Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Help an aspiring artist?

Donator — Any Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/13 06:20:23 )
Okay, so I started out in the typical anime style. I didnt study anatomy (lmao rip i even had an anatomy class junior year HOW DID I PASS) and I still have very stiff unnatural posing and flow. I want to fix this desperately and I am aware it will require serious time and determination. I want my style to be more semi-real with a slight cartoonish feel, but first I think I should start with understanding basic anatomy. So, any books / videos / websites / tips, etc that you guys can suggest? I really love to draw and I spend hours watching others or looking at sketch books and I am so envious. Arts been a passion of mine that I let go because I was frightened by all the work it really does take to improve.

please help.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/13 06:58:49 )

Batsy Says. . .

The #1 best study and I hear this from literally every artist I watch from youtube, instagram, etc Is to study from Real Life.
Photos tend to flatten the actual image. So it's best to have or carry a sketchbook.
I usually carry a small sketchbook. It can be hard to draw in public, but it's honestly extremely helpful.

You don't neccesarily have to go out in public to sketch or draw from real life. You can even draw what is around you, what's in your room etc.

For sites I recommend a pose generator. They usually have timers on them. But the one I use you can change the timer for how long till the next pose.
As well as filter what kind of poses you want to draw.

http://www.senshistock.com

Donator — Trash Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/13 23:56:34 )
You could always sell your soul like I did.

The long way is to just keep practicing. You can watch all the youtube videos you like but no amount of it will help that muscle memory.

There's no tricks. No shortcuts. No secrets. Just draw. You like drawing anime? Draw it. Don't even sweat the details- just get the general pose down. Have fun with it. Sketch different angles, action, entire scenes. You can use any references you like. Doesn't matter. Just draw.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/14 00:45:36 )
@milkdaddy: The cure for stiffness is gesture drawings. Really quick flowing lines in a really short time. Real life can help this cos real people move around alot and it's hard to catch them still for long. You also are forced to memorize what you see which helps practice your visual recall. For anatomy there are books like Andrew Loomis's books and Bridgman's guide to drawing from life. Good luck on your artistic journey. Don't give up and don't forget to have fun

Donator — Any Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/14 03:29:39 )
Thank you guys!
Carrying a sketchbook around sounds like a really good idea, ill def b doing that
Please ping me!

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/14 03:36:22 )

Batsy Says. . .

Also for youtube I say look for an artist by JelArts because she does both medias but
She gives out really helpful tips for beginners overall.

As well as KNKL. He has a boot camp type of video series
and teaches more about anatomy on some videos.

Hope it helps.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/14 08:23:59 )
@milkdaddy: I forgot to mention Proko on youtube. He goes through the entire body in chapters so you can focus on small areas at a time. He also gives homework and exercises. So a very good classroom experience imo

Always ping me please.

Voltie — He/Him/His Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/23 07:18:35 )
Just keep drawing. I'm by no means an expert and I definitely haven't quite gotten realism or anatomy down just yet, but every drawing you make is a learning experience. Every time you erase and begin again, you've learned something. I know I'm a month late on this one but don't give up and don't feel like a cartoonish or anime-like style is inferior to a more realistic style. You are definitely allowed to draw in both styles.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/23 21:28:22 )
Thats what I really struggle with as well.. The bodies!
I found how I've been slowly improving is drawing from references, realist and anime references. Plus seeing there style of shading and ect has helping me grow my own style more.

Just chillin'

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.