Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature I think I leveled up in Japanese today

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/5 02:44:13 )

Hi all, I'm not sure if talking about foreign language goes in this forum or not ^^;

Anyway, today I had a question in Japanese about the verb(s) to pay. Harau and Shiharau
As you can see their both use Harau but one just has 'shi' before it. The Hara(u) is the same Kanji too.

So I asked one of my Japanese friends IN JAPANESE to please explain the difference, if she could, between the two verbs. And since she doesn't know English I said obvs her reply can be in Japanese.

This is a big step for me as I've never asked about the Japanese language differences or nuances in Japanese, only in English. And I am to understand a concept like this in Japanese. I feel proud and like I've come a long way since starting to learn this language many years ago. :)

Do any other of your language learners do have? Have you done this? Is there another big step in your language learning journey that you have accomplished?

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/5 19:14:14 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

The only language I'm really interested in learning is sign language - ASL, to be exact. I have found that there are quite a few people on platforms such as TikTok that have been super helpful for me. That's the main way that I am learning now, actually!

We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/5 21:21:55 )

@Mellonin: Oh I learned ASL before I studied Japanese. It's a great language! If you are able to, to you learn fastest being along people who are deaf. If you are able to go to a community meeting/hangout that would be cool. My teacher was deaf and she also taught us a lot about the community and the culture and those are soo important if you want to use it for a job, or having friends who are deaf. :)
How long have you been studying it?

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 00:51:22 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

It took me a long time before i was comfortable enough to talk in english (both online and irl)
Mainly due to having had a friend who made fun of me bc i pronounced things wierdly and had alot of spelling mistakes... I became more confident when i met my best friend who seemed to be worse then me lmao. However instead of making fun of her i helped her with the things i knew.
Since then ive only talked english to my friends, by the time i first had english class (i was like 18) i didnt have to study for it at all lol.

Ive never actually sat down to "learn" english. Im also not sure at wich point i started understanding it. My family has a basic understanding of english but never helped me with any of it. I just remember as a child wanting to look up things about littles pets shops, being bummed out there was nothing availble in my native language (Dutch/flemmish) and forcing myself to look at the english content lol

Its come so far that i now even think in english! Eventhough i still talk in my native language daily. I think thats mainly due to being online so much. Theres a few things i still think in my native language tho, like doing math/counting or needing to say the alphabet

A language i really want to learn is sign language, 1 bc i think its a cool language and 2 if its ever needed i could jump in to help translate stuff ect. Ive watched some videos on VGB (vlaams gebaren taal = flemmish sign language) however id like to learn from a real person, i feel like it would help me beter if somebody whos fluent can correct me if im doing it wrong

Other then that i can understand (not speak) a little bit of german due to our languages being very similer. And i can read a little bit of french, but i dont understand it at all if its spoken lol.

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 01:36:51 )

@Totalanimefan: I would definitely want to be fluent enough to ask permission before I tried to insinuate myself into a meeting or community event, since I am NOT part of the deaf community, just an outsider trying to learn more.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 02:06:52 )

@Mellonin: I wasn’t fluent before I joined one but maybe the one near you could be not used to outsiders. The one I went to the teacher also was apart of so they were always happy to teach hearing people but I guess that might not be the same for everyone. Lots of high schools and colleges offer ASL. That could help you learn more.

@GoblinsAndTea: wow your English so is good I literally never knew until now that it wasn’t your native language. You are so good. And it’s ok if you make mistakes because English is hard. There are a lot of rules and ever more rules that get broken. I don’t think I would understand it if I wasn’t native because when I would take English grammar classes in school it was always my worst grade. I would never understand it. Learning Japanese has helped me understand grammar better.
When I was learning American sign language in college I also worked and we had a guy that was deaf and came into our store. I helped him out with what he needed and he was very happy! I’m sure it’s hard when deaf people have to write everything down for us.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 16:02:11 )

@Totalanimefan: The fact that you knew somebody in the community probably had a lot to do with the welcome that you received. Me, as an outsider, just randomly showing up and insinuating myself into their community, without a welcome or invitation? I'm not so sure I would be as welcome as you were!

Mellonin's Ramblings

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/6 17:04:02 )

@Mellonin: I meant like you could see something online and ask if you could come in rl lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.