Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/16 22:05:56 )
-+-[πŸ–€

So I have the displeasure of working at an Amazon facility. I've been with the company since late 2021 and I've been at two buildings. I've been at my current building for a year and a half. I used to work with my partner and my friend until April last year, then my friend quit because of some bs that happened (I'll get into it at some point I'm sure), but my partner is still working with me.

The kind of facility we work at is staffed in teams of at least 2 for each section in our department, and we've made it very clear that we want to be staffed together. We have been priveldge enough that our managers see how well we work together and how hard we work so they always schedule us together. I could not mentally handle with working with just anyone, especially some of the actually horrible people who're somehow still on payroll.

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/16 22:19:21 )
-+-[πŸ–€

No seriously. I know some abhorrent things about some of my coworkers and it's sickening being in the same building as those people.

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/16 22:31:33 )
-+-[πŸ–€

The reason it has been difficult to get hours is because of the shift code that we are on. We are on something called FlexRT- "Flexible Reduced Time." This means that instead of the 4 10's like the rest of the building, we are allowed to only work a minimum of 30 hours per week and we can pick our own shifts each week. They are in 5 hour increments, so if we wanted to work a "full day" we would select two 5 hour shifts back to back.

These shifts are available every week at 6pm for the following week. The amount of shifts available per 5 hour slots is all based on work load/volume. From January to May-ish is the slowest time of the year for work so there are less shifts available, meaning that some weeks we were only working 15 hours because that's all we could select before other Flex Associates got them.

When I tell you that by 6:03pm on shift drop day almost every shifts is gone (both day shift and night shift) I am not joking. It has been quite stressful because nowhere in this city will hire at the wage we're getting as the minimum wage in Florida is a measly $10. It was $8.56 when I moved here.

Finding another job would be a better option than worrying about a paycheck you'd think, but this type of shift code has worked in our favor for a few things over the past almost-year we've been on it so it's has been a struggle to just give it up. Believe me- we have been looking for another jobs since April last year but nothing has aligned right for what we need.

One of my most despised sentences I hear when I tell people at my job that I'm a Flex Associate is, "Oh you're on Flex? So you get to work whenever you want!"

No. If I could truly work WhEn I wAnT, my schedule would look a lot different each week.

I haven't had a steady week's schedule in m o n t h s.

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/16 22:43:52 )
-+-[πŸ–€

Every few months something financial seems to pop up, so any paychecks that would be a little bit of a buffer I end up using every penny of it and I just can't get ahead. Hopefully now it will be different as this past shift drop was far easier to get shifts that it has been.

My partner and I only want to work the same schedule as we carpool and it just makes sense. So we just pick whatever day shifts are available, take a breath, and then compare schedules. We then assess what we are doing in the coming week and drop any shifts tat we don't share/can't work.

It seems to be working thus far, thank God.

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/16 22:51:11 )
-+-[ πŸ–€quick thought

Second page already God damn

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 01:33:35 )
-+-[πŸ–€

While we're on the topic of Amazon...

We're looking at Portland to move to, maybe the outskirts or something. We'd have commutes but at least rent should in theory be cheaper going that route. Good thing about Portland though is that there is a facility that we can transfer to. The only problem with that is there's no way to put in a transfer now and then just hold our position until we find housing.

We spoke to one of our managers the other day about a time frame to get in contact with the new facility and he said 4-6 months out. Even then it's not guaranteed, and we can't apply for a hardship transfer either because neither of us have any family up that way. Plus reaching out to any site's HR is kind of a nightmare and there's really no direct line of communication a tier 1 Associate, like myself, has with those in that position. No phone number to call, no direct hiring manager- nothing.

Just more stress.

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 01:43:44 )
-+-[πŸ–€

Moving in general- especially that far, is technically a hardship. I wonder if we could put the request in anyway? I don't know, mayhaps. We have to follow up with that manager probably tomorrow so we can get more details on what kind of facility it actually is.

I'm not looking forward to talking to him though. When we went in last week for the moving conversation, he interrupted me three times and proceeded to explain my shift code to me, like I haven't endured being on it for a year now. Plus he didn't answer my question and danced around it seemingly like he didn't think I would understand the logistics of the answer I was looking for. So I may have accidentally got slightly snippy when I rephrased the question. Oops.

One thing I can't stand is getting talked over/ignored. Makes my blood boil.

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 01:50:25 )
-+-[πŸ–€

The reason I can't stand being talked over or ignored is because how my mom is. Something happened fundamentally or something to her and she has progressively gotten less and less of an internal monologue. She speak-thinks, which is fine, but she would often just talk and talk and interrupt me and in turn talk over me talking to her.

Sometimes she'd be talking for such a long time just to herself while doing the dishes and whatnot that I would tune it out, and then all of a sudden she would be upset that I didn't answer her out of nowhere. I never intentionally ignored her, but she would get so upset. Heaven forbid she did that to me though; I was always So DrAmAtIc and not understanding. Pff.

πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 01:53:31 )
-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

Not me changing posting format 3 times in one day lmao

-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 02:14:41 )
-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

Onwards and Upwards- Partner pursuing dream car.

So my partner's first car was a 2007 midnight blue Saturn Vue named Drake. They are obsessed with the Saturn brand, all makes and models (hell even the planet), even just got the planet tattooed on their wrist last Friday. They got in an accident with Drake they were devastated and they had to trade him in for the measly $500 he was worth at that point and now they drive a 2015 grey Ford Escape named Vindicator, or Vinny for short.

They miss their first car so much that recently they've been searching constantly for 2007 Saturn Vues online. They have contacted countless dealerships and local sellers and apparently Vues are a hot commodity right now so they are being snatched up left and right.

-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 02:26:40 )
-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

As mentioned previously in the yellow text, they just drove 5 hours to Georgia for a private seller and it turns out his listing showed the incorrect odometer reading, missing an entire zero. They don't want to purchase one above 99k miles but this car had 240k which just is a no go. Once they met the seller, it was a quick hop back in the car and straight back home. I feel terrible because there's nothing I can do for them but be supportive and give my opinions on listings.

I personally think they should wait to find one until after we move to Oregon because they only have about 70k miles on for Escape and it's in perfect condition. Who knows what history a 15 year old car will have, if it's even disclosed truthfully if they end up going through a private seller.

I don't want them to get scammed either. I know the most about cars between the three of us, but I don't know that much.

-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 02:36:25 )
-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

This is their hyperfixation for the time being and I really hope they either find one really soon for realize they deserve a break from the constant searching and chill out for a short time. I don't want them to get discouraged and more low. I worry about them so much and there's only so much that is within my power to do for them...

-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 02:45:01 )
-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

I've only had two cars in my life and they've both were bought from the same used car dealership in my home town. I have been with my brother for a couple of private vehicle sales though so I'm not completely void of knowledge on the process, but I am no expert.

-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

Voltie — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/17 03:49:13 )
-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-

They just got home and through tears they went right back to searching. I love them so much jfc

-+-[πŸ–€
πŸ–€]-+-
πŸ–€ she/her | blissfully taken | ping me for I am a forgetful creature πŸ–€

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.