Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums The Undercurrent Learning About Russia (and Beyond!)

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:33:15 )

Learning the Russian language is one thing, but it's also nice to learn about the country/countries that speak the language! I'm going to be keeping track of videos I watch and writing my thoughts/interesting things I learned. Most videos will be about Russia, but I'd also like to learn about other countries that speak Russian.

From Wikipedia:
"Russian (русский язык, tr. russkiy yazyk) is an East Slavic language native to Russia in Eastern Europe. It is a part of the Indo-European language family, and is one of four living East Slavic languages, and also part of the larger Balto-Slavic branch. Russian is an official language in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan, and is used widely as a lingua franca throughout Ukraine, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and to some extent in the Baltic states."

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:34:28 )

I'm going to watch through some videos from The Great War channel about Russia. To start with:
Russian Uniforms of WW1 I THE GREAT WAR Special

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:38:53 )

They mentioned фуражка (furazhka), a type of hat, in the video, which is a word I know! I think it came up in the grammar book I was using

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:43:22 )

Apparently they started out with good boots, and the German soldiers would replace their boots with the Russian ones if they could. Their boots later on weren't as nice though due to a shortage of leather among other things

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:46:29 )

Shovels doubled as frying pans. I never thought of that before, but I can see how that could work

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:50:29 )

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:54:17 )

The founder of the Romanov dynasty was Michael Romanov. He sent a representative to demand submission from the Cossacks. They threw the representative in the Don river in a sack

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 06:59:58 )

Peasants fled to the south and assimilated with the Tatars living there. So Cossacks were Orthodox Christian warrior horsemen of Slavic and East Asian descent.

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 07:02:16 )

They were democratic. Everyone, women included, had a vote, and they elected a leader who served for one year

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 07:05:43 )

Anyone could be a Cossack as long as they at least said they accepted the Orthodox Church. All property was communal and there was no hereditary elite

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 07:07:13 )

In the 17th and 18th centuries there were Russian wars against the Cossacks as well as Cossack rebellions

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 07:08:27 )

The Cossacks were defeated and they became part of the Russian Empire

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 07:10:57 )

In the 1905 Russian Revolution there were Cossack mutinies

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 07:12:54 )

Cossacks made up more than half of the Russian cavalry in WWI

Voltie — She/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/8 07:15:53 )

Tolstoy lived among the Cossacks when he was young, and he said what made a Cossack a Cossack was their love of freedom

★~~Questing~~★

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.