Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature The Handmaid's Tale

Donator — Trash Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/3 03:01:45 )
So, I finished this book a couple of weeks ago, so I've had some time to process it. I've never seen the show, and don't really plan to watch it, so I can't draw any parallels between them and if you do, you won't be spoiling anything for me.

Let me just say... This book wasn't what I expected. I don't like to read too much about a book's plot before reading the book because it will warp my initial impression. I knew the name and the general idea- a young-ish woman working for the upperclass during a time of patriarchy.

What I expected was a historical fiction along the same lines as The Help. What I got was a dystopian future controlled by a strictly religious society. Honestly, I didn't see that coming. Maybe I should have looked a LITTLE more into the plot, because... I didn't really like it.

The Handmaid's Tale is yet another first-person account of an alternate world from the perspective of a quiet, perceptive young woman. She's not exceptionally smart, pretty, or talented- she's just an ordinary person in an extreme reality (Katniss? Tris? Hell, even Bella?). This... I found to be pretty boring, unfortunately. Maybe it makes a great TV show, I'll never know, but this perspective isn't new.

It's a fascinating and surprisingly violent world (seriously, bodies are hanging from hooks around town as a warning to rebels) that we don't get to dive into because the narrator is too reserved. She doesn't take enough risks for us to really get the full experience. I found myself wishing it was narrated from Moira's or Ofglen's point of view. To see more of this world and how the characters interact with it and with each other- that's exciting! Instead, we get Offred, who somehow takes a religious dystopia and makes it bland.

And then, when something exciting finally happens- when she gets taken away by authorities who may either be the police or the rebellion- the book ends. What?? AND?? What happens? It's like if The Hunger Games was a book of just the first act and ends when Katniss volunteers as tribute. WHY would you end it there?

Sigh. I guess if a book filled with passive observations of an interesting world is your thing, then fine. I'd rather read something with a little more action.

Your thoughts?

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/5 09:05:39 )
I think I can't take this review seriously because the hunger games came out like four years ago and this book was written in 1984. I think it's a lousy comparison and I don't see you give any credit to Atwood for the feminist critique of modern society that the book really is.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.