Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat My mouse lost a fight.

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 03:23:13 )

My outgoing Marmalade picked a fight with his cage mate of almost a year and lost.
It was my fault for over cleaning their cage. I was rushing and I should have taken more care.
I will miss my Marm boy :c

When I bought them I didn't research properly and from owning rats I knew they shouldn't be kept alone, I didn't know that males can fight violently for dominance. It's not ALWAYS the case, but more often than not.
I had them for almost a full year, balancing their habitat to keep their fighting to a minimum. I JUST remarked on how well they were doing and then I made a huge mistake. I know they're just mice. But. Man. Marmalade was so daring and lovely and had started to crawl into my hand on his own.

This video was LITERALLY from yesterday.

PSA to anyone thinking about owning mice. Only buy female mice and buy them in pairs.
If you have/know someone with, a pair of male mice NEVER completely clean the cage. Even if the mice seem like best buds.

Voltie — they/he Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 03:54:27 )
augh, oh no im sorry :( its really hard sometimes to know if an animals instincts will lead to that kind of aggression when they seem to be making progress.

when my rabbit was younger a roomie of mine went out and purchased another rabbit on impulse and we sorta tried to bond them, only finding out during the process that unspayed females can get really aggressive and territorial...so she would often attack him for going near her cage or during the dominance stuff. it was really scary having to break them apart like that and finding she had torn out his fur. the night after she was spayed, she died from complications, most likely due to an internal defect that might have been causing her a lot of pain leading up to it. ive always wondered if that didnt cause some of her hormones and aggression, and if there was something we couldve done about it early on had we known better. ive since learned more on how to read rabbit body language for pain, but thats something that breaks my heart still.

i guess my take away from that is our intentions were the best and we do better going forward even though we really regret some things. try not to beat urself up about it...but i know its really hard to lose a pet like that and feel at fault, plus you just miss your little guy. maybe this is a little silly to say, but i dont think he would blame you...he just knew your love.

is the other mouse okay? will he need a new cage mate? i dont know much about mice myself, just the gist that its similar to rats or rabbits that theyre better off in bonded pairs.

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 04:11:25 )

@Bioshock:
Prey animals are so hard to read for pain. They instinctively want to hide it. Even dogs and cats, especially, will try to hide it sometimes.
It would make a lot of sense if pain was making her more aggressive, I'm sorry you had to find out that way :c

I think the route to go is to let him live out his life on his own. I'll try to handle him more, but he was always more skittish.

I didn't even realize it right away, but this totally brought up old trauma I never dealt with surrounding pets.
*deep sigh* I gotta find a movie to watch or something.

Voltie — they/he Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 05:01:50 )
@koneko: that is so true about prey animals hiding pain. theyre really good at it even if you know what to look for

hopefully he opens up and feels a bit more comfortable with you then. and yeah, treat yourself to something nice. thats a lot to go through.

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 05:39:44 )

@bioshock: I'll have to give him some extra treats and stuff.
Glad I have plans tomorrow so I won't just be sitting at home.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 06:24:55 )

@koneko: I’m so sorry that happened! I want you to know that it’s not all your fault. Animals can turn at any time. They could have fought next week and had the same outcome. It’s easy for us to blame ourselves but that’s not always the case.
Also you have nice hands.

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 06:39:02 )

@totalanimefan: it just caught me so off guard, I hadn't heard them fight in ages :c

And thank you? I never paid much attention to my hands ^ ^".

◑‿◑

Donator — She/her Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 16:02:11 )

@koneko: yes of course. And I know you are going through a lot of pain. I would be too. :(
They are nice. I used to have nice hands too but now I have a few scars on them from dog bites and falling off bikes.

By Ghost
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — f Posted 4 months ago ( 2019/08/15 16:04:23 )
    Oh no I'm really sorry :( he looked like a sweet boy.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.