Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk What would you like to see included in the curriculum in high school for the 21st century?

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/14 17:24:17 )

The world has changed a lot and will continue to change quickly. What is something that you think should be taught in high school, either because you wished you could have learned it, or because you want your children to get the best education.

I'll start by saying that I wish that they taught more life skills. How to you register to vote in your state? How do you do taxes? How to you open a retirement savings account? What are the different retirement savings accounts? How do you buy a house?
What basic cooking skills do I need? How to be handy around the house would be nice too.

I know that now we have Youtube and the internet and anything we want to learn we can, but sometimes it's nice to have a teacher teach you in a classroom setting while you are young.

Other things that might be a good idea but it might not apply to everyone would be a typing class (most kids know how to do this), coding class, computer software class, etc.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/14 17:38:44 )
I agree with you, life skills should be one of the priorities. And at this point since college is expensive and most places want you to have a bachelors degree now...schools should teach technical skills as well. That’s four years of life that could be used in a better way.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/14 18:34:54 )

I think that's a great idea. I feel like HS doesn't teach you out to be in the real world, but college does a much better job at it.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/15 00:00:35 )
@Totalanimefan: the thing is though I believe that at high school some things and skills are ready to be learned. I know so many people who at 25 don’t even know how to manage their own bank accounts, or cook a decent meal.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/15 00:30:46 )

@Peptobismol: I think HS should do that. I'm just saying that HS doesn't lol

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/15 00:47:55 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah I know and it’s a bummer to!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/15 02:42:01 )

@Peptobismol: What can anyone do about it? I feel like schools are so stubborn about changing anything they teach.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/10/15 02:56:22 )
Well I think parents should get together and go to the school board or conduct a board meeting and ask for changes, it’s hard to really change anything though because schools have to abide by a state curriculum. So it would take a lot of people who can go to the state government/educational department to spark some kind of change. The thought of teaching kids just to pass a state exam is bullshit in my opinion and is why so many people who start college have a hard time.

Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.