Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Wanted Suggestions For Something

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 20:13:50 )
I have a friend who is really passionate about religion. Now, I have no problem with religion, I just don't like it being pushed on me. I'm simply not interested. He means well, but lately, all he ever talks about when I'm around is religion and constantly gives unsolicited advice. I've told him before that I'm not interested and that there are other things he can talk about with me. However, my words seem to not reach him and he continues giving the unwanted advice. So my question is, is there any way I can get him to finally understand things from my point of view and cease from giving the advice? I don't want to be rude to him, but I'm just lost as to what way I can get him to understand.

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 20:42:03 )
@LordLucre: try talk to him about things he isnt intristed in. Than if he say something about just tell him its the same for you if he talks about Religion with you. Sometimes it works pretty well that way

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 20:42:57 )
I make this with my Bf all the Time xD

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 20:47:30 )
@Miss Sandman: Might as well give him a taste of his own medicine, as people say.

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 20:49:35 )
@LordLucre: yes :) if he didnt understand after this iam sure he wants to get you in his Religion

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 20:54:02 )
@Miss Sandman: Which won't happen, no matter how hard he tries.

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 20:57:00 )
@LordLucre: if someone would try with me i would abadon this person..... but i really dislike Religion and religious stuff
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 21:10:01 )
@Miss Sandman: I tolerate up to a certain point. When I reach my limit, I'm gone.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 21:26:20 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

I second the talk to him about stuff he doesn't like thing
And if he can't get it after that, he's not worth keeping around

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/12 22:14:11 )

Well, it depends on how it's being used. If they're being pushy about you joining their religion they can get wrecked, but if they're just using religious terms in their day to day try considering the intent behind them and translate them yourself to something more acceptable.

Ex.
God bless you -> I hope good things happen to you
I am thankful to God -> I am appreciative of the situation I am in

Basically judge their words based on their intent. Not the stigma surrounding them. Now that's not to say some people don't use them to BE pushy, but I would imagine that's more of a case by case basis. If they're you're friend you should be able to gauge whether or not they're sincere.

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 00:03:56 )
@Priestess of Pie: Phrases like the ones you mentioned, I'm fine with. People around here say that a lot, so I'm okay with it. The thing with him is that he's trying to convert me to his religion(something called The Old Path) and cannot seem to respect the fact that I've said that I am not interested.

@Bioshock: I gave him the ultimatum. He's not a bad person, but he seems incapable of respecting people's boundaries when it comes to that and I have enough people in my life who give me crap for my spiritual life. I don't need another one.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 00:06:18 )

@LordLucre: Ah, that's unfortunate. You may just have to enforce the ultimatum then. =( If they don't know how to respect people's boundaries it's likely they've not had enough people actually enact consequences.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 00:08:48 )
@Priestess of Pie: Seems like it. I wish him the best, but I just won't be part of his life anymore.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/14 23:08:32 )
I'm entering the topic late, but for whatever it's worth, if things are really as bad as you've said and this person does not respect your wishes or your boundaries after you've made them clear, then I fully support your decision to give him the ultimatum "shut up or go somewhere else". Good luck with whatever repercussions may come your way from your "friend". It's a hard thing to do, sometimes, but ultimately it's the best thing...

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/16 00:11:32 )
@Wildfire: I've cut him off. I tried one last time, but he still wouldn't listen, so he's out.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/16 02:13:46 )
@LordLucre: congratulations & good luck. Are there any immediate repercussions?

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/16 02:38:37 )
@Wildfire: Not that I've seen.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/17 15:15:44 )
@LordLucre: Good. How are you doing? I know it can be tough, taking that "final" step in situations like this

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/17 15:23:14 )
@Wildfire: I'm good. Been trying to keep myself busy.
Lucifer's Pet

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/17 20:40:15 )
@LordLucre: Oh good! I'm glad :)
┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.