Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat January in Review

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/30 16:29:23 )

Hi all,

The first month of 2023 has basically come to a finish. What was something you accomplished or feel good about in January? What did you get through?
Was your January good or bad? Are you looking forward to February?

Please tell us about your January.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/30 16:39:15 )

For me I started my new job! First job I’ve had since late 2020 (in 2021 and 2022 I was a student). I’m both happy to be working again but also feeling the stress of working full time. And the pay is pretty good too.

I also went to Magfest which was fun and I didn’t get sick unlike last time I went. (Yay)

I attended some therapy sessions and I’m feeling good about that.

I also worked towards moving into my new condo, trying to get a set date, organizing my stuff, speaking to a mortgage broker, but it wasn’t all positive. I found out the dates got pushed back and now it could be April or May and I only have my lease until March. Good news is that this place I’m renting are letting me to month to month. Bad news is that’s very expensive lol. Oh and the mortgage rates are still high. Ugh money stress.

I’m stressed from work and sometimes wonder if I can do this, but I think once I’m done with training I can. I was also worried about getting Covid this month but I did manage to stay healthy. ^^

The most positive thing that happened to me was I attended a friend’s party were everyone was a native speaker of Japanese or was learning Japanese so I got to listen and speak in Japanese. It was so my fun to actually have speakers to talk to instead of just my studies. I feel like I haven’t been that happy in a public setting since 2019. It’s like oh this is what it’s like to be able to fully enjoy a hobby.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/30 20:02:46 )
I don't have the mental or emotional bandwidth to talk about January right now, tbh... there is a lot going on -and there has been a lot going on since... oh... forever...

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/30 21:52:50 )

@Wildfire: that’s totally valid. I hope things get better for you.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/30 22:13:33 )

So... January is a whirlwind. So much happened and it felt like it went by so fast.
I found out my grandpa only has a year or two left.
I had some issues with co-workers at work.
Also, I got a new computer which is very nice and I get to play games.
My husband pre-ordered Hogwarts for me which is also very nice.

I say that all in all it was a mixed month xD
A lot of other stuff happened but those are the prominent ones.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/30 23:16:40 )
@Totalanimefan: Thanks. Things aren't bad, necessarily (although there have been some close calls)... mostly things are just hectic. There seems to always be a monkey wrench of one kind or another flying at my head lately...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/31 02:04:19 )

@Wildfire: yeah it’s like a scale on 1-10 of how bad it’s been and it’s not like a 9 but you are still valid for complaining and wishing it was easier.

@MimikyuToo: seems like mixed is a good way to describe it. It seems like you had lots of ups and downs. And I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/31 02:33:46 )

@Totalanimefan: Hahaha, tis life I suppose. And thank you. I haven't really processed it all yet if I'm being honest.
Hangout || Questing
Please ping me if I don't reply.

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/31 16:50:27 )

My January coulda been better, but it also coulda been worse. It was very middle of the road, I guess? It was extremely hard, too, though. A lot of emotional and mental health issues were brought to the forefront and I'm trying to deal with them properly. I feel really good about getting back to work, but I'm hoping in February I can figure out what a good work/life balance looks like for me, and achieve it. I want to switch careers, and maybe do more wfh data entry, transcription type of stuff.

I also got back into sewing and baking! Last year I was in this teeennny tinnnny apartment, that had super thin walls, and an even tinier kitchen. So I couldn't really bake or do much there. But, this year, I have a normal sized kitchen! And it's open to my living room! So I can hang out now yaaayy. It's nice having a normal sized kitchen man. So. Nice.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/31 17:49:09 )
January went by quick for me. Spent most of it doing PT to strenghen my leg and to hopefully loosen my muscles up. Got a lot more coming, my goal is by the time PT is finished is to be able to walk up a curb or a step again. I've been hanging out around my apt and am happy because I am actully doing things like helping SO and son keep the place clean. Went to SO's Holiday party and that was fun... it felt good to get out a bit other than doctor appts. My computer is on it's last leg and I'm not to pleased about that... but as long as it works for now I am grateful... just missing playing some games(can't update the graphics driver anymore and most of my games are telling me too.) Plus the games I can play make my computer sound like it's dying inside, lol. I could play on the other computer, but that is mainly for pictures and music and I can't update the driver there either, and Witcher 3 ever since the update likes to lag and freeze. So... that is basically it for me.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/31 21:03:45 )
    Congratulations on the job; it's very exciting to hear that you're enjoying yourself and moving forward. And best of luck with your housing situation; hopefully the financial issues aren't too draining.

This past January for me was fine. As I enter February, I'm getting a bit more stressed and feel a lot of helplessness but that's par for the course. I'm looking forward to being finished with studies for the last time, but even if I don't pass, I think this will be the end of it for me.

I'm looking forward to finding some employment at the end of February, and maybe finally taking a genuine breather without all of this looming over me. I feel like I'm in a bit of a limbo and just sort of tumbling around in a dryer. I did have some amazing hotpot a week or two ago and I look forward to enjoying it again with my partner.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/1 20:20:45 )

Qiqi Agatha:
[color=green] Thank you @Totalanimefan: , I'm feeling a lot better. 2023, is starting out a little rough.
How are you doing and liking your new job?
I thought that I would reply to you here, since. this thread is more on topic. ^^ You can also make your own reply to the first post if you want.
Anyway, that's really good! I have a good feeling about 2023. Not sure why. The job is going well, yesterday I did my first audit! Yay. I'm not fully on my own yet though. I have to still get all my work checked.

@Fellowsheep: I liked what you had to say. I liked that you mentioned the good and bad cause life is like a balance of that. I should also try to have a better work/life balance too. I just started a new job in Jan, so I've been putting a lot of time and effort into that and been thinking about it a lot even outside of work. It's so nice to have a normal sized kitchen. Mine is on the small side which makes me not want to cook as much. I'm moving into a new place in the spring and it's also going to have a bigger kitchen. You will have to post all of the goodies that you bake!

@macsen191: Do you think you are better now than you were at the beginning of the month? How much to go on the PT? [/color]

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/1 20:24:00 )

@blue: Thank you! The rates seem to be going down week by week so by the time we need to lock in a rate in the spring it should be less? Who can say. My husband and I are also lucky to have good credit. It's nice to be able to work again. I think something like this position is something I wouldn't mind doing for a while.
If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying? Hotpot is amazing and this is totally the right time of year for it too! I hope that you are able to find work soon. It's freaking more stressful looking for work than it is actually working.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/2 14:16:42 )
Totalanimefan:

@macsen191: Do you think you are better now than you were at the beginning of the month? How much to go on the PT? [/color][/size][/font]

@totalanimefan: My leg is getting a bit stonger. I have all of Febuary to do PT, and if I need more they ask insurance if I can get more. Hopefully they will if I need it because I want to make my goal, but if I can't at least I can get into the van easier. (I have neuropathy in my feet so I know some of that is affecting my leg/feet as well.)

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/2 16:24:30 )

CONGRATS TOTAL ON THE JOB! Hopefully everything works out with the mortgage company. I know that's stressful! I have a long ways to go before I consider looking for a house. Right now I've been living affordably with a family friend and we get along and it's been years. So I have no plans on moving soon!

January was a non-event. There was nothing special that happened and to be honest with the last few years that we had, it was a blessing.

bloop

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/2 16:32:29 )

@Totalanimefan: Ayye, congrats and I hope the move goes swimmingly! It really is a balance, haha. I'll be sure to! I plan to do some more baking tonight, and gonna make some stock, too. I forgot to buy some but good thing I have the habit of holding onto veggie and bone bits. Tonight's more banana bread, and I think I'll start proofing some sourdough. I have a culture that's gone through 3 states now, which is neat! I'm not sure how it's affected the flavor profile, so now I might have to make a new starter to compare to. For science... and yummy excuses for bread.

Quick Q for anyone: Are y'all experiencing earlier, and longer periods of sun-time yet? I just noticed it last night, and it's confirmed this morning! Super bright for 7:30! Time to get plants started, too.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/2 16:48:37 )

@macsen191: wow that sounds really tough. I’m sure that you will be able to put in the work to get better. If you don’t mind me asking, what happened? (You don’t have to say)

@Bonnie: thanks! I’m liking the job so far. That’s good that you get along with your family. Me not so much except for my sister. She is moving in to live with us in May. My husband and I are excited for that. The mortgage rates keep going up and I’m like nooooo! Lol. They there at like 3% last year at this time and now it’s about 6.5% which doesn’t seem like much but that means it more than doubled in a year which is a big difference on a mortgage. Like hundreds more a month. ^^; but my husband and I have been savings for a while so it should be ok.

It’s nice to have nothing happen for once. Now I know why people say no news is good news lol. I hope your Feb is good too. Enjoy the nice weather before it gets too hot.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/2 17:01:46 )

@Fellowsheep: thank you. I hope so too ^^ I think it will. My husband and I have both moved a lot in our lives. I think we are going to let the movers handle a lot of it. We will pack our stuff but I think this time we are going to let them move everything. In the past to save money we would move a lot of stuff ourselves and then just let them handle the furniture because it’s too heavy for us. But this time it’s like F it. I’ll pay the extra for my sanity and save that energy for the unpacking lol.
I’m so excited for you to get into that new kitchen do you know when that’s happening? Making stock tastes so good. I sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken and the last meal I make with it is a chicken noodle soup :) super good.
Being able to make my own bread is too dangerous for me lol. I love bread a lot haha.

And yes. The days are getting longer. Our shortest day of the year is Dec 21st. And after that the days start getting longer again. In my area I think we have gained an hour and a half since? The sunset used to be at like 4:50pm and now it’s at 5:30. I don’t remember how much we have gained in the mornings as well.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/2 17:16:41 )
@totalanimefan: Not too sure, I think it is a bunch of things we moved into an apt where I didn't have to go up stairs as much, had to rehome our animals so that didn't give me much reason to go outside much(I walked the dogs and put them out on a regular basis at our old house) and my mental health got worse, etc so I didn't move around as much either. Plus my back went out on me 2 times in a year about a year ago and they think I have a pinched nerve as well in my back affecting my leg. My neropathy in my feet have gotten worse so some of it is that, and one of my doctors speculated I might have had a small stroke but didn't notice it becuae my left side is weaker than my right, but I don't think that is the case. So I think lotsa things happened all at once and it just kinda happened...

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/2 17:18:29 )

@Totalanimefan: Being able to pay the extra for sanity is such an amazing feeling. Did so during our big move, and aaahhh. Worth it. Altho we did all the moving ourselves, and it was the extra insurance that helped ease my mind. Especially during that one point where we spun in a 15ft uhaul. Our move happened to coincide with the blizzard in early Dec.

It's already happened! I'm just still very excited and happy over it lmao.

How niiice. Im excited for more daylight, means I can feel cozy doing some afterwork shoppin haha.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.