Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature How do you arrange the books on your bookshelf?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 18:45:17 )

Or in your personal library if you have that many.

Do you arrange books in a bookshelf alphabetically by title or alphabetically by author? If you arrange by author, should you sort alphabetically or chronologically? By color? By thickness? By how long have you had them? Read, unread?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 18:55:32 )
I arrange my books by genre. :3 Fantasy, horror, non-fiction, westerns, etc. Each genre has its own shelf.
I don't arrange them by author, although, I want to. I've been meaning to purge and do this. I know this will take me hours to do.

I have my 'queue' books pulled out just a hair, so I remember to pick it up next when I put a book away. :d I have a lot of read and unread books. Too many, maybe. -shrugs-

How's your shelf arranged? C:

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 19:00:22 )

I don't have many books. When I had more I would put all of the same series together in order. And normally I would do my oldest book/book series first and then go to newest.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 19:12:20 )
that makes sense. I think that's how I started. :3
My shelf space grew with my book collections. lol. cx

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 19:21:53 )

Yeah my idea of how to arrange them only works if you have a few series of books. Not if you have a lot of random ones.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 19:26:24 )
That's my current problem. I have a lot of random stand-alone books. Which is fine and all, but a lot of them I haven't read. I want to get a box and donate books I won't be reading to our local public-library boxes. 'Free Library'. Some parks around here have little boxes to stick books in and you can donate or trade or take from.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 19:28:30 )

I love seeing those Free Little Libraries. ^^
When I was younger I had a lot more books and I donated them all to the library before leaving for college.

Donator — She, Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 19:42:34 )

I don't have very many actual books anymore, because I read more on my kindle anymore. But I try to go by genre like historical fiction ect. but I notice that I also arrange them by which ones are more my favorites to reread and what not.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 19:47:44 )
    My books are in a box currently, because my bookshelf is full of toiletries for some reason. When I organise them, I do it by colour. It's not hard to find a specific book because I don't have many (mostly read ebooks).

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 20:10:25 )

@sunny: I always liked the idea of by color because it looks nice. Not good for big collections.
I guess you need a bigger bookcase then lol

@NixieFae: My husband has a kindle and loves it. I don't even know how many books he's bought since getting that.

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 20:40:17 )

Currently, they're mostly arranged by genre and then my favorites are put together.
I also have a shelf or two for ones I want to read soon...

Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 21:15:21 )
    When I had books, they were organized in a general by-genre section. Most of the books I have now are textbooks, and the books for pleasure are on a kindle which makes things so much more manageable for me.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 21:58:17 )
By topic and by size. The classics are together. The books on a specific topic are grouped together. The pure "read for entertainment" books are bunched together. The kids' books are together. The research and reference books are together, separated by specific topic (usually). Sometimes things share shelves. The big books on a given topic tend to be on one end or the other of the shelf... but sometimes not. It's not-quite-chaos... but it's a mess that makes sense to me. :3

... and now that I've triggered everyone with OCD, I'll take my leave.... XD

Interesting question to ask, though... and interesting topic! :3

Donator — SIR Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/23 12:40:05 )
🌈 Have you ever fed a lover with only your hands, or looked fear in the face and simply said, "I really don't care!"?🌈

Not gonna lie, there for a while it was by the Dewey Decimal System. Now, it is more by genre. I try to keep like items together. I also watch out for the weight of the books and so larger or heavier books or book series go near the bottom of the shelves and lighters up top. Most of the books I own are read 100%. I would say 75% of my books have been mostly read. The remaining 25% have been opened, sniffed, and most likely are used for reference or for specific information.
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/23 17:24:45 )

@Wildfire: You win. I think I like your way the best lol. And thanks for saying that you like it. I'm always trying to find interesting things to post on Voltra. ^^

@Kent: Nice and simple. I like it.

@blue: That's a good idea. My husband uses his kindle daily. Mostly he reads light novels.

@Stinky: Heck yeah. Good system.

@Xanthan: Wow that's awesome! You must have a lot of books?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/24 14:06:52 )
@Totalanimefan: lol - I noticed! You keep making new topics. That's usually a good thing :3

I forgot to mention that my unread books are usually stacked horizontally in front of the other books that line the shelves. And that most of my reading is on the kindle these days. Those books are not so organized XD

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/24 17:35:18 )

@Wildfire: Thank you. You don't think people will get sick of me? XD
That's a good way to be able to see which books you haven't read yet, but also it's very simple. I like simple tricks. My husband loves his kindle so much. He uses it daily.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 13:45:31 )
@Totalanimefan: Yes, it's quite simple and very practical. It keeps my unread and "want to read" books immediately in view - if I put them in with the other books, I'd probably lose them XD Some of my reference books get stacked sideways on the shelves too - especially if I am using them a lot at a given time. I love the kindle for the immediate ability to get and read a book, and for not having to deal with a book light or background light (important since most of my reading is at night).

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 18:18:04 )

@Wildfire: Yes almost all of my husband's reading is at night while I'm asleep in bed lol. He's a night owl and I used to be a morning person, now I'm just a get enough sleep person haha
I feel like most of the books I have now are reference. Textbooks for Japanese and cookbooks.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She, Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 22:20:14 )

@Totalanimefan: I bought a couple actual books a couple months back and I haven't even read them, I actually just ended up buying them digitally lol. buying books by kindle can be pretty addictive haha, it also helps having kindle unlimited! Which is a godsend when you can't afford to buy new books :p

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.