Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Welcome Committee Just arrived!

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/12 15:05:57 )
@justice: Thank you very much! =D

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/13 20:31:05 )

@Mathonwy: Cause of the pandemic or did you move away? I used to have friends over a lot too. Now not so much.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/13 22:42:45 )
@totalanimefan: Kind of a combination of things. I moved away from a lot of my core friends some years ago, a lot of the work friends I made after that kind of fizzled out after a few years, and then I spent too much time cultivating a few very close online friendships that often fizzled out as well. Then there was the pandemic, and I was undergoing a lot of heavy treatments for the past couple of years. Next thing I knew, I was a lot older than I remember!

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/13 22:49:52 )

@Mathonwy: That's a lot. I guess it's kinda been that way for me too. I've moved a lot starting at college age so I've had to make new friends each time and I used to be a lot closer to my internet friends that I would see once a year at cons but some of them stopped coming so we have had to keep in touch other ways. It was hard after we all finished college and had random jobs or retail jobs and we were in different time zones. The pandemic obvs didn't help either, than you couldn't even seen your rl friends lol.
I'm making some new friends in DC. I moved here two years ago during the pandemic. I really love living here but I didn't have any friends or family here. I am a lot closer to my family since they live in FL and PA and before I was living in CA for 5 years.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/13 23:21:19 )
@totalanimefan: That's good to hear that you like where you are now! I like living where I do as well. I like the culture out here, the "vibe" if you will. I could probably go out and meet more people if I wanted to, but it's hard sometimes. Even when you meet people, everyone has different jobs, is available at different times, some have spouses and children and other responsibilities that make them less available even if you manage to forge friendships. Maybe at my age I shouldn't really be looking for people to "hang out with" on a regular basis anyway, so maybe that's on me for not growing up enough and keeping pace. I think if I had a boyfriend I'd be a lot less lonely.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/15 03:29:25 )

@Mathonwy: liking or disliking where you live is huge. I don’t think it’s something that people realize unless they move away.
I think there are social apps that can help you meet people with similar interests in your area. I think meetup.com is one but I thought I heard about another app too. That’s good cause you can find all kinds of hobbies there.

Donator — she/her/hers Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/15 13:11:27 )
@totalanimefan: I'm pretty hopeful that I'll make some new friends soon, or reconnect with some of my older ones. I was thinking of doing something old school like joining a bowling league (I'm not great at bowling though, just for fun), or a sportsman club to practice my archery, start a band or ensemble with some people, stuff like that. I know a lot of people from work and the community and stuff because I used to be quite involved in things before I got sick and before the pandemic mess. I know I can do that again if I just get myself up and take a few chances with people.
It's just your friendly apple maiden!

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/15 23:20:03 )

@Mathonwy: That would be fun. I'm sure there are other casual bowlers.
That sound like good opportunities to make some friends :)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.