Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat For Americans - Free Covid tests

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/18 20:35:16 )

Just FYI. My mom sent me this link today. Americans can get 4 free COVID tests send to their house through the postal service from the government.
I get some for my household and I wanted to share this with you guys. It could be good to keep on hand or to take as soon as you get them depending on your lifestyle.
Here's the link https://www.covidtests.gov

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/18 20:54:43 )

@koneko: I didn't see anything about giving them back any info. This kind of test I believe you don't need to send off to get the results. I'm not sure how long before these are considered expired, so make sure to take note of that when you get the test. (Which I think is many months, but just make sure).

I'm happy that I could help. I hope that this will help others as well.

I'm super grateful for this (as we should totally have this) but yeah where this before now. When I saw in the UK how easy it was to get a test like this and how people would just have a few of them in their homes for when they needed them and was like, damn, we need that haha.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/18 22:15:11 )

@koneko I want to say it's like the at home ones I used in England based off the name and the infographic I saw on the site. You swab yourself and then you follow the inteructions. If you did the test right there will be a line on the test. Then about 20 mins later you check again and if there is a 2nd line, no matter how faint you have Rona.
If you never see that 1st line that means the test didn't work or the person didn't swab correctly to get enough of a sample.

I always thought that it was weird or bad that we had to wait in line for tests or for the vaccine. I never liked that at all.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/18 22:47:38 )
Low, keep your head, keep your head low...
.......................................Oh, you gotta keep your head low...

I immediately signed up for my dad to get some tests. He doesn't have a car so he can't even do most covid testing locations as they require to drive thru only.

...If you wanna keep your head
Mr. Spider wants M̷̖̥͓̋͆́̚o̶̟͛̅r̴̨͍͔̦̰͙̈́e̵̝͑̆͐

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/18 22:56:31 )

These tests are for those who do lack access to testing locations to preliminarily test for COVID. I do not think there are any official documentation to be had with these tests, just for self awareness and personal choice. If a negative test is required for travel I don’t think these can fill that role. But It is nice to test yourself if you have symptoms to know what is going on!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/18 23:05:12 )

@Spider: It's really hard for those of us without a car to get tests. Thanks for doing that for him.

@Bonnie: Yeah it's not good enough for international travel or anything like that. I wouldn't say they are for people that can't get testing elsewhere. They are the quick tests that aren't as accurate as the PCR tests. Good to know for yourself if you are feeling under the weather.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/19 01:22:41 )

@Totalanimefan: yeah I suppose. I just feel like personally I’m not worried about getting them because I have the means to go get tested and I wouldn’t take any supply from potentially someone who does not have transportation or insurance.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/19 01:26:13 )
This is an awesome resource for those who can use them! Thanks for sharing!

I was told at work today that the US Health Department is no longer doing contact tracing, which I'm not sure why other than it might just be too overwhelming with the way things are. So that might be a factor why they aren't requiring documentation for these tests. I'm curious what kinds of tests these are. We have 2 different rapid tests at work, one of which was only recently delivered thanks to our governor looking out for long term care facilities.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/19 01:45:55 )

@Bonnie: That's a good point. It's been hard to get tests in my area. There hasn't been enough to keep up with demand and people wait in line for hours and then sometimes get a test and sometimes are turned away cause they ran out.

@Aisukohi: Thanks! I actually saw this link posted all over twitter when I was on it later in the day.
Ah I see. I'm not sure which kind it is.
Yeah I heard about the 1 million 'found' expired tests. I was pretty pissed over that news. Like bro.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/19 08:37:27 )

@Totalanimefan: yes, it is a hard situation but I’m really blessed because my job can 100% be remote if need be, I prefer to be in the office most times but even if the testing did run out, I can work from home so I can simply just quarantine at home and work if I don’t feel bad.

I’m not taking chances with this new variant at all but I at least have avenues to protect myself and can still work and not have to worry about bills so I’m okay with not getting these tests so that someone else can have them.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/19 17:52:54 )

@Bonnie: Totally true. My husband's work was offering free tests too, we asked for one weeks ago and still haven't gotten it. I have a feeling they are out of tests?
I'm glad that you have an employer that is good to you. (At least it seems that way)
Same. I've been inside so much. Of course the bad weather helps not wanting to go outside, but I'm taking this one seriously (as I have been with the others).

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/20 01:25:44 )

@Totalanimefan: yes! i am lucky. i already have my W-2 and never have to wait for it. so i can file my taxes pretty early i need some other paperwork though...so i have to wait for that. i was in school in 2021 so i need that paper from my college.

they probably are out of tests; it's really crazy. all the dumbies who still think it's a joke really are absurd because i know for a fact they are so mad testing is hard to do now lol.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/20 01:37:44 )

@Bonnie: Wow that's awesome! My husband's company is like that.
Good luck with taxes once you can do them. Are you doing to do them yourself?

100% agreed

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/20 01:43:18 )

@Totalanimefan: last year i did it by myself but i'm thinking this year i may used a local non-profit because i am in the income guidelines for free tax services....i had to give up nearly $200 bucks to get some money back from turbotax and i don't think i wanna do that again lol.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/20 06:59:36 )

@Bonnie: yeah I would use a service maybe ^^;

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 06:23:00 )

@Totalanimefan: yeah we gonna see. i am just waiting on my document from school and i think that is all i need lol

bloop

Voltie — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 22:21:30 )

My mom found out about this thru a cousin and she already signed up for them. I was like, "mom you don't know which test it is what if it's the mail in one" she said, "well I saw it and didn't even think about it because free test are free test". Mind you we both are just getting over being positive from the virus ourselves. The virus itself seems to be subsided and we are only really experiencing the aftermath.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/21 23:47:12 )

@Jewel the fox: It's an at home test. I think a rapid one. I don't believe it's a PCR.
It's probably good that your mom got some tests for you guys.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/22 20:12:39 )

@Totalanimefan: Yes knowing us and our health lol. And I really do hope they are rapid test.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.