Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Language Learning Lounge

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/6 00:06:13 )

@Goblin: Man I wish I could do that with Japanese. Just learn it early so it was easier to absorb. Kids brains are good like that.
Also destroying the language for memes is acceptable lol

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/6 01:11:40 )

@Goblin: Yeah kids just learn everything so quickly. It's pretty amazing.
I studied Japanese at University for two years it was my major (and then I dropped out but not because of Japanese). I wish that I was better at remembering all the grammar that I learned. I'm a very auditory learner so I have to hear it a bunch of times before I can remember it well and no one else in my class was like that. They would remember the grammar like it was a math equation and I just don't learn that way. Because it was at the University level the teachers didn't really repeat things over and over, they said it once and then had the class try to say it. Which is good still when you are only meeting in person like 4 hours a week, it was just hard.
Now the grammar that I got down, I will probably never forget, but sometimes I forget how to say things. I guess that's normal for any language.
My Kanji could use some work. I probably know like 300-400 but you need like 600+ to be able to read the newspaper. Japanese kids can't read the paper until they are about in middle school because of Kanji.

What actually really helps me and is fun is with Apple Music when you listen to songs they have timed lyrics and pretty much all my music is Japanese. So I can learn new Kanji that way and they grammar is a little different with song lyrics but I have learned a lot of words, grammar and Kanji that way and it's fun for me. I think that's one of the most important things about learning a language is that is has to be fun. No one wants to sit in a classroom and read a textbook all day long. We want to play games, or listen to music or read social media. etc. Things that have real world applications.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/6 01:12:05 )

Oops. Didn't mean to write you an essay there. XD

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/7 23:43:05 )

Total- I've heard some Namie Amuro songs before. That ones is pretty; I can see how it would make a good wedding song

Goblin- Yeah, I like to build up a good base of grammar and vocab before moving on to immersion. Sticking with TTMIK and Drops seems like a good plan. Dialects are interesting. A lot of my family has a different dialect than I do due to where they live, and the way they say some things is interesting to hear

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/7 23:46:33 )

I didn't post for a couple of days, and I was kind of lazy on Friday. On Friday I only did my Anki reviews, and on Saturday I spent a good chunk of time on Russian, but I didn't get my Korean immersion in. I'm going to try to get back on track today. For Russian, the lesson I'm on is about the past tense and reflexive verbs. It's much easier than the lessons about cases

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/8 00:35:31 )

@Starlight: Ooh you have? Do you know which Namie Amuro songs you have heard before?
A popular artist in Japan right now is Kenshi Yonezu. I really like his work. He writes his own music and he does all the art work for his album covers!
Peace Sign - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7w5IMyJ3pM (From My Hero Academia)
Orion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzAyrgSqeeE (From March Comes Like a Lion)

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 12:06:32 )

@starlight: Oh hello there! I'm a language person too! 8D
As I can see, you are learning russian. Russian is my first and native language, I can help you any time with it! I'm very good at it, even better than many russians, especially - in writing! 8D
I would like to study English more, even though it's quiet fluent, but I've got less practise.
I do also speak Lithuanian and basic Japanese.
My goal now - learning Norwegian. I'm inlove with Norway and I'd like to move there in the future.

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 22:11:15 )

@Edelaen: Ooh, thank you for the offer! At this point I think I just need to see grammar more to get used to it and really drill it into my memory. I've only been learning Russian for a little over two months, so I'm still working on the basics of things like cases, tenses, and such.

Your English does seem pretty proficient from what I can tell from your post. There is one thing I noticed though. You used the word quiet where you meant to use the word quite. Quiet means silent and quite means like very. I'm pretty sure I've seen my fellow native speakers mix those up too though, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think I've even seem some people mix them up with quit before.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 22:22:29 )

@starlight: Of course! If you have any questions or troubles with russian - do not hesitate to ask!
Oh yes, I know about these two words "quiet" and "quite", so do I know their meanings.
My problem is that my fingers mix up always, that's why I'm making these mistakes. My apologies, I'll fix it up! 8D
The real problem I'm facing are tenses.
We, russians, have only past, present and future tenses.
But I can easily lose myself in english tenses. After so many years of learning english I'm still making mistakes. Only practical speaking and intuition can help me to figure out which tense to use, lol...

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 22:25:24 )
-stops in-

I am currently trying to learn Italian, and relearn French. I'm playing with a little Latin (when I need a break from the other two) and I have always wanted to learn Mandarin Chinese. My native language is (American) English.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/12 22:43:28 )
(I haven't thoroughly read everyone's replies yet, or know what you're all trying to learn (thus the short reply above^^), but I think it's great that so many of us are trying to learn other languages, and think it's a great idea to have a thread where we can chat about our languages, experiences, share tools etc.!)

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/13 23:09:10 )

@Edelaen: Ah, I see. Yeah, I never really thought much about English tenses before I started trying to learn other languages. Some things that can be expressed with just the simple present tense in Korean have to be in the present progressive tense in English and such. I can see why it would be confusing

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/14 01:45:06 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

This is such a great idea for a thread.
tho i can only speak English

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/04/16 22:10:07 )

I haven't posted here in a bit since I haven't been very active on Voltra, but I'm still studying Russian and Korean. For Korean I've mostly just been focusing on reading, and for Russian I'm currently on lesson 20 of 30 in the book I'm using. Lesson 20 is about verbs of motion, which are a bit complicated in Russian~

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/5 19:58:16 )

I added this site to the resources post for Korean:
https://mirinae.io/#/

I found it a few days ago when I saw another Korean learner mention it, and I really like it so far. It seems pretty helpful, and I've been using it more than Papago since I found it.

I want to add a few more Russian resources to the post as well when I get the chance.

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/13 23:43:11 )

Update!
I added Language Learning with YouTube, Language Learning with Netflix, and CaptionPop to the general resources post. I've been using Language Learning with YouTube for a week, and I really like it.

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/18 02:19:48 )

Updated! I added some more general and language-specific resources to the first page.

And it's been a few months since my last post here, so an update on my language learning:
For Korean, I've been focusing on intensive reading, but I've been trying to add some more listening practice back in. I do listen to Korean songs relatively often, but I don't really use songs to study. For Russian, I finished The New Penguin Russian Course, so I've been trying to listen to podcasts/watch videos meant for learners as well as read texts/stories written for learners. I throw in some grammar review from time to time as well. It's my first time learning a language with cases and verb aspect like this, so the grammar is particularly difficult. Russian grammar seems to trip me up more than Korean grammar, which I didn't except. I try to keep up with my Anki reviews for both languages, but sometimes I miss a day and they pile up a bit.

★~~Questing~~★

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.