once they become pomes. McIntosh is very floral as I said above, and famously Cripps Pink (Pink Lady) is a nicely floral/subtly bitter variety that is beloved by many and found in grocery stores frequently. But there's something really magical about the qualities of the Cornish Gilliflower apple. I could eat a million of them!

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 01:27:08 )
I love to press apple cider, too. One of my favorite combinations? Freshly picked Gala and McIntosh. I feel like any cider is wonderful cider, but there is something special about the two. I could REALLY go for some Gala/McIntosh cider right now.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 01:31:38 )
Speaking of refreshing drinks, I really like seltzer water. Water is great, too. There's nothing like a cold glass of nice water, but seltzer water is bubbly and fun! Also, you can have it so many flavors: like apple! =P

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 13:21:01 )
I miss having cotton candy at the town fair. Incidentally, there is an apple variety called Candy Crisp.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 13:21:53 )
I also really miss a coffee brand called Hills Brothers. I remember that this was the one my parents bought.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 14:37:22 )
My favorite pie is apple pie, of course. My recipe is fairly straightforward. Some sugar, some flour, some spice (cinnamon and nutmeg, cloves if you're daring), and a little water to mix it up into a pudding or a paste, some finely cut-up apples that are skinned, preferably a good baking apple like Rhode Island Greening, Calville blanc d'Hiver, or Reine des Reinettes, or just your standard Golden Delicious or Mutsu or Granny Smith. Best to avoid the watery varieties like Honeycrisp, I assure you! Just mix it all up and put it in your favorite pie crust recipe. I prefer butter crusts, no shortening. About forty minutes in the oven at 325 F and you have yourself the best apple pie ever.

Otherwise, I'm partial to pumpkin pie, but I've been making a sweet potato pie lately that I might like more than pumpkin pie. They're nearly the same anyway, but baking sweet potatoes is just easier than cutting up and gutting and baking sugar pumpkins. And they're available for most of the year here.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 14:58:24 )
My favorite candy bar is Three Musketeers and I'm told this makes me strange.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 15:27:40 )
I do eat some non-apple fruits, but I tend to like other Rosaceae plant fruits like strawberries, blackberries, pears, quinces, cloudberries, and rosehips (as a jam or something). I think I like pears the most besides apples. Pears are like the awkward little sisters of apples, you might say.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 16:34:08 )
I like to drink my coffee with whole milk and Splenda these days. I never used cream, but I used to use sugar until I stopped that habit. I can have it black, but I like the sweetness, and black coffee usually gives me heartburn!

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/7 22:31:19 )
Mozzarella sticks, now that's where it's at. I used to call them "temptation sticks" with my friends because, whenever we went out to eat, we'd always say that we wouldn't get them, and then we'd always end up getting them.

Temptation sticks are just what I need tonight.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/9 22:53:49 )
I am sooooooo hungry right now. I ate an apple today and a piece of toast, but that was like 8 hours ago. I want to eat, but my housemate's boyfriend is coming over, and they plan on ordering food, and I always get some with them.

I might get Chinese food tonight. I'm just in the mood for it.
It's just your friendly apple maiden!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.