Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Candlenights?

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/1 17:46:37 )
I know it's literally Nov 1 but I think I'm gonna go ahead and start decorating for the holidays cause why not. I've also been kicking around celebrating something besides Christmas and I keep coming back to Candlenights.

While yes, it is a bit silly, it is also very genuine in a way that a lot of the other "secular" Christmas alternatives are not. This bit in particular is what really gets me:

Username:
Candlenights starts and ends for each person at different times, is about different things for each person, and is celebrated differently by each person. People from all countries of all religions and those without religion alike can celebrate their own Candlenights in their own way.

Cause like, I don't want to give up celebrating Christmas traditions with my extended family, but I'm not christian or religious at all.

I also don't care about Thanksgiving or Black Friday so I can just nix those out of my traditions and start Candlenights Nov 1 lmao.

Donator — Any Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/1 18:20:38 )

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::
My bf and I just.. call it Yule. Since it was stolen from pagan religions anyway lmao.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/1 18:31:55 )
I've never heard of Candlenights, but I think holidays should be celebrated however you want to anyway, so I say go for it.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/1 19:05:11 )

What about Festivus?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/1 19:32:21 )
@milkshake: I did consider Yule, but I'm agnostic and not pagan so it didn't feel like the best fit

@Megaame: It's from the MBMBAM podcast. It was one of their goofs but now it's part of a live show and a fundraiser

@Totalanimefan: Nah. It's funny, but not the vibe I want around the holidays

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/1 20:38:08 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

I suppose if I were to do it like that I'd start in December
I don't like christmas/generally December holidays overtaking my birth month hey retail companies stop putting Christmas shit up in august

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/2 03:32:22 )
I also never ever want to celebrate Christmas as a family if I can help it (I'm not Christian, I hate that its a capitalistic scheme to boost sales during a certain time of year, but most of all because every holiday after Halloween marks a death in my family so boo to Thanksgiving too.) but I don't want my daughter to feel left out. I also know her extended family will want to shower her with gifts just as much as I will, though, so thats a tough one for me. I figure if I buffer it with enough fun other-holidays it will work out. My holidays of choice are: Wolfenoot and L33tmas.

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/2 21:20:55 )
@Kitalpha Hart: Maybe I'll wait till mid Nov, idk. I have a birthday that overlaps with labor day, I feel your pain. Retail puts them up that early to get the most money out it haha XP

@Glume: I'm agnostic and from a heavily christian family so like, I'm nostalgic for christmas. But I too also hate how commercialized it gets. I don't intend to have kids but I always imagined flipping the script so it focused more giving than getting. I very much remember the secondhand embarrassment at school every year after christmas when everyone had stand up and say what santa brought them. Even at that age it made my heart ache when kids would be like, "santa brought me clothes" (I've never heard of those two lol)
~Instagram! Twitter!~

A Big Ole Quest Thread

Ping me, I'm easily distracted

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/3 00:14:57 )
@Lilykin: Wolfenoot was a holiday invented by a 7 year old, and it took off across the internet. Its a November holiday focused on celebrating canines and those who love them. L33tmas was a holiday on the show Video Game High School where ypu celebrate every holiday at once. Its on September 17th, though, so I'll probably still need a December celebration...
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Any Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/3 01:58:35 )

@Megaame: oh yea thats totally cool. whatever is comfortable. the holiday sounds pretty cool lol.
celebrating things that are meaningful to you is always important~ and theres always alternatives :P

Please ping me!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.