Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Still dealing with Long Covid

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 16:49:52 )

Hey all, I feel mostly like I had to make this thread to vent about it because I know that there is no instant cure but anyway....

I've been COVID-free for about 3 weeks now but my husband and I still have long covid symptoms. The worst one for me is brain fog. I'm horrible at remembering, learning new info, finding the words for what I want to say and I feel very much not myself mentally. Of course all of these things happen to some people some of the time, but for me I literally could read a page in my textbook and couldn't answer the practice problems about what I just read, hell, I could barely tell you at all about what I just read.
I struggle to communicate, I was at a bike shop yesterday and I was trying to compare my current bike to a new one I was looking at and the lady helping me kept asking me what I meant or suggesting a different word that fit better into what I was trying to say.
I want to take my exam for my current class that I've been stuck on for over a month, but I feel like I barely know anything even though I read the whole textbook and wrote two essays for the class. I'm reviewing a prep for the exam lecture for my class and I'm like wow, I barely remember reading this.
I also am having trouble focusing. It's getting a little better but I'll be listening or watching something and my mind will travel to something else randomly every few mins and then I realize I'm no longer paying attention. I keep thinking about my job interview, or packing for my move in the middle of the month, or Mother's Day, or my school work, or Voltra, or video games. It's never ending and I just want to be able to focus on one thing at a time.

Oh and I still have very low energy compared to before, but it is getting better slowly over time.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my Ted Talk. Try not to get COVID, ok?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 17:19:51 )
    @Totalanimefan: I’m really sorry this is happening to you :( I wish there was something I could do to help, all I can offer is virtual hugs. I guess just take it as easy as you can? Are there support groups out there for people with long COVID?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 17:33:05 )

@sunny: Thank you. I have found some things that can help. Mostly it's just time. It seems like it's getting slightly better each week, but I'm still not myself.
I read that vitamins can help since you also kinda aren't eating as well post-covid. My appetite is all over the place depending on the day, but also I'm very low energy so it's hard to find the energy to cook.
I also read that working out like walks are good and so is short but intense things, like jumping jacks. I've been going to walks a lot and I did a bike ride on Saturday. As for the short but intense, I do have stairs in my house. It's kinda intense to go up them quickly sometimes.
The other is getting your booster, but obvs I need to talk with my Dr about that, when I can take it, and what she has read about it too.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 17:39:20 )
    @Totalanimefan: Vitamins could be good! And electrolyte drinks etc. Anything to give your brain and body a boost, which it sounds like it needs :(
    At least you are keeping active. Idk if I would have the motivation to do that, so well done :D
    Do you think you will get the booster? I didn’t know the booster helps after you’ve already had Covid.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 18:17:09 )

@sunny: Yes they both need a boost.
I don't have the motivation everyday. But I do live in a walkable city and I'm car-free so sometimes you have no choice but to walk lol.
The booster helps with long covid symptoms. Also the vaccine + actually getting the virus is good for you future immunity.
I just don't know how long I need to wait between actually getting covid and getting a booster.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 18:27:38 )
    @Totalanimefan: I’m car free too, I know how it gets lol. Sometimes you have to walk! That’s good though, hopefully it moves your recovery along faster.
    Is your school being understanding?
    That is actually pretty cool, I didn’t know that about the booster. I have lost track of how many vaccines I’ve had… 3, I think??? Idk, it seems like forever ago that COVID first started…. :O

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 18:34:54 )

@sunny: I hope that it helps my recovering. The fact that I can notice a difference each month gives me hope, but the fact that I'm still dealing with this weeks later is hard.
Yes they are. I'm really luck, I just feel like I'm running out of time. I have 12 classes left and my term ends on Sept 1st. I could just pay for another term no problem, but my original goal was to finish in 1 year (Sept 1st, 2021 to Sept 1st 2022) but I feel like because I had Rona and still have long covid, I won't be able to.

Yeah I learned that from my aunt who works at a Dr's office. It seems to help people dealing with long covid. My husband has had 3 shots as well, I've had two. It was just as bad for the both of us, but different symptoms. It does seems like a long time ago, doesn't it?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 18:43:40 )
    @Totalanimefan: It does sound really tough :( but at least you’re noticing small progress, that’s better than nothing :) it sounds like one of those things that is going to take time to improve, which really really sucks right now :(
    Will it be expensive? I’m gutted for you because I know you had your plan and you were going to finish quickly etc, and you were doing so well but then you got ill :( it’s really rotten luck :(
    That sounds like it could be good for you then, hopefully the booster helps you out, if you do end up getting it!

Voltie — They/He Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 19:41:39 )
Should they keep it on display...

@Totalanimefan: Hey, Thought I'd give some tips and advice as someone who basically always has brain-fog and memory issues.

1. Put text through a text-to-speech reader and read along with it. It makes it easier to focus and process the information. If it's in a book, you can read it aloud to yourself. I use this website to do it. It also has a dyslexia font which is amazing.
2. Get fuel in your system. Water, snacks, caffine, regular meals. Make sure you are fed and hydrated properly, because it will reduce the symptom some.
3. If you find yourself struggling, take a break. Take a quick lap 'round the house or take a walk outside! This is also a good time to get a snack and water.
4. If you are trying to remember something, tell someone else about it. It actually helps to remember it if you inform others, and in the case that you forget, someone else knows! My mom and I do this to eachother a lot, since two brains work better than one.
5. See if you can get captioning on videos and audio content. If it doesn't have it by default and it's for school, try asking your professer for help. There are also auto-caption plugins for browsers, but I haven't found one that works for the LMS my classes are on. This does the same thing as #1.

Or redecorate?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 21:03:51 )

@MaxIsConfused: Thank you so much.
1 I actually always use a text-to-speech reader. I'm an auditory learner and it really helps me!
2 I used to be better about those things but it's harder with the brain fog. I should really make sure I'm better about that.
3 And I should take more breaks. I used to be the kind of person that could study for hours and then take an hour break and study for hours, but I guess my brain is different now. Maybe I should take more breaks.
4 I used to do that a lot. I would always say the best way to learn/remember something is to teach someone about it. I feel like I don't really have anyone atm. My husband is very busy with work. I will see what I can do.
5 I do have that on my videos. It's right about 95% of the time. I wish it was better, but I do use it for every single video :)

Thank you again for your tips. I did know most, but it's always great to get a reminder, esp when my brain is like this. It means a lot to me.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 21:18:57 )

@sunny: Yes luckily my dizziness is gone, my cough is mostly gone, I can walk up the stairs without feeling like I just ran a mile. Still around are the low energy and brain fog like I said and my husband is still having GI issues and low energy too.
I know, I was totally on track and this was actually supposed to be the easier term since I finished 16 classes last term. But two new classes got added for the degree course, so I now have 12 classes left instead of 10, and of course I didn't plan for Rona and having long covid. Luckily one of the new classes I heard was really easy and it's just two essays so I could probably finish that in 2 days if my brain gets better. I heard that if you only have like one or two classes left that instead of paying for a whole term it's just paying for 2 classes. I don't know the price but I would think it would be at least half price. I have 4 months left in my current term. I really was giving it my all and happy to do so. I've wanted a degree for many years.

@koneko: Thank you. I will try meditation, it's something I haven't done in a while because when I used to do it (post-2020) I would just think about Rona and how horrible the world is atm.
I think I have to realize that I need more breaks now and I can't do things like I used to be able to. It's really sad, but it's the truth right now. I just feel like I have so much to do between now and Sept 1st (end of my current term) there is moving this month, and potentially a new job, but even if I don't get that, I have friends coming in June, my bday in July with my dad visiting, Otakon, and a wedding to go to in Aug (And my husband and I are the best couple, so we have to be there and help with the wedding). 0-0
I wouldn't feel too bad about comparing what I wrote to yourself. Cause before covid I would forget things, or not be able to find the right words, but this is way more, like so much so that I feel stupid and I feel like I can't express the simplest things. Yeah, I'm able to write this but it's taking me 4x as long and I'm constantly changing and editing this post before I post it to make sure that I'm making sense. Oh and another thing that's unusual, I haven't experienced anxiety since Rona. I can still feel stress, but it's like I have too much brain fog to have my brain work itself up. I don't trail off into thought anymore and I no longer have random anxious thoughts. It's very weird to me. I haven't experienced any random PTSD triggers either. It's like my brain doesn't notice things or think too deeply into things anymore.
I also can't even clean my house because I don't have the energy. I'm honestly paying for a maid next week because my husband and I just can't. We have never had to do that before. Only starting last week could I make it up the stairs without wanting to pass out.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 21:59:31 )

That's a good idea. Meditation while doing something I think might be better for me atm. I'm used to a more eastern type of meditation.
Yeah it's kinda like that, but also it's been three weeks, and it's like my brain can't think enough to give me anxiety.

Thanks, I feel like I'm giving up, or coming from a place of privilege to hire a maid, but really I'm not. If I can't do it, I can't do it. Plus the house has to be cleaned anyway before selling. And you are right that if I did use what little energy I had to clean, I should really spend it on packing, or going for a walk, or taking a mental break.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/2 23:52:20 )

Yes very happy with the small blessing I have now. Although I would gladly go back to the way things were.

I ordered Omega-3 and some other vitamins that I read online worked for some people, and it was nothing crazy. Like a mulivitamin, Omega3, Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin D.

Thanks <3

I may sound crazy, but I am taking the exam for this class in 9 mins. If I fail F it, I'll study more and take it again, but I feel like I've hit a wall with studying and absorbing info for this class, so I hope that it's good enough. I did well in the pre-exam.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 00:39:07 )

I always think are they worth the money? And I'm bad at remembering too, but I going to try my best to remember. I remembered today.

Thank you. I just finished and I did pass! Just barely, but a pass is a pass!

Voltie — They/He Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 04:19:46 )
Should they keep it on display...

@Totalanimefan: Glad to help and even more glad to hear you passed! Even if it is barely, it's good that you passed, especially considering your current circumstances!

Or redecorate?

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 04:26:53 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

i do a lot of that with my ADHD. Especially the memory issues and focus issues.
definitely don't want that to get worse or get covid at all.
*has become a homebody*

i hope it goes away soon tho. doesn't sound like a fun time at all.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 13:31:38 )

@MoodyB: thank you. I hope it does too.
@MaxIsConfused: thank you so much. I’m very happy to have passed. I really tired my hardest

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 14:11:16 )
    @Totalanimefan: congrats on passing your exam!! Well done :D

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 14:23:20 )

@sunny: Thank you! I'm very happy to have passed too. I barely did, but a pass is a pass. I'm going to work on an essay only class next and then I have one more class that is half essay/half exam. Then all exam only classes until my dissertation.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 14:55:05 )
    @Totalanimefan: A pass means you can still do it :) I believe in you!!!
    You should be proud of yourself for being able to do it, and hopefully that bodes well for your future classes.
    Which do you think you do better in, exams or essays?

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.