Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk this year has been v intense for me; im facing homelessness

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/31 08:07:39 )
⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

this year i cut out my parents / left my abusers, started living with my partner and some roommates, then the roommates skedaddled - now me and my partner have been staying in this place not on the lease and not paying rent for months

the rental management company of the place im squatting in is calling the cops tomorrow apparently cause this is when the lease was supposed to be up
im hopin things end up alright but who knows, like im pretty sure theres still an eviction moratorium where i am due to COVID and ive looked at laws n shit trying to figure out what they could do to my partner & i

life is fckin crazy and I am Tired

anyways!! does anyone have any tips for when im eventually homeless / looking for another squat?
or have any stress relief ideas please and thank u

⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/31 11:59:58 )
I've heard of a thing called squatters rights, and I don't know much more about them than the fact that they exist... but I figured I'd throw it out there. I also don't know how many people would be swayed by sympathy, but have you told the management that you just got out of an abusive situation and need a bit of time to get on your feet? I have my doubts about landlords having any sort of heart, but perhaps its worth a shot..
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/31 17:43:28 )
⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

@Glume: i've had issues with this company before, theyre huge assholes and dont even do things legally. but we told them via text that my partner and i are both disabled and sheltering in place during COVID so if it gets taken to courts we have documentation and hopefully pity from judges/jury
me and my partner have been looking into squatters rights and trying to understand it, thank u for mentioning it tho! a lot of people dont know about squatters rights

⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/31 18:46:56 )
⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

im literally waiting for the cops to knock on my door and then watch them leave
im so fckin anxious

⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/31 20:27:28 )
⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

@Bioshock: yeah im hoping that they'll at least give us 30 days, ive been reading on the ejectment process of squatters too since they cant prove we broke in and we have a key to the place. im in oregon n trying to read up on as many laws as i can, and about like... other instances of squatters in my city and what happened with them

im trying to prepare myself for the worst situation just incase, we have everything locked and the locks changed... im trying to reach out to friends to see if they could take any of my stuff and i have some friends who are already gonna take in my cat..... shits just scary

i'm pretty sure theres still an eviction moratorium in place here too so i Think i'll be okay for now, just gotta prepare to leave asap

⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/1 21:34:52 )
⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

hey update!

the cops didnt show up, so im assuming they legally cant do anything as of right now
AND my partner and i got in contact with some activists who have more knowledge on squatting & our legal rights
so im feeling better as of right now

if anything changes ill post in this thread about it

⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/13 23:25:28 )
⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

so the rental agency put a notice on our door saying we have until the 17th to vacate...
we got in contact w a lawyer who said that there arent squatting rights in oregon and that the moratorium doesnt include us - which is horrible and extremely fucked up - so theres nothing they could do to help us

the moratorium on sweeps ended too so i'm like no matter where we go its gonna be illegal

i'm trying to move most of my important/personal items out to give to some friends and getting my cat out of here
and then just maybe staying until they make us leave

but alsooooo neither me nor my partner want to be arrested :?

⇜┈┈┈┈┈┈ ∘ ꕥ ∘ ┈┈┈┈┈┈⇝

pm me if u wanna donate 2 my living funds

┋ 𝐕𝐄𝐒𝐒 ┋ 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱 ┋ 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ┋
questinghangoutgallery

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.