Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature Which book(s) had a significant impact on you?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 08:35:23 )
[Locked due to 6+ months of inactivity! If you'd like this thread unlocked to revive, bplease don't hesitate to PM a mod, or submit a support ticket. Thanks!]

Why was that? Where and when did you read it?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 08:49:56 )

@Bioshock: Yeah HP is a really big one for me. Also Series of Unfortunate Events.
But then one off books like Maniac Magee which is about racism. Oh and Remembering the Stars. That was about the Holocaust. I read all of those books in elementary school and the series into middle school and high school when they were released.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 11:04:25 )

The Thief of Always
Got so many memories of my Mom with that.

And the Sword of Truth Series.
(That may be just because Richard and Kahlan are fucking win. I love the story. Too bad the show failed DX)

♯ And I wonder what you've done to me || I've lost all my ability to think logically || I know I've never felt this way before || Like someone pushed me through a door || And there's no turning back ♯
My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 11:29:54 )
Stephen kings - pet cemetary
It was the first book i ever read! I read it with 12 years
My dad gave it to me xD i think my mom didnt know about the story because she didnt take it away from me xD i read it on our vacation in greece and from that Time on i love to read! Now i mostly read crime. This year i read 31 books so far.
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 18:12:47 )

@Bioshock: try your library or ebook?
Now there is a Netflix series which is very good but I still recommend reading the books first.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 22:06:55 )
the clarice bean chapter books, i still love them and will re-read them once in a while
Hangout: https://www.voltra.us/forum/view_topic/8610

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/23 03:49:54 )
Most recently, "Genderqueer" by Maia Kobabe. I saw a lot of myself in it, and it's in comic form which was cool.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 12:24:33 )
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

I hardly read non-fiction books for fun but this book was highly recommended so I decided to check it out. I'm so glad I did, it's changed my thinking for the better.

I'm an introvert who has lived thinking that I won't be able to succeed in my career if I didn't act like an introvert. But this book showed me the good points of just being who I am and listed the achievements of famous introverts in history. They didn't need to be extroverts to accomplish great things, they only needed to stay true to themselves.

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/16 19:38:10 )

As much as I love books, I was never a huge reader - wasn't someone to read outside of school much - my main hobbies were drawing and video games.

However, I really loved a Series of Unfortunate Events. I think this series may have sparked my imagination and fascination with the macabre.

And concurrently my all time favorite series was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Still is. Made me the snarky, pun and humor loving person I am today.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/16 19:49:21 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Harry Potter is prolly the biggest one. We moved when I was younger, and we were without cable and a lot of other things until the house got set up, so I would just spend the time reading the books that were out at the time.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is another. My 7th grade advanced English teacher would read it to us, and at first we were like LOL WE’RE TOO OLD TO BE READ TO, but we all shut up and begged for more after the first reading session.

Others that I haven’t seen mentioned is Howl’s Moving Castle series. The Miyazaki film adaptation is trash compared to the book for soooo many reasons.
No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai was another one that shook me as someone who is struggling with depression.
And literally anything from Oscar Wilde. That man was my gay soul mate. uwu

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/17 02:32:36 )
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Not particularly because of the story/plot, but because it completely changed my view on just how innovative and unique an author can get while writing. The way he broke and reformatted everything I thought I knew about literature and creates an entire adventure within an adventure. I’ve never read another book like it.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/28 08:31:54 )
Lirael, its the book following Sabriel, another favorite. But Lirael I related to more deeply than I did Sabriel.

Lirael felt out of place, inept, wrong, uncertain, curious and yet also afraid, and then brave. It allowed me to explore emotions I (at the time cuz I was just barely a teenager) didn't quite have the words for yet.

Voltie — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/1 17:08:59 )
'Clan of the cavebear' and the rest of the books in the series.
I read it many years ago, and I've re-read the series more times than I can count despite the books being suuuper thick.

It just amazes me that no matter what hardships Ayla faces, she always comes out stronger and wiser. She faces so much shit, and despite sometimes being shit-scared, she tackles any challenge in her own way.

I read it when I was at a time in my life where most of the protagnoists in the books I'd read were male, and she came along like rain on a dry spot.
I've always wanted to lift a large quadraped over my head

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/2 23:19:31 )
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan had a major impact on me, as did The Keys to the Kingdom Series by Garth Nix. I also dig murder mysteries. Old, new, a good whodunit is mesmerizing to me.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 01:10:25 )
oh deer...

The Princess Bride by William Goldman. It's funny, it's meta and one of my favorite books. I have read it so many times my copy is falling apart. It taught me that some books are worth re-reading. The book also means a lot to me because of how I acquired it. I won it in a raffle at a father-daughter dance when I was little and my dad I both love the movie version. I will forever think of him when I read it.

@Xanthan: I am reading through WoT right now.
I'm almost done with the fourth book. I wish I had read it sooner.

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 04:08:18 )
@Erebus: if ever you wanna discuss it hit me up. I have complete copies and audio books. Been reading it aince the 90s lol

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 04:37:52 )
oh deer...

@Xanthan: I have considered starting a discussion thread on here. I have been listening to audiobooks at night. Haha. I listen to the book previous to the one I'm reading to sleep at night and so I can remember more of the little details from book to book.

Have you read Piers Anthony's Xanth series or is your name a coincidence? I read the first 12 or so of those in high school.

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 05:57:41 )
@Erebus: I go to bed with them playing as well lol. Xanthan isn't from Piers. It was a name I picked up from cooking tbh. I used to cook all the time for fun for functions for just about anything or any reason lol I'd definitely contribute to a Wot forum thread.
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 06:15:12 )
I gotta go with House of Leaves too. Just... not only is the book completely different from anything else, but the descriptions of everything is also incredible. Both a mindfuck and leaves you with a sense of fulfillment in your heart.

and I'd also say the Pretty Little Liars series. significantly better than any other sort of murder mysteries I've read. plus, I just love any sort of story that revolves around a tight friendship? Just like The Raven Cycle, Six of Crows, the Foxhole Court, or anything else like that. amazing books.

Ping me!

Hangout

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.