Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I have a cold :(

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 01:58:07 )

I got it from my in-laws. I really didn't want to get sick. I guess it's better than COVID.....

I was traveling yesterday from the UK to the US with a sore throat. Could barely sleep last night as it moved from a sore throat to full on cold. Today I'm drinking all of the fluids and I took some medicine and had my soup and vitamins. It's still getting worse. I hope that this will pass soon.

Long story short, I don't feel well and I want someone to chat with. lol

Edit: My husband is really sweet. He is walking to the store to get my NyQuil and lotion/extra soft tissues. I have tissues, but they aren't the nice lotion ones, and my skin is naturally pretty dry. After just one day of blowing my nose, I have already taken layers of skin off my nose lol

Next day update: I started my next course and I'm just over an hour in, and nothing is sticking because of the brain fog. I guess I have to wait until I feel better to learn? lol

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 02:53:54 )
@Totalanimefan:

That sucks so much. Anytime I feel something creeping up? I always without fail whip out a few things.

- Echinacea drops
- Elderberry syrup

I will take it every so often to ensure I am keeping immunity up, but, I mix into water and chug it.

Usually, if I still have SOME energy? I will make soup before I get too worn out.

Carrots, Potatoes (sweet & golden), Celery, Onion, Garlic, Rice (or Orzo) & A hearty/rich Vegetable Broth.
*To my own as my husband is very sensitive to spice: Sriracha. // To whole batch: 1-2 bay leaves.

That said, I hope you get better soon! Having hot tea definitely also helps for times throat hurts.

(*Some studies show that honey helps, but, tons of in-depth research shows the sugar in honey naturally irritates the throat more.
I don't consume honey or any animal products/byproducts, but, if you have found honey useful to you, I suggest trying dandelion 'honey' as that has more medicinal properties).

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 02:56:04 )

@Vegan: I love both of those things. My cough drops have echinacea in them. I'm also taking Zinc and other daily vitamins. ^^

That sounds very good! Today I made chili and I hope that will help me. I have to make soups myself since I can't eat onions (they make me sick). I do love me some carrots, sweets and garlic in a soup tho!

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 03:05:50 )
@Totalanimefan:

Edited my post as I forgot to include some stuff.

That's good that the cough drops have that!
I also cannot stress enough, if you can combine echinacea with goldenseal, do it.
Those two combined are a powerhouse and have shown to reduce symptoms by a good margin.

(Shown to cut down cold/flu in half in some instances all depending on when you take it).

I always make sure to take Elderberry Syrup due to the Vitamin C and other vitamins it has,
(NEVER raw Elderberries as they are poisonous, fun fact*) and Zinc.

(Learned about the allergy thing from a doctor I listen to as he explained his experience with them). xD;

The other foods I mentioned for soups contain a lot of nutrients/vitamins in them so I don't worry too much.

As for chili? Sounds so good... I usually find it irritates my stomach when I am sick with a cold or a flu.

My stomach sometimes is sensitive to alliums (onion, leek, garlic, etc). BUT! Fun tip time!

Cutting the onion or other things similar to family and waiting 10 minutes before cooking helps release the natural gas/toxins.

Speedy Recovery your way Taf!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 03:23:51 )

@Vegan: I've never heard of Goldenseal. Maybe my cough drops have it, since it's a blend of herbs.
I knew that raw Elderberries are poisonous but I don't think that they grow wild in the US, or we have a US version. Zinc is always so helpful. It really makes a difference.
Yeah I can't have alliums except for garlic. It runs in my family too. Cooked, raw, powder, any of it, can't have it. Thanks Dad. lol
The 'chili' was really just beans, water, spices, veggies and some tomato paste. I don't make a 'traditional' chili.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 03:58:20 )

Yes! I totally feel the same. I know it's not super controllable but like maybe try to rid yourself of the cold before you have company? Apparently they have had it for 10 weeks? Or just various colds for 10 weeks. Like what? But whatever lol
I was so careful (and still careful this trip too, I even wore a mask in the car with my in-laws)
Last time I was sick before this was then too. I had a virus of some kind and I couldn't hang out at the con with my friends. :( It might have been, but probably wasn't?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 05:48:55 )
Gosh, Im sorry to hear that, total 8(
Its sweet to hear your husband is taking care of you though <3

the ones that start with a sore throat only to jump you with a full cold are the worst

Donator — He/Him Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 06:22:01 )
aw that sucks :(

hope you feel better soon~

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 15:42:13 )

@Bean: Ugh aren't they? They make you suffer in all of the ways lol
It's starting to move from a head cold down to my lungs too.
He is very sweet. He's the best.

@Shark: Thank you. I hope so too. Loving your avatar by the way. Getting some Sailor Moon 90's vibes.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 15:58:32 )
@Totalanimefan: Oh no that sounds awful D:
Have you seen a doctor?

I really hope youll feel better soon

Donator — He/Him Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 16:17:31 )
@Totalanimefan: oh thanks o: yeah you're right. I never watched that, but I love how pretty the style is.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 16:19:14 )

@Bean: It's only day 2, so not yet. If it gets bad I will. Not much they can do for a virus.
Thanks. I'm sure I'll get better, but I will probably get worse first lol

@Shark: I've only watched like 20 eps? But I appreciate the art style. I think it's the colors and the backgrounds that really give it that look.

Donator — He/Him Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 16:26:23 )
@Totalanimefan: I wanted to draw some art in that color style, but I never got around to it

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 16:53:23 )

@Shark: Maybe you could aim for that in the future. I wouldn't know how to get started with that lol

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/15 17:49:22 )

Update: As everyone knows I'm a returning student at an online Uni.
I started up my new class today but I'm not retaining any of the info. It's because of my cold I can't think straight. I guess I'm going to have to rest until I feel better. It sucks though because I only have 10 weeks of this current term left, so I'm trying to finish as many classes as possible so I can do the rest next term (which is another 6 months)
Normally my hard classes take about 2-3 weeks to finish and the easier ones take about 1 week to do. I have 17 classes left in total including my capstone (which will probably take 3 weeks to write).

I'm now just rambling but I probably have enough time even if I take a week off for my cold.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/16 03:31:58 )

@Delightfully: It totally seemed like that when I was in the UK! It was crazy. I feel like DC hasn't been too bad for those without kids as most aren't back in the office yet.
When did you start and do you have the same symptoms as me?

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/16 05:48:26 )
Totalanimefan:
Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. Elderberries definitely can grow in the states. That is sucky that onions are a struggle for you, but, chives/shallot give a good onion-like flavor, pungency, vibe.. thing? Hah. But, I make non-traditional chili too.

I grew up with chili being without ground meat, but, if it has ground meat/replacement/whatever, that's up to the person's preference I guess? I prefer vegetable-based chili as it's less heavy. Rather have corn and potatoes in it than meat/replacements. ^__^

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/16 05:52:37 )

@Vegan: it’s cool.
Yes. Onions, leeks, shallots are in everything! I can’t even buy jarred pasta sauce lol.
That sounds good. I would rather have potatoes and carrots too. I really love carrots!
My cold was tired today but that’s kinda what happens on day 3. Not yet on the uptick. Luckily it’s not nearly as bad as other colds I’ve had in the past. Or at least not yet lol

Donator — they/them Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/16 05:57:12 )
@Totalanimefan:
Fingers crossed it doesn't get too bad, I love carrots so much too!

I also add a smol (scant) amount of cinnamon to my chili. Adds depth!
I also sometimes will add cocoa powder (also adds depth).

Hoping you get well soon. I know I had a cold a while back and it sucked!
But, all I could do was just rest, while it sucked, it was very helpful.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/16 14:37:54 )

@Vegan: Thanks for your words of encouragement.
I was able to take out the trash and recycling this morning, so that feels like a win lol. But now I rest.
I should add a small amount of chili to mine. I do salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin and sometimes a dash of curry powder. (not enough to make it taste like curry tho)
Thanks. Yesterday all I could do was rest because I was tired and achy, but then I would be bored and try and do something but I would be too tired lol. Not a good feedback loop.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.