Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Mini Shops ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀art shop⠀{ yes we're open ! come chat anytime ˙˚ʚ(´◡`)ɞ˚˙ }⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/24 20:17:27 )

@xvz: Headphone logic.
Lucifer's Pet

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/24 21:05:24 )

@xvz: excellent. Added your art to their profiles! I'd be curious to see your characters if you have them :o

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/24 23:40:42 )
════════════════ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

@count trashula: aww thanks ^^
i only have 1-2 of them so far, i haven't made profiles for any of them yet! i'm kind of new to the whole character thing so i'm still putting stuff together ^^
i might get around to it this week tho :-) i drew my character again earlier today so i had a better ref for artfight lol

also here's skeever! hope you like it ^^

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 00:35:23 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@xvz: Oh I see *nods* Good luck on drawing refs for your character (take your time) ^_^

Hmmm... My character is.... How do I say this? Quite unusual (not in a bad way). (Their pronouns are she/they) Though I haven't draw a reference of them yet and I'm not so sure, I may need to play its coding around for a bit... then again, I don't even know how to change its default colour to a custom colour yet Dx

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 00:47:36 )

@chiffonorange: aw thanks ^^ i actually finished it today, i've been getting a lot faster!

honestly i'm not 100% happy with it, but every piece i do i can assess afterwards what to improve for next time :-)
i think with this one, i like how the hair colors turned out, but i think skin coloring/shading could be better for next time ^^

ooh interesting! have you used them in anything yet / do you have plans for them? how do you picture their story?
ah i'm not sure i can help since i haven't looked at it yet... i wonder there are guides or templates for toyhouse coding you can find?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 00:53:02 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@xvz: Woah, that's pretty impressive! :o I can't even draw that fast tbh xD and I think the art is pretty as well ^_^

I was planning to use them for a story but I haven't come up with one yet lol. Hmmm.... I think there are some free templates that I like but I'll post the link here later as I'm on mobile. ^_^;

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 01:00:59 )

@chiffonorange: aww thanks so much ^^
it used to take me so many hours to do, but now that i have a process down i just follow the steps and trust the process!! the ones from today only took 1-2 hrs each :0
but in the past i've spent like .......... 6-8 hrs on pieces that turned out looking really bad Lol like the painting looked worse than the sketch hahaha
i think the more i do it the faster/easier it gets :0
i think it's similar to like ... if you're cooking something you've made a lot already, it doesn't take that long! but if it's a brand new recipe it can take a long time!

cool ^^ and no rush, whenever is easiest for you

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 02:21:08 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@xvz: You're welcome! c: Ooo that makes sense (o.o ! ) It depends on the individual and how they're doing :o

Here's the template I was mentioning about earlier and this one seems easier and simple for me to use (Which is good in my opinion).

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 04:41:43 )

@chiffonorange: ooh thanks for sharing!
that looks super helpful :-)
and i bet you can pick up the coding stuff after playing around with it enough!!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 07:16:13 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@xvz: You're welcome ^_^ and I see! Thanks for the advice c:

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 15:54:09 )

@chiffonorange: let me know how it goes ^^
btw i like how the alchemist potions look w the harlequinn hat bells on ur avi :3
i thought they were part of the same item at first

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 19:33:29 )

@xvz: Making characters is one of my favorite things lol I should probably consider doing adopts or something since I make more than I can use :'U

AND THIS SKEEVER IS BEAUTIFUL. Colors, expression, you got his vibe just right, thank you!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 19:48:45 )

@count trashula: yay!!! i'm so glad u like it ^^

and ooh i've only created characters for rp's as of this year, i'm curious what the process is like for other people!
can i ask what ur mindset is like or how you go about making a new character??

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 21:57:34 )

@xvz: HMMMMMMMMMMMM... never thought much about process tbh but lemme try.

1- Reason for making character: If story or RP based, what role are they filling? If design only, what is the main source of inspiration?
2- Major aspects of appearance: What is most important to their look? What makes most sense for their role/story, or what concepts do I most want to use? Could be any trait like nationality, color scheme, species, clothing style, occupation...
3- Personality: What kind of person are they? What are their basic likes/dislikes, hobbies, etc?
4- Minor aspects of appearance: Tweaks and smaller details to better reflect personality and lifestyle
5- Backstory: Where do they come from/how do they fit into the story/how did they get there?
6- Details: Fine-tuning and stuff a lot of people wouldn't really think or care about that makes the character more of an individual. Favorites, details or their past, quirks and habits, answers to what-ifs, who their friends are, how they feel about certain topics or events, and so on. This can go on indefinitely, depending on how long I've had the character/how much they're used, and can cause future changes to their designs, driving character evolution over time.

My oldest story characters have been through so many changes, they're not even the same character any more as I've molded them from "random design I liked at the time" to "fleshed out character who has a purpose and a world to fit into". The ones who started out being made for a particular world and purpose have, understandably, changed less. The ones who have remained "design and vague personality/backstory only", which I just keep for making/getting art of and don't really belong to a story or RP, aren't as prone to change unless I get bored lol

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/26 02:31:24 )

@count trashula: ooh thanks for sharing! super helpful
i copied it into my notes for reference next time i'm character designing :3
like i think one of my characters could use some more backstory!

and that makes sense, if you're not using them as much you're not as forced to work out the kinks lol
i've never really thought about making characters just to have, it seems really fun and i wouldn't mind getting into it more ^^

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/28 07:10:59 )

@xvz: Glad that helped in some way; I guess I've been making characters for so long I took the process for granted. It's a fun thing to get into, and sometimes interesting stories can be built around characters rather than the other way around. Good luck with your designing.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/30 02:05:40 )

@count trashula: oo thanks for sharing :3 this was super helpful insight
i've never thought about building stories around characters but that's such a good idea i'll have to try that sometime!!! :-)
i guess it must feel intuitive for you at this point!

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 23:42:55 )
November 2017 - February 2018
@xvz: Hey there!!! Is this still open by chance? (It's been 4 weeks since the last post, so I want to make sure before throwing any references at you.)

I will gladly give you
- Summer Crane
- Vichard's Face
- Extraordinary Puppet

+ The rest of the amount owed in Volts.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 23:57:14 )

@lithinel: hi!! yes we are Open!! ^^

that sounds good to me :3
rn i'm leaning towards doing bigger / more finished colored and painted pieces if that influences your order at all ! (no pressure ofc)
have been trying to increase my art output more :3

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Donator — Cat Mama Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 00:14:25 )
November 2017 - February 2018
@xvz: Ahh! So happy to hear that. Your art is absolutely amazing and it would be an honor to have some of your art.

And actually, I was leaning towards a colored bust. )Possibly painted???)

There was a specific sample of yours that I was really drawn to, but I couldn't figure out if it was just flat colored or painted. So if you could let me know, that would be extremely helpful.
https://i.imgur.com/qbYyaUK.png

I'm also having trouble deciding what character I would like drawn. Since I'm an (aspiring) writer I have a lot, so it make take me a little while to pick.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.