Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Life updates coming at you from me!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 13:00:47 )

Did I sound like Spark? Lol

It’s been a while since a made a topic in this forum. Before the event I said I was moving across the country from CA to DC. If you aren’t American I want you to know that it’s very far, 5 days of driving! During the event the movers came at the end of July.

After that I sold my cars and put my condo up for sale. Then with my pets, my husband and a rental SUV we packed that car and drove across the US. It took us 5 days of driving to make it over here.

Because of COVID it was way harder to find a bathroom and food to eat. We pretty much only did drive thru’s, the hotels didn’t have breakfast and you could only really be in your room. In CA all of the gas station bathrooms and rest area bathrooms are closed. So we had to wait until we got to Arizona to pee. It was about 9 hours drive just to get to somewhere we could pee! After 5 days of fast food eating, long days of driving (although the sites were beautiful) we made it to our new apartment!

It’s a 2nd bedroom. It’s the biggest place I’ve lived since before I was married and lived with family. I had only been able to afford a one bedroom in California since the area I moved from was the most expensive in the US. We got a two bedroom because we are both working from home, so we need an office for both our desks and work stuffs. The views from my apartment are so beautiful. It’s a high rise building I’m living in (first time for that too). I don’t think I could ever get tired of the view. The inside is nice too.

Anyway, we went a whole week and a half without our stuff here. And we were both working like that. Then finally on Wednesday the movers cane with our stuff. They did a shitty job and we have to make an insurance claim for the things they broke but at least I’m no longer sleeping on my blow up mattress!!
We spent all of Wednesday unpacking but we still aren’t done yet. We are mostly taking it but by bit but I just want to get it done and be able to relax. Lol

So that’s my update.
TL;DL I moved across the country which is very far and it was tough but it seems to be worth it. I’m still unpacking.

Twitter link with photo from day 1
https://twitter.com/hannahfoll/status/1292570440393805824?s=21

Donator — ghost Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 13:04:34 )

@Totalanimefan: That sounds super eventful and also tiring but it's so nice to hear you're in an even better place than before!

I wish I could make a big move like that, i dream of stuff like that all the time!!

How are you enjoying the highrise view?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 14:06:35 )
@Totalanimefan: A long move like that is definitely an adventure but it sounds like you've made it and are relaxing in to your new place. Congrats on making it across country!

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 14:37:50 )

@Totalanimefan: the views from your apartment are great! Is that the ocean? Idk if DC is on the coastline.
I just thought... What about your awesome bathroom that you guys had done??

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 15:32:45 )

@Ghostie: thank you. We are both so tired but we aren’t fully unpacked yet.
We are both happy here. My husband is British so he’s not the biggest fan of American car culture. He’s happy to be car free here and so am I. Plus cars are really expensive when you think about all the insurance, gas and maintenance you have to pay on top of the payment.
I am loving the views. I think it will be hard to go back to living on the 1st or 2nd floor after this. lol
Maybe one day you could move. Where are you now and where would you like to move to?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 15:36:08 )

@Wildfire: thanks~ that’s why I haven’t been here much in the last month. We were both still working full time except for when the movers where here and when we were driving.
It would have been a more fun adventure if there wasn’t Covid. Normally on a road trip I like to stop and see things or eat locally but at things were closed, or hotspots. Arizona was pretty bad.

@sunny: that’s a very wide river. DC isn’t far from the ocean but I wouldn’t say it’s a costal place. It’s just right where two rivers meet. So that’s cool.
I’m sad to have left that bathroom but it will hopefully sell the house!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 15:54:51 )

@Totalanimefan: I just searched it on Google maps. That river is indeed wide. :O
That's a shame about the bathroom, but I am sure that the next occupants will love it!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 17:17:10 )
════════════════ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

@totalanimefan: ooh what are you thinking for apartment layout for the second bedroom / office?
are you and your husband going to both work in the office room at the same time during the day?
or would you keep a desk in the living room so it's easier to take meetings separately...?

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 18:27:49 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Congrats on the successful move.
Sorry to hear that the movers broke some stuff tho.
That's never great.
tho for me it's always my family who breaks stuff. :vanora_sweat:

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/23 20:43:36 )

I'm glad you made it safely, even if some of your stuff didn't >< How did your pets fare? Are they settling in ok? That's a really long trip, but at least they don't have to wait for an open bathroom to pee!

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 00:43:24 )
🌈 You gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser
You gotta be hard, you gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger
You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together
All I know, all I know, love will save the day🌈

@Totalanimefan: Thanks for the update. I been wondering about you and how everything went. It made me cringe just reading about the lack of bathroom access. Bless your heart. I saw the pics. I love your new place. IIt is so beautiful.
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 07:17:43 )
@Totalanimefan: Looks like you're over by Crystal City/Alexandria, if I judge the landscape right.

Also, you could take the Metro to Otakon next year, lol.
See what conventions I'll be at next

Final Fantasy XV: Worst. Bachelor Party. EVER.

Donator — ghost Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 12:01:00 )

@Totalanimefan: I've been car-less my whole life and I honestly prefer it this way too! Public transpo, biking, walking, better for me and the environment.
I could never live in a highrise. 2nd floor is the highest for me. I get dizzy and scared when I'm too high, even if there's no windows. If I know I'm high up I get terrified lol. Anxiety is crazy! I'm glad you love it so much though, sounds perfect for you :)

I live in a big city in Florida. I'd love to move somewhere a bit quieter.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 20:09:28 )

@sunny: yeah. That bathroom better sell the house for us. Because until the house sells we have to pay for the rent here and the mortgage there.

@xvz: we are going to work in the same room. We thought about having one desk in the living room but we don’t have meetings that often and the living room would be too cramped with a desk there. We have space in the 2nd bedroom for two desks and a sofa.

@MoodyBats: thank you!! We only had one thing that broke that we packed. It was one glass cup. Other than that it’s been ok with our packing. We were pretty careful though.

@Priestess of Pie: thank you. The stuff can be replaced. We can’t. ^_^
The animals are doing better now that the stuff is back. My cat really missed his cat tree. He was kinda going crazy without it.

@Xanthan: Thank you! We all made it here in one piece and like it so far.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 20:13:30 )

@onsenmark: don’t be giving away my secrets. Lol
I know I don’t live in DC proper but I wanted to be semi-Anon about it. Like how here you don’t give our your address but you say things like oh yeah I live in Orlando or northern TX or whatever. Lol

I will totally be taking the metro to Otakon 2021. I would use the metro a lot in the past went I visited the area for Otakon.

@Ghostie: Car free is the way to be! My husband has a nice bike. I would like to get one. They are pretty popular here. All the bike shops are pretty sold out due to Covid related bike boom.
I was kinda scared of being that high up but after the first week I got used to it a lot faster than I would have thought.
I’m from FL! I grew up one county above West Palm Beach.

Donator — ghost Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 20:18:18 )

@Totalanimefan: ohh nice, im born and raised in tampa, ive lived all over this area. pinellas, hillsborough, citrus, lots of cities within those counties lol. can't escape the state soon enough though.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 20:49:35 )

@Ghostie: yeah I love Florida but I hate that it’s so hard to get ahead there when you are young. Either you can be in teaching, healthcare or retail basically. I hate that Florida politicians don’t try to bring jobs to the state (like TX or other states do). They just line their own pockets and let other do whatever. It’s too bad because sometimes I miss my family, my friends that still live there and I really miss the winters there. But I can’t live in an area where I’m stuck in retail the rest of my life with all the snowbirds. Nope.

Donator — ghost Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 21:08:01 )

@Totalanimefan: yeah its really difficult finding good work here and being able to afford the cost of living. i hate the seasons here, though. i need more than summer, summer, a week of fall, summer lol.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 21:23:58 )

@Ghostie: yeah. The job market there I feel like is one of the worse in the nation.
I do love the warmth but I know it’s not for everyone. I do agree that it can get too hot though. Holy cow Disney from June-August is just no. It’s like 110F.
I do like 75 with a slight breeze during the winter. I don’t do well with winter. I get seasonal depression pretty easily.
I’ve learned that only places aren’t FL hot but also aren’t exactly cool either. I just came from the Bay Area. And even though most of the summer is cooler than FL there are also awful heatwaves that cause rolling blackouts, wildfires and not everyone has AC there in the first place. There was a lot of 90+ degree days and the wildfires that are going on there right now are no joke. I’m glad I got out in time.
DC is also hot but not like FL though. Does get above 90 semi-regularly now cause of climate change vs 10-20 years ago.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/24 21:58:43 )

@Totalanimefan: I'm sure it will sell quickly! I hope you don't have to pay for two houses for too long :O

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.