Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Shark's Hangout

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/12 06:28:12 )
════════════════ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

yes! i was watching some nature documentaries earlier this month and different species have such specific rituals and dances
like bowerbird nests, or like birds of paradise will clean before they dance, and manakin birds do a dance with 3 backup dancers lol
it's soo cool and interesting! and they're so cute lol
i can't recognize them by sound yet tho :0

and oh cool :-D i'll have to look out for those
i noticed that birds come out at 5 am here, honestly pretty close to the dot (uhh not that i'm awake then or anything >__>)
how do you learn about birds?? i feel like there's so much i don't know and idk how ppl figure these things out :0

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ══════════════════════════════

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/14 05:23:19 )
birds are freakin incredible...

sometimes I hear birds awake at 3 am and I don't understand how x_x the sun is nowhere in sight!

I get most of my information from allaboutbirds.org
Like one bird at a time. Just accumulating info over time.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/14 05:55:18 )
════════════════════════════════ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

agree ^^
i guess maybe some birds are nocturnal??
i also sometimes think about whether climate change is changing their habits

this is great thanks for the birds website lol ^^
i'm so impressed by ppl who can id birds :0
i have this one friend i used to send pictures of bird i see while out and she would just know :0

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/14 07:24:54 )
swallows are supposed to wake up at sunrise, but they seem to get up quite a bit earlier. there are a bunch that have nests along the apartment roofs here. they have the cutest little squeaky kissy noises.

yeah climate change is probably affecting them greatly... :(

a lot of IDs are tricky. theres this one bird I've seen here twice to eat seeds, and I'm still not sure what it is. D:

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/14 07:33:49 )

oohh! i've never id'd the bird sounds before, i'm not even really sure how since searching for a bird sound isn't very easy ?
do you figure it out from watching and hearing them make the sound?

i haven't seen to many of them around, i had to look up what swallows look like and ugh i just love looking at bird pictures lol

last year when i still went ouside lol i would see a lot of sparrows and starlings!
i think starlings are invasive but oh gee are they really pretty lol

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════════════

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 02:58:11 )
yeah trying to find what goes TWEET TWEET TWEET doesn't really do much. xD; but listening to the sounds on videos helps if you have a general idea of what the bird could be.

yaa tree swallows have the prettiest shine! we have a bunch of those here this year.

starlings are very pretty too. o: I love how they make the funniest kind of angry duck sound, and also have the most beautiful songs. There's also I video I saw recently of a guy who has a pet starling that mimics what he says! It's both adorable and creepy. xD

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 03:10:09 )

ooh what kinds of videos?? i had a friend who was working on a project classifying bird sounds, i wonder how that went now lol
at first i was just like oh that's interesting and fun but now i'm like i see how that would be very useful!!

oh my gosh i didn't know they made duck sounds lol and i didn't realize they could do mimicry like that!! lol i'm looking up starling videos on youtube now ...
if you have a link to the video i would be interested in seeing it!! lol
and like i wonder what they're saying, it's just so cool to think about how they're communicating ^^ and what are they screaming about at 5 am lol

btw i hope you had a good birthday yesterday! ^^

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 03:33:09 )
ahh anywhere really. o: there's this tumblr blog I follow called ostdrossel, and they post a lot of great photos and videos! and I also follow this channel on youtube that posts videos of birds https://www.youtube.com/user/Woodfibrebirder

there's a ton of youtube channels like that, but I liked that one since it has birds that are more local to my area. :p

and here's the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DE29KFIEqw

I heard a swallow chirp at 11:40 PM last night above my window xD I wonder what woke it up.

thank you thank you! It was fine, I just wish I wasn't in so much pain.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 04:09:11 )

oh my gosh this is the exact kind of content i want in my life tysm for sharing!!! * sob * lol i just watched a bunch of woodfibrebirder videos
if there are other channels you follow and feel inclined to share i would love to subscribe to them!!! whenever i try to look for bird videos on youtube (i.e. searching "bird videos") it's always like clickbaity ~ funny/cute compilations ~ (which i still enjoy a lot don't get me wrong lol) but videos of animals in nature is what i actually want!!!!

lol @ the starling vid! i guess when you have such a wide range of sounds you can make and grow up around / hearing humans, it makes sense you would replicate the sounds humans make

oof sometimes i'm overwhelmed by how cute some birds are if i could pet a bird my heart would sing with joy

aw i'm sorry to hear you're in pain <3 is it chronic or did something happen? (if that's ok to ask)

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/19 02:09:06 )
I'm glad you like it! :D
I think I just searched for a certain type of bird and found that page. Looking up what the most common birds are in your area, and then picking one of em will probably get some good results for nature videos. o:

I would love a crow friend. But they always fly away from me. xD even if I throw peanuts for them...

yeah it's a chronic issue. :( Lots of pain at all times and nothing really helps.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/19 05:18:50 )

i love it ^^ i've been trying to find these kinds of videos but i don't usually know enough specifics to get there
i feel like with the way youtube is set up - if you already know the specifics you can end up in the niche you're looking for (e.g. searching for "dark eyed junco" or "white faced ibis" - examples from the channel) but just searching for "bird videos" isn't gonna get you there ...
and that's good advice, i'll have to give it a try!

haha i don't think i've been that close to a crow ... but i definitely see them and always try to take pictures of them lol corvids are just so ~ cool ~

ah i feel, i'm sorry to hear that :-(
i have chronic pain too, it might not be the same as yours but i get the part where it's all the time / it's sticking around
hope you can find some relief in the meanwhile!

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 06:01:47 )
yeah I rarely search for anything on youtube unless I know specifically what I'm looking for xD so I don't think I've seen how hard it is.

I have a couple pictures of them too :) If I had a nice camera I'd be taking so many pictures of birds. As it is now, I can only really take pictures if they're close enough.

Thank you >_< I'm sorry you also have to deal with it. hopefully it's manageable ^^;

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 06:10:24 )

ooh i wouldn't mind being a bird photographer lol
have you ever been bird watching?
i'm not sure how to get into it but i feel like i would enjoy it!

and thank you ^^
how have you been lately?

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 20:52:00 )
idk what even qualifies as bird watching? xD whenever I am outside, I just naturally look at my surroundings and see birds.

i'm ok, hanging in there as best as I can. .-.

There's been these auto insurance people that won't leave me alone. I don't have a license or a car, so like... come on. I have blocked like 5 of their numbers, but they keep calling and texting on different numbers, so I can't block them all. They're not even calling for me, somebody else gave them the wrong number. -_-

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 22:32:52 )

oh true lol ^^
i guess i just picture the whole, woods excursion w binoculars lol

sending my support <3

and that sounds awful, i would be so irritated :-/
that sounds like so much too, like calls And Texts and multiple numbers
i usually keep my phone on silent and ignore calls by default unless i know who it is :-/

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 21:16:49 )
ah yeah binoculars makes sense o: I don't have any of those. That would be cool to get. Then it would be easier to see the small birds around here like Brown Creepers! I remember the first time seeing them and I was so surprised I even noticed them. xD like bark moving on a tree.

yeah idk why they haven't given up yet. >_< I told them to stop calling me. lol.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/26 03:05:46 )

aww ^^ i hadn't heard of brown creepers but i looked them up and they look so small and adorable!!
i had a friend who would just have binoculars on him, i never asked why Lol but sometimes we would use it to look at the moon!! would recommend :3
i've been listening more for bird sounds lately but i can never see them, only hear them ... there aren't that many trees around here, esp around my apt

how's ur weekend going?
i started a new book today and it's really good ^^ and made some banana bread to eat as breakfast this coming week :9

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/26 04:41:47 )
one of my favorite hidden birds. lol.

ohh looking at the moon is great. I always look at it when it's visible, and I'm like, damn.... wish it were bigger. xD I love when it's like, noticeably massive.
sometimes it's kind of eerie o: like it's headed straight for us...

yeah lately the birds have been keeping to their own. I guess the babies aren't as hungry now?

my week has been... so-so. I've been so stressed today because of how awful I feel and how awful my mom feels.

a new book! what is it about? :D I haven't read in a couple years, but I love reading. and banana bread sounds fantastic!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/26 15:29:13 )

yes i love looking at the moon!!!! the binocular friend i don't actually talk to that much lol but our text messages are exclusively moon pictures we send back and forth lol
i can see the moon from my kitchen/bathroom window most nights and it gets pretty bright! one time i showered w the lights off cuz of the moonlight and it was really nice :-)
the idea that it's headed for us is fun :0 ! it's gonna give us a little kiss lol

and i'm sorry to hear that :-( i hope yall can feel better, it sounds like things have been rough
i'm here for you if you want to vent or talk or anything!

the book is called the city we became by nk jemisin! it's urban fantasy, i've just started and it's so imaginative, i love her writing
what kinds of stuff do you usually like to read?

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/27 02:51:34 )
hah that's so cute!
oh man I wish my bathroom had a window, but it's completely closed off. Sucks when the power goes out. xD

thanks, idk what the hell to do about it. It's so bad. .-. I need to see a doctor, but i'm nervous about the covid stuff

ohhh that sounds like something I'd like. Most of my favorites are fantasy and mystery stuff o: Daughter of Smoke & Bone, The Raven Cycle, Six of Crows, House of Leaves...

Ping me!

Hangout

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.