Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Cycling Boom in the US

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 06:54:29 )

Washington Post did a short 4-min video on bike shops and how people are out riding in greater numbers than before. It made me smile so I thought that I would share it with you.

My Twitter post about it.

What do you think? I hope that more people will start biking.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 08:01:09 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

It's about 20 minutes of driving to get to the edge of town. Longer for shops and the like, closer to half an hour
Biking will take longer (approximate walking time from the nearby theme park to one of the further in schools is 5-6 hours, for instance, as I found out from a girl we picked up when she had been walking home at the end of her shift)
So while yeah, it would be nice, I live next to a cow farm. It isn't an option for everyone, unlike a city person where everything you need is within three miles of you

Put ya guns awn!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 08:17:18 )

@Kitalpha Hart: I didn't say that everyone had to start riding a bike. XD It just made me happy to see that it's getting more popular. I grew up in a small town of about 10k people. I really liked riding my bike to the park. (I never rode it to school or for work). Now where I live it's a bit too dangerous to ride your bike on the main road. Drivers will hit you.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 08:27:34 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Totalanimefan: I'd like to start biking, but I can't manage the little hill nearby on a bike
Never have, even back as a kid and I did use a bike lol
It's pretty steep tho, so...

Put ya guns awn!

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 10:20:26 )

@Totalanimefan: It's good that cycling is booming, but... uhh... is this REALLY the time to be out and about cycling...?
I have to question the timing of that, > <

(Also, cycling FTW
It's a lovely way to tone muscle and increase stamina!)

♫Born of graves and left below ♪ Painted ashes, painted snow♫

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 14:53:08 )
That would be great for both their own health and the environment. (:
Sometimes it still surprises me that cycling isn't as big everywhere.
But tbh where I come from we have more bikes than people

Also @TotalAnimefan
you guys don't have (enough?) bicycle lanes? o:
Since you mentioned the chance of getting hit by a car

Donator — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 17:16:45 )
Last time my partner and I went out for a drive (just to socially distance but also get out of the house for a bit), we saw sooo many people on bikes. I'm almost tempted to get one but I feel like I'd see even more people than I would walking now, haha. Plus I have nowhere to really go on a bike, I live in a neighborhood right off a highway. I'm definitely not riding my bike on that road. D:
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 17:25:03 )

There has been a boom in cycling here too, apparently. I haven't noticed more bikes on the road and it seems like there are as many cars as ever :/

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 17:31:09 )
There's something foul about the air here...

I don't really leave the house even when we need to make grocery runs (mom does all of that and refuses to take anyone with her) so I wouldn't have noticed

When I feel safe enough I might go to the really small town I grew up in to take a bike ride around town with some friends, I need some fresh air and sunshine [insert joke about being see-through]

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 17:45:21 )

Biking is a great way to get around but where I live, with my asthma, I can't ride a bike anymore ;;
I stop breathing

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 01:13:28 )

@Kitalpha Hart: That sounds tough. I'm thinking about getting a bike for my birthday. I would love to get an eBike. So it's a normally bicycle but it has petal assist for going up hills.

@Amber Lynne: In the video they said it's actually good for social distancing because if you are too close on a bike you will crash (or fear crashing into someone) so you are naturally at least 2m away from others. I haven't cycled in years. I would love to start again.

@Siron: Cycling infrastructure is almost non-exsistant here in the US. There are some cities where it's safe to ride a bike like San Francisco, DC, NYC, Denver, and a few others. Most places are not bike friendly. My husband is British and is a very skilled cyclist. He used to cycle two miles to work and back. One day he is driving home and was hit by a lady turning that didn't see him. She asked if he was ok and the fled the scene. I picked him up and took him to the hospital. His foot/ankle is now healed but he won't ride a bike in this town anymore unless it's back streets. I wish that the US would be bike friendly.
They will give a Driver's License to almost anyone here.

@Addy: I know what you mean. I live next to a highway too. Around here I would just ride on the back streets. But if I moved somewhere more bike friendly I would love to be able to ride around or go to the store in normal times.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 01:15:42 )

@sunny: Good that bikes are more popular, it sucks that people are still making it not that safe for a bike ride.

@grost: I grew up biking in a small town to the park. That was always a lot of fun for me. My sister and I would race to see who would get there the fastest.

@Jolly: Oh my gosh, that is so scary! (And off topic but try not to get COVID either, I heard it's bad for people with Asthma.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 01:20:04 )

@Totalanimefan: That may be so, but lots of people out cycling = people geting the impression that it's ok to be outside and living life again = possible spread increase

♫Born of graves and left below ♪ Painted ashes, painted snow♫
My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 01:24:41 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Totalanimefan: ooh that would be nice

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 01:33:48 )

@Amber Lynne: That's a good point. In real life I've only seen people out cycling instead taking a neighborhood walk. No one really looks like they are going anywhere, no backpacks or gear on. Just riding slowly down the street.

@Kitalpha Hart: It would be~ I want to try out an ebike. My husband recommended it to me.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 03:12:54 )

@totalanimefan:
Yeah, everything is bad if you have asthma XD
I'll be alright though <3 thanks!

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 03:20:37 )

@Jolly: Ok. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you <3

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 12:49:39 )
@Totalanimefan: Oh sorry to hear about his foot/ankle, glad to hear it healed up though (:
Hope they'll invest more into bicycle lanes in the future, for both safety and maybe encouraging people even more to use bicycles.

Sometimes drivers around here pull off weird stuff too, especially on the roundabouts, usually cycling here is safe and lots of people do it everyday but there's always the few idiotic car drivers that are further away and still think they're fast enough to cut you off while already on the roundabout, almost got hit quite a couple of times and my sis got hit once and they just fled the scene.
But usually most know to pay extra attention because of the school kids cause about every single one of them uses the bike to get to school.

Also question, since cycling isn't /that/ big over there, does that mean there's a lot of people that might not know how to cycle?
Like around here it's taught to every kid but i wonder what that's like over there? o:
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/30 20:42:18 )

@Siron: thanks. I’m glad that it healed and that it wasn’t worse.
There are people that ask city council for protected bike lanes and more cycling infrastructure but it’s tough when the whole city council drives and views biking and something you do on the trails. It’s a culture thing but hopefully it will change in the future.
I hope you stay safe cycling. Roundabouts can be tough.

So everyone is taught how to ride a bike as a kid. It’s just one of those things you learn. But it’s considered a recreational thing and it’s not seen as a way to get from point A to B. People view people who cycle as certain kinds of people instead of thinking it’s for everyone. The culture has to change.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.